Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one questions  (Read 14307 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Re: phase one questions
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:07 am »

LoL...

To clarify... what I was talking about would be something like a CMOS IQ180.  I don't believe that the Epic will replace my still camera.  It's a totally different work flow, no tethering, no zooming into 100% to check focus and propping, you just extract stills later (until they enable stills mode via firmware).  Also, I just don't enjoy trying to compose on PC lenses (single axis) versus tech cameras (dual axis).

The IQ180 is a 10k back (meaning the width of the image is about 10,000 pixels) at Sensor Plus it's about 2.5k  I was putting that all in Cine terms, which is a little confusing.... MegaPixels vesus Image Width  So, yeah, 10k images are totally acceptable... the 5d2 is what... 5.5k?

Am I making sense?

fredjeang

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 10:59:43 am »

Yes, totally. I think that we are a lot who would like that.
But I'm wondering about the shallow D.O.F because it's gona be very critical in motion if they use MF size sensors in let's say a P65 remake.

Oh well, that's what engineers are paied for after all.

bcooter

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »

In imagery for commerce I am firmly convinced that no one knows exactly where popular media is going.

Motion that freezes, stills that move or a combination of the two.

If I had to place a bet I'd say it will be both and from my view photographers/image makers will be called on to produced multi media.

Right now everything is in flux, the western world's economy reflects that and with all the talk that goes on, the only thing that really matters is what you know and what you can do with it.

Creative, interesting and professionally produced imagery will usually gain more attention than the standard flicker or stock photo.

I'm not saying that it takes a RED or Arri or Phase or Hasselblad to produce outstanding imagery, but I do know that all camera companies have to move forward faster, because consumer electronics move at such a fast pace, if professional equipment doesn't keep up and innovate it wouldn't surprise me to see 2 lb. cameras on a set with 10,000 lbs of grip and lighting.  In fact that is happening today.

I like CB's take because he is always moving forward and will be ready when a client asks "can you shoot a __________ for ________ and for _________.

I like the fact that Fred challenges the base story line that goes on in this forum.  If some says "I understand so and so is making a new camera" Fred immediately says when, where, how much?

That's all anyone cares about when they plan to buy.

CB mentioned I'm attached to my Contax and medium format backs and though I like them and don't use them often, I keep them more as a business decision than any emotional attachment, because they're paid for, their resolution (though 3 generations old) is still greater than any of my clients are asking for and I have a feeling that sometime in the near future somebody is going to need a 7k  still file that will construct and deconstruct at the touch of an ipad screen, so I keep them.

A month ago I was at a long term client's offices and we went to one building that has what is best described as a "brand experience".     In this room were translucent stills, flashing lcd's, large printed banners, brochures, paper displays, etc.

A lot of the imagery I produced was shot with everything from my Contax to Canons to Leicas.   Some of the motion imagery was shot with 2 version old hdv cameras  and it made me think that if those large banners were lcd's the still imagery would be moving, if the motion cameras had more resolution some of the motion sessions would have been used as stills.

From a client's standpoint all they want is creative imagery that covers as much territory as possible.

They really don't care what I use to get there, if the camera shoots 10k or 2k, if the color space is rgb or cmyk.   All clients care about is can I deliver imagery that is usable in all formats and has greater return.

This forum like most, talks about what is specific to the forum section and in this case many talk about medium format like it's some kind of holy grail where a camera's sensor must be a certain size to be viable.

Other's come on to prove other smaller cameras are just as good. 

In my view neither matters.

As an artist and business person, all I care about is equipment that doesn't limit me.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »

I’m afraid that all this talk of artists, convergence and $50,000 cameras has me pining for a chunk of chalk and a cave wall.

As long as the chunk of chalk and the cave aren't made from the same colour of chalk... you thought they had it easy in the old Grotte de Lascaux maybe 35,000 years ago? I wonder what they'd have used in Cheddar - the Man in the Moon would have been able to help them.

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »

Fred

To be fair, it’s not motion that makes me want to pick up that chunk of chalk, it’s the endless discussion about process – still, motion, convergence, whatever - that at times makes me long for that cave.

I’m just a simple soul, hanging in there, hoping someone will perfect blink capture.

To be fair, this is an equipment forum, this is my problem and I’m at fault here.
I think my post was not fully appropriate so I deleted it.

Well, I don't think you are at fault here at all and I'm sorry you feel so. I've been discovered your work that I truly appreciate in both the approach and the final result, in Lu-La. I visit your site regularly to see if there is an update and your refined and beautifull images have questioned me and delighted more than once, specially the nature ones. There are among the very few nature images (because I respond to human in images) that I've been connected to. If there where just landscapes I would have died of boredom, but they are not just landscapes. I'm aware what's involved artistically behind.

But as you know keith, the less expectation we have in the creative process, the better things go right and I'm not far from thinking that it could be a life's rule.

After all, we also have the power to orientate or create contents in what we think are missing.

But in the end, gear, engineering, processes, talent, art...it's all contained in one and a same thing.

As for soul, we all are, and at the same time we all have to go to the lu and will all die. Nothing is really serious (in our image world) nor last. We are just playing with photons. I don't know if we all are simple souls but I know this: we all are the same, like water molecules in the ocean.

So my bottom line is all we can share is what we actually, as "individuals", do and experience and yours has also a lot of value, regardless of what surrownds you. Ultimately, the experience is always a matter of choice. How boring would be a world with one color, with just one palette, one musical note etc... Same here.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:10:51 pm by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 05:23:02 am »

I see that we share common lectures.

MT is a photographer I've been following for ages.

Cheers.

mediumcool

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 04:49:26 am »

During film, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Contax could care less if they got a piece of the film sales or processing action. 

Quite puzzled: what does “could care less” mean?

???
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

that should read "could not care less"  meaning they didn't care at all, so they couldn't possibly care less than they did.

ie "Did you hear J Lo and Marc Anthony were getting divorced?!!!" 
    "I couldn't care less."

mediumcool

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 12:01:15 pm »

that should read "could not care less"  meaning they didn't care at all, so they couldn't possibly care less than they did.

ie "Did you hear J Lo and Marc Anthony were getting divorced?!!!" 
    "I couldn't care less."

Well, that’s how it’s done Down Under!  ;D

But should it be id est or exemplia gratia;)
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:31 pm »

nice... "e g" would be correct... i e my clarification was sullied with it's own misusage. 

fredjeang

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 07:07:08 pm »

...it's more easy to understand the Nuke user's manual than you guys...

I need more english training. Any lonely and horny (not too tall) girlfriend to present me?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:10:33 pm by fredjeang »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »

Training englese?!

Erik

...it's more easy to understand the Nuke user's manual than you guys...

I need more english training. Any lonely and horny (not too tall) girlfriend to present me?
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »

Training englese?!

Erik

Remember that we french, have the same word for lenguage and tongue...la langue.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:42:52 pm by fredjeang »

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 08:03:43 pm »

Grammar is boring.  Here's something from a recent shoot...

carloalberto

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »

CBarrett. Bloody great picture. My compliments!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:22:50 pm by carloalberto »

fredjeang

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »

Very nice indeed.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:06 pm »

Inspired by M.C.Escher?

That is pure quality. Thanks for sharing/inspiring.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up