Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel to the White Mountains and Grove of the Patriarchs this Weekend....  (Read 2666 times)

Mjollnir

Been practically everywhere in the Eastern Sierra/Owens Valley/Mono-Bridgeport areas, but have never been to the grove before (never had a Jeep until now), so if anyone who's been there before might suggest certain locations in it, angles, specific trees, I'd appreciate it.

Or is it more of one of those places where it just becomes obvious once on is there?

We'll be camping overnight there for some new moon astro-photography, so we'll have dusk, the night and dawn.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:31:47 pm by Mjollnir »

Paul Sumi

FYI, campfires and overnight camping are not allowed in the Bristlecone Pine Forest.

There are 2 main Bristlecone groves.  The lower, Schulman, grove has a temporary visitors center.  There is a fairly easy loop trail at the lower grove.

The upper grove, the Patriarch, is at the tree line and can be challenging if you are not acclimated to the altitude.

The times I have been there have been in the afternoon and evening for moonrise and sunset.  I don't have any specific locations to give you, but in addition to the Bristlecones, there are some spectacular views west towards the Sierra Nevada crest and also to the east for moonrise.

As you probably know, the Sierra had a record snowpack and there are flood warnings for the creeks, etc.    You may want to contact Inyo national forest to check on road conditions up to the White Mountains and any other areas.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:36:07 pm by Paul Sumi »

Greg Campbell

The trees are spread out across a huge area.  I've been a few times, but couldn't begin to suggest a specific tree or spot to shoot. 

I suggest you arrive early.  Set up your camp at Grandview, then head out to scout possible sunset / sunrise sites.  Bring a compass so you can set up a given shot knowing where the sun will be. (See http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=390&month=7&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-12&day=1 )   By the time you work your way to the end of the road, it will be getting somewhat late and you'll have to  decide where to go. 

Next morning, up before dawn (You're a photographer, right?  ;D ) for the good light.

Afterward, you might try descending to Bishop via Silver Canyon.  It's a pretty drive, if somewhat rough.  You won't need 4WD, just high clearance. 

Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up