Poll

milky appearance

canvas
- 1 (100%)
Timeless
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coating Lyve with Timeless Satin  (Read 2468 times)

jimnilsen

Coating Lyve with Timeless Satin
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »

I have been hand rolling Timeless Satin onto Lyve Canvas and have been getting a milky look especially in the dark areas. I did not  have this problem with Glamour 2. I have altered the amount that I put on, the pressure, etc. I am wondering if I am rolling for too long?

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Coating Lyve with Timeless Satin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:14 am »

Jim,

I suggest asking this question over in the Printers, Papers, and Inks forum instead. There are many canvas folks hanging out there. Also, try searching first: there have been several threads in the past regarding Timeless that you may find useful.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re: Coating Lyve with Timeless Satin
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:40 am »

Glamour doesn't have a satin finish.  The matte Glamour, and all matte finishes, achieve a less shiny surface by means of a flattening agent, usually talc, that imparts a slightly white layer when there is enough of it.  Satin finishes just have a little less flattening agent than matte.  I found the milky quality of Glamour too strong for my work, and got by with the gloss, which is slightly less glossy than Timeless.  If you use more than one coat of Timeless, you might try using gloss for the first coat, followed by a light coat of satin, because the less flattening agent, the better.  The darker the background, the more you will notice the ugliness.  I don't have experience with rolling Timeless because I spray it, but know the properties of clear finishes, which are unavoidable.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up