Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best spray gun for canvas?  (Read 26970 times)

iCanvas

What is the best spray gun for canvas?
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:37:54 am »

After learning that Epson Exhibition canvas is not water resistant, I may have to surrender to spraying. What is the best spray gun for canvas? I have searched through the discussions and many seem to use the Wagner spray gun. There are different models and what would be the best model?

Gar

fetish

Re: What is the best spray gun for canvas?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:25 am »

I use the wagner control max. It has a long hose so your air intake can be situated away from your spraying area. The air pressure is also adjustable. Best of all it's dirt cheap.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:20 am »

Wagner is on the cheap-end---and it works. (Buy several for the cost of a better unit).  Better choice is the Fuji hvlp systems.  Many others out there...

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:38 am »

For the Wagners you want a Wagner Control Spray Max. For the high-end, the Fuji HVLP system is what most folks here are using.

If you're just doing a few canvases here and there the Wagner is just fine.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 10:53:02 am »

Be careful on that Epson Canvas! If it's not waterproof, you may not be able to use the aqueous vinyl acrylic products. Test first before you commit to a spray gun or buying larger quantities of product.

iCanvas

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:24 am »

Is the Fuji system a bleeder or a non bleeder? Or does that matter when spraying a coating on canvas. Will the Wagner overspray? I understand that the Wagner is a bleeder, meaning that air comes out of the nozzle whether the trigger is pulled or not. Is the Fuji that way?

Another question is can you you spray without diluting the coating, or does it have to be diluted for it to come out of the nozzle?

Thanks,

Gar

Ken Doo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:03:52 pm »

The Fuji hvlp is a "non-bleeder" gun. 

You may need to dilute the solution slightly (BC Timeless).  You definitely need to dilute the solution for BC Glamour II.  Once you have your mix/ratio formula down, it's rather easy.

ken

neile

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:50:12 pm »

The wagner does continue to push air out when you aren't pulling the trigger but that's never bothered me. Any spraygun will have overspray, but again, I've never had much of an issue with mine.

I don't bother diluting my Timeless before spraying with the Wagner. I did dilute my Glamour II when I used it, per the instructions from BC.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

iCanvas

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:42:01 pm »

With the Wagner did you ever have any issues with it dripping out the nozzle or the trigger? I have seen some negative reviews online about the Wagner, but you never know who is writing the reviews. The Fuji may be an over kill for what I do. They are around $569.00 online.

Is the Wagner easy to clean?

Gar

fetish

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:25 pm »

no dripping issues, just that you might wanna dig out the dried laminate from the nozzle area with a toothpick between coats if you stop using it for more than 5mins to prevent half dried gunk from flying towards your canvas.
cleaning it is a joy. remove the container, remove the nozzle and remove the hose, 5 mins wash and it's done.

Roscolo

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »

What is the best spray gun for canvas? I have searched through the discussions and many seem to use the Wagner spray gun. There are different models and what would be the best model?

Gar

Wagner HVLP Control Spray Double Duty Model# 0417274

Think I paid $65 for mine. And I have sprayed tons of canvas, just putting it flat on the floor and taping the corners down, maybe a piece of tape in the middle of the edge. Adjust your spray and flow so it's not too much product coming out at once. I've had no problems. In fact, you've got to work pretty hard to screw it up.

ftbt

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:13 pm »

Another vote for the Wagner Control Spray Max. I do one or two canvases a week with it using Glamour II diluted with distilled water. Nice even spray, no clogs, easy clean-up. (Good value ... paid for itself the first time I used it.)

stefano

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

Yet another positive comment for the wagner. I was successful with it the first time I used it, after reading various posts on this forum. I have sprayed more than 400 ft of BC Lyve with Timeless varnish using the wagner, and it never gave me any issues. Easy to use, easy to clean and inexpensive... that does it for me!

Stefano

Simpleshooter

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

I have tried just about every gun around and ended up with the Fuji Q4 and and I love it!  The Wagner does the job but the over-spray is a little too much for me.  If you are doing 1-2 prints at a time it will do fine (the over-spray does not have time to build up), if you are running 20-30 at a time, you will be in a cloud and everything will be covered in a fine mist. (which is why I changed to the Q4)
As for dilution, I tried the timeless and did not like it, I cut the GlamorII with 50% water and it is perfect...the finish that I get on the prints is perfect every time and it is not that heavy coat that you see a lot of prints have.

davidby

• Shared Vision Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:18:26 am »

Just wondering which of the Fuji HVLP models people have been using? There's quite a price difference between the Q4 ($919) and the Mimi Mite 3 ($549), with a number of models in between....

Ken Doo

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:17:27 am »

In a nutshell:  the Fuji minimite 3 is fine; the 4 simply adds a bit more power (not really needed here).  The lower models are as loud as typical hvlp systems; the Super and Pro have noise reduction built in.

Simpleshooter

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:21 am »

The reason that I went with the Q4 is the off chance that it could spray without diluting...it can not but it comes close.   Spray quality wise I believe that they are all the same, especially if you are cutting the Glamour with water.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:16:45 pm »

Is this the gun?  Would this one be ok for coating Timeless on Lyve Canvas? 

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/paint-sprayers/wagner/control-spray-double-duty-93373.html

neile

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:14 am »

No, that's not the one. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-518080-Control-Spray-Sprayer/dp/B003PGQI48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316098137&sr=8-1.

It works fine spraying timeless, that's what I use it for.

Neil
Neil Enns

felix5616

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

FUJI HVLP. very little overspray, extremely good control of the spray pattern and well built. Will last a lifetime. Produces the highest quality spray.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up