Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta Media Settings/ Epson 3880  (Read 16897 times)

rmyers

Re: Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta Media Settings/ Epson 3880
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »

You may be getting head strikes.  Without seeing it I couldn't be certain.  I think the below settings are correct for platen gap.

Standard = 190gsm
Wide = 260 gsm
Wider = 320 gsm
Widest = 500 gsm

That paper is 320gsm, so I would certainly start with wider and try widest if I still got head strikes.  Is the paper flat?  If its bowed, it could cause problems.  Also, do you have your output tray all the way up to support it coming out?  I have never adjusted drying time or the other settings you mentioned.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:22:58 pm by rmyers »

Diamond Star Halo

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:31 pm »

I appreciate the detailed settings -- the wider platen (and increased thickness setting) has produced the best print so far! 

I have to check more carefully, but they do appear to be more like strikes than "banding" -- when I pass my finger over the marks, I can feel that there are indentations into the paper.  I was trying to explain that to Epson Tech Support, but the fellow kept cutting me off and insisting it was banding.  Can you tell me a little more about what head strikes are.  I was under the impression that the pigment was sprayed on by the nozzles.  I guess there is more to it than that?

I also rolled the paper ends with a long shipping tube.  And that also seems to help as you suggested.  I use the rear feeder but I have the printer by a wall, which give a little extra support for that part of the paper extending beyond the feeder.

The only remaining issue is that the narrow unprinted borders around the image are not proportional.  The left side is about a 1/16 or 1/8 wider than the right side.  So the image is slightly off-center.  This has been happening consistently and is not the result of anything you suggested.

I've checked "Center Image" box, the "Scale to Fit Media" box and various combinations of checking and unchecking either or both.  I've even manually entered numbers in the "Left" box so that the image appears centered in the preview.  No matter what, the image is always off center.  The image was not cropped, so it's not like the aspect ratio changed (though I'm not sure that would make a difference).

I agree that it's a really fine paper.  It feels substantial and the images look great.  It even smells good.  :-)

If I can just get this centering issue resolved...  :-)  Thanks in advance for any suggestions on that.

rmyers

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:59 pm »

If your platen setting is too small, the print head will strike the paper.  Scroll down to number 4 on this link.  Is that what it looks like?  Is it smudged like that?

http://kb.mcad.edu/index.php?action=article&id=519&relid=40

If your paper is not flat, press it between a table top and something heavy to flatten it. This is usually a problem with paper from a roll more so than with sheet paper.  If the paper is bent you can certainly have problems.  I have had problems with the corners being bent on this paper during shipping because it wasn't packaged very well.

Also, I was talking about your outfeed tray.  If the paper isn't supported when it is coming out, the back of the paper can lift.  If the strike is on the rear of the print, you might try putting something under the paper as it is coming out to lift it a little more helping to keep the rear of the print down as it clears the printer.

No help on the uneven margin problem.  Sorry.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:19:01 pm by rmyers »

Diamond Star Halo

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »

Yes!  Number 4 is exactly it.  I'm going to read that section carefully.

Interesting observation about how poor packaging can contribute to the curling on sheet paper.  I ordered it from B&H and the paper was slightly curved on each side upon arrival.  I may just go to their store next time and see if I can inspect the paper right then and there before buying.

Sorry.  There was some distraction and I did not read carefully to see that you were referring to the outfeed tray.  Very good point.  I did have it fully extended each time.  But I will check for rear strikes and have made a note about providing some extra support when that happens.

Your suggestions are really informative and I am very grateful. 

Perhaps someone else may have some thoughts on the uneven margins.

Again, my sincere thanks to you and to Luminous Landscape for having this forum.

rmyers

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 10:46:37 pm »

My damaged paper actually had bent corners like it had been dropped on one of the corners.  If the paper is curled, I would flatten with weight overnight and try it.  

I actually store this paper upside down so the weight of the paper can help flatten it.  I also store it on the bottom of the stack, but that is because it is the largest box, so I'm not sure it actually does anything as the box may keep the weight of the rest of the stack off the paper.

What program are you printing from?  You might post your problem in the appropriate sub forum for the program you are using. You might get some good hints there.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:50:50 pm by rmyers »

Diamond Star Halo

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 10:53:12 pm »

Yikes, actual bent corners!  I had that happen with a box of Epson papers.  Except I didn't notice until a couple of months later when I opened it.  I learned my lesson and I immediately open and inspect every sheet upon delivery even if I'm not using the paper right away -- so that I can at least exchange it before too much time passes.

Great idea about storing the paper upside down.  I'm definitely trying that.  Cheers!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up