Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinarback 86H  (Read 1976 times)

fpoole

• http://www.frankpoole.com
Sinarback 86H
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

Is anyone out there using the Sinarback 86H?  I have been shooting with a Sinar 54H on a P3 for quite some time now and am very happy with the image quality.  I'm considering trading up and have extensively tested the 54H and 75H side-by side but don't feel there is that much of a difference in IQ.  I actually prefer the captures from the 54H - I think they are sharper. 
Of course I will do my own tests with the 86H, but it would be helpful to hear of other's impressions of this back - especially from those who have worked with the other Sinarbacks.

Theirry - are you still out there? - I know you are no longer with Sinar but I hope you are well and if you are reading this I send a big hello.

Best,

Frank Poole
www.frankpoole.com

TH_Alpa

Re: Sinarback 86H
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:23:16 am »

Thanks Frank, same goes to you, "a big hello"

Yes, not longer with Sinar, but with Alpa since a couple of months. If you weren't aware, here:

Information Alpa

Best
Thierry

Theirry - are you still out there? - I know you are no longer with Sinar but I hope you are well and if you are reading this I send a big hello.

Best,

Frank Poole
www.frankpoole.com

PdF

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:17:47 am »

Dear fpoole,

I recently tested this back in my own studio, and in conditions close to what I apply daily. I also tested the 75H, and could compare with what I usually practice (43H multishot 16x). All mounted on Sinar P2, Sinarcam 2, and Sinaron digital optics. Broncolor Pulso 4 and Grafit A2 and A4.

The tests were carried out relatively quickly, by not updating and calibration specific to each back.

To meet the most reliable conditions of comparison, the aperture of the digital Sinaron 180mm f11 was still, by varying the power of flash to compensate for differences in sensitivity of the backs.

First degree, my conclusions are:

- With 75H and 86H in 4 shots mode, the homogeneity of smooth surfaces is better than 16 shots backs (I tried a long 54H some time ago). A 100% or more, a neutral gray is "contaminated" with a 43H or 54H, even when perfectly calibrated: it also depends on the quality of the lightning flashes, which must be strictly homogeneous. This is an area where the 4 shots are much more comfortable.

- The fine nuances of colors is significantly improved on the 75H, and more on the 86H. They are back working in native 16bit/color, not 14 bit/color extrapolated to 16bit/color like 43H and 54H. This is one of the most important progress of the "new" backs.

- I was very impressed with the quality of optical performance with the 86H. Compared to the 75H, it seems that the image has been improved sharpness in Photoshop or Lightroom, so that it is not: both files have been opened in CaptureShop identically, with no accentuation. Very convincing!

We'll talk soon again!

PdF
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:23:17 pm by PdF »
PdF

fpoole

• http://www.frankpoole.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:40:35 pm »

PdF,

Thanks for sharing your observations. They are similar to mine. I did see slightly better smoothness and color in gradations with the 75H, just not enough to justify trading up.  Also 1-shot captures were better on the 75H but 99% of my shots are in 4-shot mode.   16-shot capture is very difficult in my studio-too close to a busy street.  I can get a good one after 2 or 3 tries but  is just not practical and not a viable workflow for me.

I have found that the Sinaron HR lenses make a huge difference in image quality, especially in 4-shot mode, are essential in getting the most out of any sensor, and well worth the extra $$.   

When I test the 86H you'll hear from me. 

Best,

Frank Poole

Pages: [1]   Go Up