Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR is better than C1  (Read 3151 times)

stewarthemley

LR is better than C1
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:55 am »

I have to add a couple of cents worth here re the abilities of LR vs C1. The consensus on this forum seems to be that C1 JUST has the edge in terms of overall quality of image. Well, I downloaded the latest C1 and did some pretty careful comparisons of the two using a wide range of images and in my view LR is the equal of C1 in terms of overall image quality and better in terms of speed and ease of use (such aspects as layout, features, how easy they are to manipulate, etc).

I'm not trying to start a turf war here, just trying to correct one of those internet myths that grows without proper testing. I hope no C1 aficionados will jump in with the old favorite "If you can't see that it's better then that's fine" implying that their superior abilities allow them to see what I (and quite a few others) can't. Well, if they want to believe that, then that's equally fine. Wrong, but fine by me. I've been at it a few years now and think I know what to look for and how to get it.

If you don't agree, try them both (both have free trials) and see what YOU think.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Re: LR is better than C1
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:09 am »

I go back and forth between the two...sometimes I find c1 does a better job and sometimes Lightroom.  With this said, I recently processed my Leica M9 images from the Arctic Svalbard in both applications and found that Lightroon did a better job on almost all of those images. Eleanor
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:22:02 pm by eleanorbrown »
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »

I have to add a couple of cents worth here re the abilities of LR vs C1. The consensus on this forum seems to be that C1 JUST has the edge in terms of overall quality of image. Well, I downloaded the latest C1 and did some pretty careful comparisons of the two using a wide range of images and in my view LR is the equal of C1 in terms of overall image quality and better in terms of speed and ease of use (such aspects as layout, features, how easy they are to manipulate, etc).

I'm not trying to start a turf war here, just trying to correct one of those internet myths that grows without proper testing. I hope no C1 aficionados will jump in with the old favorite "If you can't see that it's better then that's fine" implying that their superior abilities allow them to see what I (and quite a few others) can't. Well, if they want to believe that, then that's equally fine. Wrong, but fine by me. I've been at it a few years now and think I know what to look for and how to get it.

If you don't agree, try them both (both have free trials) and see what YOU think.

Frankly I prefer Lightroom altogether. But what raw file format are you processing through the two applications to make the comparison?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stewarthemley

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:42 am »

Good question, Mark. Files from Canon 1ds, 1Ds2, 1Ds3, 5D, 5D2, various Nikon (including D3x), some Olympus, DNG (not raw) from Hasselblad and Leaf backs. A mixture of current and older files as you can see from the cameras. I did not find a single file where I felt C1 gave a better image than LR - and for me that's the only criterion that counts. That LR is faster and easier to use IMHO, with good cataloging, is a bonus. The only time I found LR outperformed was by Phocus on Hasselblad raw files (not DNG), and so obviously I use Phocus for H raws.

Another bonus is LR's printing abilities which are vastly improved with each update.

I have tried all the other RC's except Aperture and found nothing as good as either LR or C1. So as soon as I have time I'll have a poke around A and see how it goes.

I have no allegiance to any company - hardware or software - and as soon as I find something better I change in a flash. These competitive days I need every bit of technical advantage I can get.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:17 am »

Thanks Stewart. I asked because I was curious to know whether you were using LR for Phase One raw files.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stewarthemley

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:11 am »

I imagine that it would be the same position as with Phocus/Hasselblad files. P really does get the most out of any Hass raw file. It's very noticeable and of course it has all the built in corrections for distortion, CA, vignetting so it's a bit of a no brainer, IMO.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

I go back and forth between the two...sometimes I find c1 does a better job and sometimes Lightroom.  With this said, I recently processed my Leica M9 images from the Arctic Svalbard in both applications and found that Lightroon did a better job on almost all of those images. Eleanor

No surprise here, C1 is simply not comfortable with DNG files, LR3 works best for the M9 and S2 native DNG files.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:19:31 pm »

Nick, any specific reason why c1 has issues with DNG?  What if i converted my P65 plus Raw tifs to dng...would i get different C1 processing in this case?  Eleanor

No surprise here, C1 is simply not comfortable with DNG files, LR3 works best for the M9 and S2 native DNG files.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »

I have, after being sold on LR, reverted to C1 for my P45+ files. LR as great as it is, and it is great, can't do what I can do in C1 with my files. Now, with C1 6.2.2 the layer capability has taken me from a heavy Photoshop adjustment advocate to a C1 advocate.
Jack Varney

mkravit

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »

I always chuckle a bit when people write that they have tested Product "A" against Product "B" and that one wins or is better than the other after testing tens of images but doesn't post how the testing was done or share the before and after test images with the forum.

Please post your rational analysis results so that we can share your conclusions.

Personally, I use both programs and have done so for quite some time. I find that the resuts of my efforts are highly dependent on a number of issues and no clear conclusion is often quantifiable.

So please, provide additional documentation as I would really like to see how you came to your conclusion.
Thanks

stewarthemley

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »

Glad to have given you a chuckle, BurningMan.

My results are based on my files processed to my requirements. I would not be arrogant enough to assume that my criteria are the best for everyone. The point I was making is that my testing of quite a few cameras (detailed above) proved to me that LR is better overall than C1. Not sure why that should cause a laugh. My final comment was "try them both for yourself and see what you think" and I think that pretty much makes it clear that I believe you have to do just that. I simply wanted to balance the view on this forum (and of course I might be wrong, just IMO people assume C1 had the edge) that LR matches C1 image quality and overall is better because of the DAM.

I'm not going to get involved in a pointless argument. Just go see what you think and then use what you're happy with. Cheers.

mkravit

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:06:49 pm »

No argument on this end my friend. Just wanted to request that you share your files and results so that we might all partake in your experience and results.

Enjoy......
BM
Pages: [1]   Go Up