Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best spray gun for canvas?  (Read 26971 times)

Landscapes

Wagnar Double Duty vs. Control Spray Max??
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 11:54:37 am »

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both to share if the double duty is sufficient.  I can see that the Control Spray Max has the air being delivered via the tube and hence the air intake can be quite far away from where you are spraying, but would there be any difference in the actual spraying?  The storage space required is quite huge between the two models, and if I could get away with not having to store all that hose and the seperate air intake, I think I would go this route.  Oh.. and its cheaper too!  So are there any other major differences or will the Double Duty model do just fine?  Thanks.

NickCroken

Re: What is the best spray gun for canvas?
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 12:43:07 pm »

I have the double duty sprayer, spraying timeless onto epson premium matte and haven't had any issues.  The biggest issue was figuring out where to have the spray dial set to for the optimum amount of coverage.  Too much and your varnish runs, too little and your print isn't protected.  I also filter my varnish before putting it through the spray gun.

How much spraying do you anticipate doing? How consistent do you think you can be with moving the sprayer across the canvas?

I am thinking of trying the bigger version mentioned in here and potentially the fuji system if it has a larger spray area.  That could save me a ton of time and require fewer passes (reducing room for error in overlapping).

Landscapes

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:48 pm »

I have the double duty sprayer, spraying timeless onto epson premium matte and haven't had any issues.  The biggest issue was figuring out where to have the spray dial set to for the optimum amount of coverage.  Too much and your varnish runs, too little and your print isn't protected.  I also filter my varnish before putting it through the spray gun.

How much spraying do you anticipate doing? How consistent do you think you can be with moving the sprayer across the canvas?

I am thinking of trying the bigger version mentioned in here and potentially the fuji system if it has a larger spray area.  That could save me a ton of time and require fewer passes (reducing room for error in overlapping).

I don't see myself doing more than 1 or 2 a week, so I certainly don't need the bigger unit I don't think.  But are you saying that you are thinking of trying the Wagnar Control Max?  Why do you want to upgrade to this unit when it seems like the actual spraying part should be the same as with the Double Duty.

I think I can be quite consistent with the spraying, but if there is an advantage between the double duty and the control max other than the fact that its probably lighter since the air intake is seperate, then I'd love to know.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »

The main reason imo for a bigger/better hvlp spray unit is consistency.  If you're only spraying canvas occasionally, the Wagner is fine.  The reason to get a hvlp unit with the air intake further away is clogging.  The sealant is basically clear and difficult to see when the overspray clogs the filters on the Wagner (with the filter on the sprayer itself).  You will need to replace these filters regularly---they are inexpensive.  Try, http://www.gleempaint.com/control-spray-parts.html   I hate to say it, but the Wagner units are so inexpensive, that they are like "disposable" items.   Other than replacing the filters (you'll pay more in shipping to get the filter than the filter itself), if you have problems, simply buy another...

Landscapes

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »

I hate to say it, but the Wagner units are so inexpensive, that they are like "disposable" items.   Other than replacing the filters (you'll pay more in shipping to get the filter than the filter itself), if you have problems, simply buy another...

I completely agree!  Printers are like that too now.  If you need a new printhead for Canon, you should almost consider a new printer as two printheads and a full set of inks will probably cost the same price!

I for sure don't need the the super expensive system, and since I won't be spraying much, I don't mind the air intake being being right on the unit versus several feet away.  So it looks like the Double Duty model might be just fine for me!

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »

I bought one of these - http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/air/air-tools/paint-guns/8160657-hvlp-paint-gun

I have a Dewalt air compressor and the combo works great. IMO, a decent compressor with just about any HVLP gun can do a fantastic job with very little overspray if set up properly.

davidh202

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

I have been looking into spray guns myself and that type is actually ideal if you already have a compressor.
Lowe's and Home Depot have a few different styles which are essentially large Air Brushes. they gravity feed which is very nice ,and are all relatively inexpensive.
On thing I noted when looking at them in the store is they say they are mostly suited for Lacquers and thinned paints,so depending on which protective product you will be using they may require different dilutions with distilled water to get a good spray pattern.
You will definately need to do a bleed test on any non water resistant canvas even if spraying and laying the canvas  down.
Premier Eco Print Shield says no more than 20% dilution and they still say that it is only for water resistant canvas unless you spray the canned Lacquer Print Shield first to seal the ink.

These guns are sold and listed in the air tools sections of the stores and sites.
 http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=301337-47120-SGY-AIR86&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3360950&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:08:51 pm by davidh202 »

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 01:47:23 pm »

True, but I was looking the Fuji sprayer and decided that I could buy a gun and (good) compressor for that money and then I'd be able to use the compressor to drive a staple gun and canvas stretching machine (my next purchase).  :)

I've sprayed undiluted Eco Print Shield and Timeless without issue. I think the specs on the packaging are quite conservative including the CFM requirements.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up