Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod: quick Flip-lock or quick twist-lock?  (Read 12049 times)

EinstStein

tripod: quick Flip-lock or quick twist-lock?
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:05:38 am »

I have a Monfrotto 3001, which is using the old style screw knobs. It's very unreliable. I have to constantly tighten the screws with a screw driver. I once or twice even lost the screwswhen it was loose without noticed. even now,someof the screws are not tight enough.The leg would slip no matter how I tighten the screws.

Now I'm in search of a new tripod. I like the quick twist locks. I can handle all sections of a leg in one half-turn. Unfortunately, not all tripods in my target range (weight and price) are using quick twist lock. Instead,some are using the quick flip-lock.

Any comments on the two? I'm particularly worries that the quick flip lock may get loose and hence can't be tightened up. The quick twist lock, however, only needs a little more turn should it get loose.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: tripod: quick Flip-lock or quick twist-lock?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:14 am »

I was using a Manfrotto tripod at work and you can tighten the flip-locks with a supplied Allen key. If you look at the second image on this page you will see the where the hex head goes. Mainly used indoors, easy to use and rarely needed to be tightened.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:15:24 am »

Hi,

Both flip locks and twist locks can work fine. I'd say the flip locks on my Velbon Sherpa Pro 630 work fine. I have also a Gitzo GT3541LS which I use as man tripod. I see the twist-locks more like a negative feature on the Gitzo, in my view not very well made.

Locking action is not smooth on the Gitzo and not ver affirmative. On the plus side they don't seize and the legs don't rotate.

Best regards
Erik

I have a Monfrotto 3001, which is using the old style screw knobs. It's very unreliable. I have to constantly tighten the screws with a screw driver. I once or twice even lost the screwswhen it was loose without noticed. even now,someof the screws are not tight enough.The leg would slip no matter how I tighten the screws.

Now I'm in search of a new tripod. I like the quick twist locks. I can handle all sections of a leg in one half-turn. Unfortunately, not all tripods in my target range (weight and price) are using quick twist lock. Instead,some are using the quick flip-lock.

Any comments on the two? I'm particularly worries that the quick flip lock may get loose and hence can't be tightened up. The quick twist lock, however, only needs a little more turn should it get loose.

Erik Kaffehr

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »

I have a velbon carbon fiber tripod with the flip locks and a gitzo with the twist locks. In contrast to Erik, I strongly prefer the twist lock mechanism on the gitzos. My flip locks eventually loosened and needed to be tightened in the field -- if you don't have the allen key with you then you are out of luck.

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

My experience with Manfrotto is, yes you can tighten up with the alien key, but it only works to some extent. Not sure about other brands.
So far I only trust Gitzo and Induro/Benro (Induro is Benro), but I don't trust Benro's flip-lock yet.

SBP

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:02:29 pm »

Twist lock Carbon Fiber Hakuba for me

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »

Context, folks, context. The OP wasn't asking about Gitzo-style knob locks, but rather about twist locks (think bathroom faucet).

FWIW, I much prefer the twist locks as they give me more confidence in their ability to secure the legs than flip locks. That said, both styles need occasional adjustments, as someone indicated earlier, with an Allen wrench.

As for Eric's negative experience with the Gitzo 3541 knob locks, I have never had a problem. Always safe and secure on this end.
"The real voyage of discove

250swb

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:29:25 am »

I like the Manfrotto flip locks for functionality, they are quicker, and they are better in cold weather wearing gloves, or in hot weather with sweaty hands. But they do need tightening every now and again. And they add to the bulk of a tripod, the joints are bigger and heavier. I do have a tripod with twist locks but whatever the weather I come back after a day in the field with raw hands caused by adjusting the legs, and I've worn through a pair of winter gloves in a single winter season. I know Gitzo's are beautifully made tripods, but I prefer the robust caveman ethos that Manfrotto offers.

Steve

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:54 am »

I have owned a Manfrotto with flip locks, a Gitzo with twist locks, and now a RRS with twist locks.  While I was very skeptical at first with the twist lock, I have grown to much prefer them.  For me, they just seem easier to use.  On any of them, be sure to extend and retract the legs rather gently.  I broke a small plastic internal stop on the Manfrotto and it cost $100+ to fix.  Did the same thing on the RRS and they sent me replacement parts (which I could easily fix) for free.  The Gitzo and RRS are also very easy to disassemble for cleaning and lubrication of the threads.  But then I don't think the Manfrotto ever needs to be disassembled.  Like most things in photography, there is no clear-cut winner...  My suggestion would be to rent/borrow each and do a shoot to see which you prefer.  Also, buy the absolutely best you can possibly afford so can make this your last tripod purchase.  See my first sentence!

Tinstafl

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 05:59:26 am »

I have both types, one a Manfrotto the other a Gitzo.  It is easier in the summer to use the Manfrotto with the flip locks and the Gitzo worked easier with gloves in the winter. I usually use the Gitzo with my 500 or 600 mm but either will work but I like the Gitzo with the Wimbley better than the Manfrotto with the center adjustable section.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »

Context, folks, context. The OP wasn't asking about Gitzo-style knob locks, but rather about twist locks (think bathroom faucet).

I think he mentioned his current tripod had the screw knob type locks, and he was asking about the other two alternatives.

The new quick twist type with the non rotating legs, as used in the new Gitzo CFs, work very well and mine has been problem free. Has been on several back packing trips. While I haven't owned the flip lock type, I see enough come in with broken lock mechanisms that they would not be a consideration. Having fooled a bit with both, I see no benefit of the flip over the twist, use wise. They do seem to allow lower construction costs, and may need periodic adjustment.

As with many things, the manufacturing has as much do do with ease of use and reliability as the engineering design.

EinstStein

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:40 pm »

Thanks for so many helps. You all confirmed my concerns on the flip-lock.
I decided to stick with twist-lock and 4 sections. Using Gitzo 2341L as my reference model, I compared Induro AT214 and Benro A2190.
In the end I settled with Benro A2190. Induro AT214 looks good, but it's a little heavier.
Gitzo 2341L is a discontinued model, but I managed to find the supplies, to my surprise, somehow the twist lock feels not as smooth as Benro A2190.
The biggest concerns is Benro's reliablity. The seller and another customer I met in the store gave me very encouraging comments. It does seem true over the field feedback, but I guess this brand needs to be in the field for a little longer. For now, I'll just trust my feeling when I handle the Gitzo and Benro. After all, Benro is also much cheaper than Gitzo 2341L. I can afford that loose.

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:33 am »

One place I love flip-locks is on my Manfrotto mono-pod.    I agree that for a tripod twist locks are best.  I have had issues with both, but flip locks do seem to wear out faster than twist locks over the years.  But on my mono-pod, the speed and ease of a flip lock is great.  I have three mono-pods altogether, one is a Gitzo and one some no-name mon-od I bought 20 years ago (but works great), however I find the twist locks a bit of pain.

So just keep that in mind, if you ever get a mono-pod, look at a flip lock

joe

EinstStein

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 12:33:14 am »

Thanks for the advice on monopod. I can image what you mean.
I have a very old Germany made  "shake to extend, shake to collapes" monopod. It's kind of cool.
You shake it with the tip down, it will extend and stay locked when it hits the ground.
You then lift it and shake again, it will get loose, and you turn it upside down, it will then collapes.
One hand operation., Very handy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up