Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long lenses: Rodenstock/Schneider  (Read 1134 times)

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Long lenses: Rodenstock/Schneider
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:13:02 am »

Hi,
What are the best longer digital view camera lenses (i.e. 100mm and above)?

I've shot with both Schneider Apo-Digitars and Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digitals but have not had a chance to systematically test equivalent lenses side by side.

The specifications suggest bigger image circles and wider maximum apertures for the Rodenstocks. Is this real or just Schneider being more conservative?

What about sharpness, distortion and chroma?

Cheers,

Jonathan

E_Edwards

Re: Long lenses: Rodenstock/Schneider
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:55:19 pm »

I can only refer to the 120 digitar macros, as I have both the Schneider and the Rodenstock.  I was so curious myself that I bought both. I find them identical (and excellent) in terms of colour and sharpness. I didn't try coverage, because I don't see any issues with image circle with either lens using generous movements. Sharpness is really visually identical as far as I and my assistant could see. Which was annoying because I wanted one to be better than the other!

The only small visual difference I noticed is that the depth of field shift differs a little between the two lenses. Both have pretty similar depth of field distance coverage at a given aperture, but the Schneider starts to be sharp earlier than the Rodenstock.
However the Rodenstock continues to be sharp a little further.

So the Schneider favours the foreground a little, the Rodenstock favours the background a little.

For my type of work, I don't care so much about the foreground coverage, so I find myself using the Rodenstock more, and will probably sell the Schneider at some stage.

I think the Rodenstocks are generally a touch cheaper.

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
Re: Long lenses: Rodenstock/Schneider
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:48 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the 120mm comments.

Just shot an ad. with the iQ180 and the 180mm Rodenstock. Subject was a very large group shot in a studio.

Sharpness even over a shifted and stitched 6x9 area showed no appreciable deterioration at the edges.

I am still wondering whether there would be much difference with the Schneider (which I understand is quite a different lens design).

Cheers,

Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up