Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: On Safari  (Read 5020 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: On Safari
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »

If you actually shot with a GH2, you might be more than a little impressed with it's "technical quality."  Seriously, not much (but yes, some) left on the table IQ-wise between it and the top end Nikon or Canons with big glass. Keep in mind, many of the little Panny G lenses are Image Stabilized and quite excellent optically...

Jack, I am aware of the qualities of the 4/3 cameras.

But my view is that there is a larger image quality gap between a D3x and a GH2 than there is between a IQ140 and a D3x for example.

Whether that is relevant depends entirely on the application.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:44:19 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Pete Ferling

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 12:03:58 am »

Rather than argue the difference of an S2 vs. a 1Ds, it's an exercise in bringing gear not intended for the scene, and dealing with limitations over expectations.  Certainly if I was afforded multiple trips to far off and exotic locals, I would take such risks for the sake of re-energizing what was becoming and all too familiar experience.  It's nothing more than that.  As for my first trip I would certainly invest in the heavy glass, and would gladly accept the inconvenience of weight and sore shoulders in exchange for something that my portfolio lacks.  It's all part of the experience.  My experience, not yours or someone elses.   Likewise, if your folio is already full of shots at 400mm, then by all means, try something different.  But you don't have to afford an S2 to do it.  Just use a shorter lens, or even a vintage lens, and take a different approach.

Lastly, I agree with the last statement.  Try to enjoy the visit.  The real camera is the one between the ears.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 02:24:46 am »

If I would go again (which I hope and assume)... I know what gear I will bring!  ;)

First time was in 2000 with a Canon AV-1 with 35-70 f/4 on a failing lens mount and Kodak negative film. I got some good and memorable shots. Kenya.

Second time was in 2003 with Nikon F100, 28-70 AF-S, 80-400 VR and Fuji Velvia 50. I got some good and memoarable shots. Zimbawe, Botswana.

Next time I would bring what gear I have and am familiar with!!!

Just upgraded to Hy6 with one lens; 80mm f/2.8 AFD PQ, Afi-II 12. I would bring just that. Perhaps add just one lens @ 150 or 180mm, and/or simply crop. The best equipment to use is the one we already command. New gear will not necessarily bring better images. Too much we else think in terms of gear and are being sold GEAR.

Albeit... looking back, I wish on my first trip I would have shot at least slides... albeit that trip was my wake up to photography. Kenya ;D

Regards
Anders

tonywong

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »

I came back from an 11 day camping safari in Botswana last month and I brought a 7D, 5D2 and 1DIV, as well as a GH-2.

For the long lens work I used a Sigma 50-500 OS EF mount and Canon 70-200 IS II. The GH-2 had the 14-140 and 100-300.

I barely used the the GH-2 because it tended to be infuriating how the operating system and menus would 'lock' you out of modes that it didn't think you could or should be on. This annoying tendency made it really hard to like the camera since I'd wind up shooting jpeg when I wanted RAW, or be in crop mode (teleconvertor mode) when I wanted 'full frame'.

Also, while the AF was quick, the blackout period during fast shooting meant that I'd rarely be able to get the shot like I could on the 7D or 1DIV. Then again, the Panasonic was 1/3 to 1/5 the the price of the systems it was up against. Also the single mode rolly wheel wasn't very convenient when you have 3 wheels and a joystick on the Canons.

I'd also say the GH-2's construction felt flimsy, plastic and downright cheap, compared to my dad's GH-1.

I wound up using the GH-2 much less than I thought I would (probably 1% of my shooting), but I've been trying to give it more opportunities, since I hope that I will 'grok' the way it works once I have enough shots under my belt. Whoever wrote the manual should be shot and hung, then revived so they could be drawn and quartered. I've only seen worse manuals from industrial equipment manuals from low quantity production specialized foreign machine shops.

Optically, the 100-300 lens isn't bad...as a lightweight combo it was a no brainer for me to carry a full GH-2 setup along since the whole combination weighed less than one of the heavy lenses.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:38 am »

TEB
Sounds like you did what I suggested. Figure out what photos you want, make sure you have the gear you need to take them, if not purchase gear necessary. As I read Mark's article,  that's pretty much what he did.
Hope you have a great time.
Les

TEBnewyork

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:57 am »

TEB
Sounds like you did what I suggested. Figure out what photos you want, make sure you have the gear you need to take them, if not purchase gear necessary. As I read Mark's article,  that's pretty much what he did.
Hope you have a great time.
Les

I just got back and was happy with my choice of using m4/3. Will I have the same results with the birds that my friend will have with a 1DIV, 800mm plus tele converter. No way but that wasn't my primary concern. Shooting at long focal lengths not always in great light had me taking way more shots than normal (to make sure I got a sharp good shot). I used the 100-300 on 90% my shots.

I've started posting the results here:

http://www.terrybanet.com/?page_id=12
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up