Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition canvas  (Read 1171 times)

KenBabcock

Epson Exhibition canvas
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:15 pm »

Hey guys, I'm wondering what the satin or gloss Exhibition canvas is like to work with if not coating.

I know iCanvas had some problems coating until Randy explained the new line is not water resistant.  For that reason alone I will never use the Exhibition line for my clients because I coat with Eco Print Shield using a roller so I'm now aware of the potential disaster.

However, my wife keeps bugging me for some new prints for our home and she'd like a new 40x60 family shot on canvas.  I can get all of Epson's products just 3 blocks from my house and I was wanting to try the satin or gloss Exhibition for my own personal use.  What I want to know is how tough is this canvas without coating?  We have kids and dogs etc... so accidents may happen and if they do I'll just print another. 

About 18 months ago I tried Black Diamond Satin from Inkjet Technologies and that canvas was very durable and scratch resistant without coating.  If the Exhibition is something like this I'll buy it for my own personal use. 

Does anyone have a closeup photo or a scan of the texture of the Exhibition?

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Epson Exhibition canvas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »

Hi Ken,

I'm guessing that if you want to assess the texture of the canvas, your best bet would be to see it in person, if your local retailer has any of it (it doesn't seem to be in the current Epson sample books). To my eye it's got a bit more texture than the former Epson canas.

For personal work, I've been using Epson Exhibition Canvas without coating, with good results - the only thing I've experienced is that solid matte black ink areas (Epson's profiles are for MK) are vulnerable to handling damage.

I'd initially ordered the satin, but when my supplier accidentally brought in the gloss instead, I decided to try it, and found that I liked it enough to bring in several rolls of the gloss, which is not nearly so glossy as a glossy paper would be.

KenBabcock

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks kindly for taking the time to reply.

I'd love to see the Exhibition line in person, but unfortunately I can't without committing to buy first.  See, the distribution warehouse is 3 blocks from my house, but they won't allow anyone in without first purchasing online.  Normally they ship from the warehouse, but because I live so close they allow me to pick it up and save the silly $15 shipping fee to take the item 3 blocks.  But without previously ordering and paying online they won't allow you in the building without your order number ready.  At that point it's too late to say I don't like the look of it.

The texture you describe sounds as though I would like it for my own personal use.  Too bad I can't coat it, but I think I'll try a roll and keep it for myself.

Thanks.

jinket

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:10 pm »

I know HP will send out "HP Large-Format Printing Material Swatchbooks" upon request, with just about every media type they sell. I'd be surprised if Epson (or your paper vendor down the street) didn't do something similar.

KenBabcock

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »

The place a few blocks away is just a distribution center, that's why they won't open a box to have a peek.  I'm just gonna buy a small roll (24") and see.  I'm sure I'll use it in time.  I'm always being harassed by family and friends to print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up