Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to get to grips with Lightroom some basic questions please.  (Read 4609 times)

sanfairyanne

I'm just beginning to use Lightroom version 3 and as many of my images are HDR's I haven't really used Lightroom for any editing work. I simply export the Lightroom thumbnails into a folder on the desktop then open and process them in my HDR software and do final edits in CS5.

My question is, where should I store the final processed images. Currently I have them in a new folder in the Lightoom folder within my Pictures folder on the desktop.

I just wondered if I'm making a big mistake. I have Scott Kelby's book Lightroom 3 but although he talks about HDR he explains its use from Lightroom directly to Photoshop whereas I'm working within Photomatrix.

Essentially I'm just wondering if by saving them in PICTURES I'm doing the right thing.

Many thanks

eliedinur

Re: Trying to get to grips with Lightroom some basic questions please.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:35:11 pm »

You can store them anywhere you want; in the LR folder or in any other folder. On the internal drive or on an external. If your internal is partitioned they can be on either side. My photo files for the current year (and the LR catalog and previews) are on the D partition because I reserve the C partition for system functions. Photos and the catalog are also backed up to two identical externals. Photo files from previous years are on the externals. As long as they have been imported into the catalog (using the "Add" function) LR will find them when they are needed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:37:05 pm by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:24:03 pm »

My question is, where should I store the final processed images. Currently I have them in a new folder in the Lightoom folder within my Pictures folder on the desktop.

I think that's a deeper question than you might think. How are your raw images organized? By folder? By date? By subject? Are you only worried about your HDR images or do you have other images as well?

While your raw images and 16 bit TIFF/PSD file can be imported into Lightroom, I'm pretty sure the 32-bit HDR images won't. Are you saving them or just converting the 32-bit HDR images down to TIFF or PSD files?

Before you really start diving into Lightroom, you should start with a well though out and organized folder/file structure because it won't be as easy to reorg after you've starting adding a ton of images.

There's nothing technically wrong by using the "Pictures" folder, but there are better ways. Also it's useful to staor all your images that end up in Lightroom in one master folder–I call it "Digital_Captures" and make sure the upper level parent folder is in the top of the Lightroom folder hierarchy. From there, I tend to use broad based subjects such as Travel, Studio, Events, People etc. Basically a who what where when sort of subject matter. From there, subfolders include descriptive description with a year date. The other imports I tend to import using a year/month/day folder organization for project that occur over a period of days of just single folders when it's a simple project. Where you want to store your processed images in the same folder as your originals, I can't tell you. I do it both ways for various reasons.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:58 am »

Agree with Jeff about thinking out your folder system but I wouldn't put any time into breaking up by broad subjects. Just use simple date-based folders - that way you'll never spend time puzzling over whether files go into Travel or People when they could easily go into either. Just use keywords to categorise them.

sanfairyanne

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:01 am »

Thanks to both of you, I'm going to look into this and give it considerable thought. I really don't want to screw up my folders.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:55 am »

Just keep it as simple as I described and put effort into adding keywords instead of getting too clever with folder systems.

John

Jon Meddings

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »

I agree with John here (although in some ways it is six of one and a half dozen of the other).  I've tried both organization systems and have fallen back to a simple >Images/Year/Month/Day system for absolutely every picture. The disadvantage is that I can't look at this (as Jeff could in his system) and figure out where my pictures from the Galapagos are. However, within Lightroom they are easily extracted with a keyword query. 

I also rename my files when I import them with lightroom into this folder structure. The rename rule is "Camera_Date_file number"  So for example it could be Canon EOS 1DS Mk III_110701_1234.cr2  .  This tells me at a glance what camera made the image (and hence its print size) and where to find the RAW file - in this case under >Images/11/07/01.... Very simple system.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »

The disadvantage is that I can't look at this (as Jeff could in his system) and figure out where my pictures from the Galapagos are.

Well, you should also know I also use Bridge and Camera Raw as well (I kinda have to since I write a book on Camera Raw). So I don't live a Lightroom only life...

Having a well thought out folder hierarchy on the drive in no way interferes with using that hierarchy as well in Lightroom. The key is to design your hierarchy BEFORE you get too far along in Lightroom and to make sure it's something you'll be willing and able to stick to. Changing it after the fact will be painful.

sanfairyanne

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:04:17 pm »

I've spent most of the day adding folders to my Lightroom Catalogue, they're coming from my external drive. I have only been adding keywords.
The downside seems to be that although I can rename the folder (right click - rename) the name is only visible by clicking on the folder. It's not openly visible, of course the keywords search is a great help.
It's all early days but of course I don't want to realise in weeks to come that I've screwed things up.

I have to say that the Lightroom book by Scott Kelby is a godsend, I've learnt so much already.

I'm going to try and find someone who uses Lightroom to look over what I'm doing to just check I'm not making any monumental errors.

Thanks again for your help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »

I don't think it's being unkind to SK to say he's not at his best when it comes to the organisational aspects of Lightroom. so be cautious before you follow what little advice he gives on these areas.

John

MartyGrivjackLRInstructor

• FL-Based Adobe Lightroom Instructor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:45 am »

Jeff is right - get your organizational scheme down now before you've got thousands or tens of thousands of 20mb images to try to make order of later. K.I.S,S.

Let LR import into year/year-month-date format (2011/2011-10-20) and then immediately make a collection on every import. Leave the folders alone, they'll fend for themselves as you import. LR will be consistent with every folder name going forward, the key to finding stuff later.

When creating PSDs or HDR images, LR automatically places them adjacent to the originating RAW files. Leave them where they are created. Since they're associated with the original files, it is smart to keep them all together.

If you want to separate out your HDR images, create a collection for them. You can always add to the collection (by dragging them from the grid or filmstrip), and sub-divide into topic areas as your collection of HDRs increase in size.

Discipline is important in using Lightroom as an organizational tool. Always keyword. Always use the same file structure scheme on import. Always make collections and try to avoid moving images around in folders or renaming folders, especially OUTSIDE of Lightroom, behind its back. You can do all of that "moving and renaming" in Collections.

Pages: [1]   Go Up