Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one questions  (Read 14304 times)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
phase one questions
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:43:32 pm »

hi everyone.

i learned a lot from the post i did last time.thank you all for the help.after that post i talked with several dealers around my place.and i start to wonder how many people really purchase the IQ180.the dealer told me usually it takes 2 month to deliver the order and sometimes even longer.dose phase really makes that few?is any friend here in the luminous landscape forum actually have a IQ180?

and the other question i have in mind is phase calls its camera an open system.but with phase one lens mount,phase one digital back mount,how can it be an 'open system'?open to whom?the 645df mount back can be used on other cameras?

thanks in advance for any reply~~
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

pindman

Re: phase one questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:03:51 am »

I have the IQ180 and it is wonderful.  I use it both on a Phase One (Mamiya) and Alpa TC bodies.  It can be used on a number of other bodies, which makes it an "open" system. 

The screen is fantastic, giving high resolution, and quick high magnified images to check on focus when using a technical camera.  Still waiting for the "psuedo-live" view which will hopefully be in the next firmware revision.

For me the improved useability with a technical camera made the upgrade worthwhile, although it is a high price to pay for adding something a bit more than an iPhone screen.  I'm happy I upgraded from the P65+ back because of the useability, not increased image quality.

And for what it's worth, I've found a huge difference in dealer support.  I can't recommend Capture Integration too highly. 

Paul

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:42:16 am »

thanks Paul,it is really nice to hear somebody tell the story who really owns one.

so you mean the alpa camera has the same digital back mount as the 645DF?

and please forgive to bother you another question.what firmware do you have on the 645df body,1.21 or 1.23?if it is 1.21,is there significant problems?and can we upgrade the body without the v grip?

thanks~~

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:39:47 am »

I own an IQ180 and I run it on my Phase One DF,  Horseman SW-DII, Alpa STC, and Fuji GX680 systems.

You will probably find that the delay in delivering newly ordered IQ180's is because Phase is still catching up with back-orders. If I remember correctly, the situation was pretty much the same when the P25, P45+ and P65+ were launched. This will likely improve as the rollout continues.
Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

TH_Alpa

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:50:39 am »

Phase One backs have dedicated mounts (for Mamiya, Hasselblad H, V and Contax).
Depending which mount the DB has, Alpa provides adapters for any of those mounts.

ALPA adj back adapter MA645A (Phase One)

The same can be done with other digital backs from Leaf, from Hasselblad, from Sinar.

These adapters from Alpa are adjustable with shims, allowing a perfect and precise positioning of the sensor at infinity, to get the most precise possible focusing.

Here the Alpa adapter plate for Phase One Mamiya MA645A:

so you mean the alpa camera has the same digital back mount as the 645DF?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:16 am »

hi everyone.

i learned a lot from the post i did last time.thank you all for the help.after that post i talked with several dealers around my place.and i start to wonder how many people really purchase the IQ180.the dealer told me usually it takes 2 month to deliver the order and sometimes even longer.dose phase really makes that few?is any friend here in the luminous landscape forum actually have a IQ180?

and the other question i have in mind is phase calls its camera an open system.but with phase one lens mount,phase one digital back mount,how can it be an 'open system'?open to whom?the 645df mount back can be used on other cameras?

thanks in advance for any reply~~

NOWADAYS, the Phase camera system is not in any way more "open" than the competing Hasselblad system, but the backs can be used on tech cameras and Alpa without an external power source. Hassleblad truly used to be open (you can still find a lot of guys here using H bodies with Phase backs) but they then decided to create an integrated body-back-lens system. Mamiya was also an open camera taking Leaf and Phase backs, until Phase acquired them.

Edmund

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:46:36 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Weldon Brewster

• http://www.weldonbrewster.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

NOWADAYS, the Phase camera system is not in any way more "open" than the competing Hasselblad system, but the backs can be used on tech cameras and Alpa without an external power source. Hassleblad truly used to be open (you can still find a lot of guys here using H bodies with Phase backs) but they then decided to create an integrated body-back-lens system. Mamiya was also an open camera taking Leaf and Phase backs, until Phase acquired them.

Edmund

Actually this is not true.  Phase One still has an open system. You can get a brand new Phase Back that will go on a Hasselblad H1/H2, Hasselblad V, Mamiya/Phase, Contax or a Tech Camera.  New Hasselblad backs only fit on Hasselblads and Tech Cameras.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com

eronald

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

Actually this is not true.  Phase One still has an open system. You can get a brand new Phase Back that will go on a Hasselblad H1/H2, Hasselblad V, Mamiya/Phase, Contax or a Tech Camera.  New Hasselblad backs only fit on Hasselblads and Tech Cameras.

Actually, new Phase backs only go on the OLD Hasselblad models (H1, H2, V) and the OLD Contax models and the current Mamiya and Phase and tech cameras.
This discussion has been done to death. THERE ARE NO MORE OPEN SYSTEMS. Mrs Open died and Mr. Film has been removed to an old people's home.
Many of us had hopes with the Sinar/Leaf that there would be at least one modern and open system available. It didn't happen that way.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:22:37 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

Edmund

maybe you take a look at our  hcam.de site.
If you want to see a really open system we have it - HCam-B1 taking ALL Backs, with about ANY lenses but with the heart of modern electronics shutter and comfort.

Greetings from Mr.Open ähem I mean

Stefan Steib - hcam.de
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 03:38:39 am »

Actually, new Phase backs only go on the OLD Hasselblad models (H1, H2, V)
Yes, but that's because Hasselblad closed their system, not because Phase closed theirs.

There isn't anyone else making a MFSLR body that will allow a phase back on it right now.  So it is open, Phase doesn't restrict you, but that's not much good since there's no other choices.

eronald

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 05:56:55 am »

Yes, but that's because Hasselblad closed their system, not because Phase closed theirs.

There isn't anyone else making a MFSLR body that will allow a phase back on it right now.  So it is open, Phase doesn't restrict you, but that's not much good since there's no other choices.

Phase and Hasselblad are about as open these days as Apple and Microsoft. There - I hope that analogy will be helpful to the OP and makes everyone as happy as a computer buyer :)

Edmund

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »

Actually, new Phase backs only go on the OLD Hasselblad models (H1, H2, V) and the OLD Contax models and the current Mamiya and Phase and tech cameras.
This discussion has been done to death. THERE ARE NO MORE OPEN SYSTEMS. Mrs Open died and Mr. Film has been removed to an old people's home.
Many of us had hopes with the Sinar/Leaf that there would be at least one modern and open system available. It didn't happen that way.

Edmund

I agree.

I think photographers need to get use to the fact that we're not in the old camera for a decade business cycle, we're in the electronic business cycle which usually means 18 months to 2 years and everything you own becomes obsolete.

Sometimes I don't get why camera sales became secondary to digital sales.   During film, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Contax could care less if they got a piece of the film sales or processing action.  they were content selling cameras, lenses and accessories and seemed to thrive.

Then came digital and everyone started scrambling for turf.  It's not the camera sales were a downer, it's just camera sales didn't make the money digital back's sold for so everyone moved to selling their camera backs.  If you didn't have one, you went away, like Contax and Bronica and to some extend Rollei.

Like everything it revolves around money and each companies business model.   I don't  think Phase can sell $4,000 digital backs even if they could lower the price and up the sales volume, because their business model isn't set up that way.

I firmly believe that when the day the first Canon 1ds was announced that if digital backs were interchangeable for any medium format body and sold in the $8,000 and under range, Canon wouldn't have dominated the market for still cameras.

But they didn't and here we are today, with one back per per body mount and proprietary systems on processing and workflow.  So there is no real open camera anywhere. 

Same with Nikon and Canon.  They're not open systems, but nobody complains because the costs of those are fractions of the cost of medium format, from bodies, digital film, lenses and accessories.

The only thing that throws this into disarray is the onset of video/motion imagery, which is following the same path as stills.

The last few weeks we've been working non stop, huge hours shooting on a RED One as an a camera, the Sony FS100 as a B cam and this week we have a 4 day breather before we get back into production.

During this period I was offered an Epic for $58,000.  All the kids in our studio we're wide eyed and urged me to buy it.  I got caught up in the enthusiasm also and said, uh okay, but let me do an evening of research.

We started the ordering process until I realized that the Epic isn't fully ready yet, missing batteries, EFV and Grip.  Also it only takes PL mount so grand total to shoot something is close to $100,000.

Then I looked at the Specs.   The Epic is only 3 pounds lighter and isn't really a 5k camera, because it shoots a 2 to 1 ration vs. a 16x9 native ratio which means by the time it's cropped down it's a 4 1/2 K camera.

I've been through the early years of digital stills where I was a non paid beta tester and I thought naw, this is crazy paying $100,000 for something not fully baked yet, so I made my decision to add another RED One as a backup and continue on with life.

Also,  as a business person I understand that Phase/Leaf/Mamiya and Hasselblad must do what will maximize their profits, but I believe they've worked themselves into a old style business model that is going to be difficult to change, at least on a professional level.

Even Canon and Nikon aren't rushing to the door to offer new professional cameras, because the professional market is very wary of large investments in equipment.

As professional image makers, we are  becoming less and less prone to just buy because it's new.   Amateurs, which is a much larger market, are the real driver of still photography and the marketing thrust by Phase and Hasselblad reflects this.

I guess my point is, things are what they are and you can't fault any company for doing what they think is best. 

As users, we don't set on the board of camera companies, work in R+D or have any say so as to what is made for a certain price. 

We only vote with our pocketbook and by the time a company or industry realizes they've made a mistake then it's usually too late to recover.

IMO

BC

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:42 am »

mr bcooter, i thought the brain of an epic was about 28k? i wouldn't have thought a few accessories like a battery etc would add up too much..
the price of an epic has had me questioning the price of the latest medium format offerings.... i mean, i would love a full frame back with a great screen- its about time backs had these. but for not much more, you can get a movie camera that can shoot a blockbuster...
in a country like new zealand, i know there will be probably at least a dozen epics purchased privately- excluding the 30 or more that peter jackson has bought.
i would be very surprised if the whole of new zealand photographers buy 3 of these new phase one backs...
not that people don't want them, its just priced out of the market here.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

bcooter

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 06:02:58 am »

mr bcooter, i thought the brain of an epic was about 28k? i wouldn't have thought a few accessories like a battery etc would add up too much..
the price of an epic has had me questioning the price of the latest medium format offerings.... i mean, i would love a full frame back with a great screen- its about time backs had these. but for not much more, you can get a movie camera that can shoot a blockbuster...
in a country like new zealand, i know there will be probably at least a dozen epics purchased privately- excluding the 30 or more that peter jackson has bought.
i would be very surprised if the whole of new zealand photographers buy 3 of these new phase one backs...
not that people don't want them, its just priced out of the market here.

paul

The only epics being sold now are a kit and hand made, unless you want to wait a year.

They go for $58,000, though the grip, batteries and EFV Bomb are not out yet, so you need extra red one batteries and chargers, mini xlr to normal xlr inputs, rails, ssd cards which go from $1,400 to $3,800 and of course lenses.  I use nikon mount Ziess and the Epic only takes PL so that's a minimum of 20 to 30 k for a decent amount of primes.

that get's you close to 90 grand and don't forget tax of 10.5% and your staring at 100 large.

Now the Epic is smaller than the RED ONE by about 1/2 but only weighs 3 lbs less (not including batteries or grip) and it's not really 5k if you shoot 16x9 because the Epic is 2:1 ratio.

And don't forget you gotta wait for the bomb, the batteries and the grip and in RED Land that can be a long wait.

Also, don't price stuff on the RED site, go into the store and start loading up.  You'll drop 25k on stuff before you get warmed up.

Little things from RED don't come cheap and make the IQ 180 look like the price of a 5d2.

So add it up and maybe they will sell 60 of them in your home country, but I bet when they add it up, 90% of the sales go into rentals.

Compare that to the 25k for a base RED One with the mx sensor and no matter how you cut it you save 30 grand.

Also, I don't know what Mr. Jackson pays, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that he don't pay cash and he don't pay list.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:14:08 am by bcooter »

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:19:11 am »

never thought this could go to red one.....any one has a thought on Arri alexa?

bcooter

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:00 am »

This is an inevitable comparison between the RED and medium format, given that that motion is more of a requirement for professional photographers and there is only so much room in the pie for expenditures.

The RED, though low priced for real cinema cameras, is very close in price to medium format and has parallels between medium format and dslrs.

Also the RED has somewhat the same business model of medium format.  New camera with 80% of the features, with 20% to come.  We've all played this game.

Right now most professional photographers that are learning how to price, produce and shoot motion and doing so with smaller cameras.  The next step up the food chain is the RED or the Arri.

With a learning curve, continuous lights, different camera mounts and a new workflow, different crew,  it's not just money.  There is also so much room in the time pie, unless someone invents the 36 hour day.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »

IMO, the thing with the Alexa is that it requires more a certain orthodoxy. In other words, the presence of the Alexa here is mostly in the hand of cine guys while the Red with it's "similitudes" with MF cameras is the prefered used by photographers-videographers.

The fact is that the Alexa still intimidates.

Last time I saw it in action it was during a cine filming. 2 assistants just to prepare the cam, clean it, connect it and the camera operator was an old fox who spent his entire life in cine industry. The thing is Arri was already there and those guys still using the brand, they feel home. Also, the render right-out-the-box is closer to film than Red One (without using ArriRaw) and directors generally like very much its look.

Red is wilder, unpredictable and powerfull. The corporate image is almost brutal. Red is IMO what the new cine-video-photographers generation will use, it will be the reference. But...

The funny thing is that Canon is developing PL mount optics with 27.5mm image circle wich would fit the Alexa but not the Red Epic because of its wider sensor. It makes me wonder if Canon is not planning a super35mm camera.
It's also interesting to note that NUke 6 opens by default in super 35mm. It seems to me that there is a "tendency", or are there just tendencies?

In that Panorama, I'm not sure if the Red Epic is not a gear that will be in a sort of no-man's land because in a way it's out of everything else. In that sense I think bcooter had a good smell not get tempted by the sirens songs and stayed pragmatic. There are still a lot of uncertainties.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:20:31 pm by fredjeang »

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »

Er, um..... Medium format stills photography anyone?
Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

eronald

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 02:41:53 pm »

Er, um..... Medium format stills photography anyone?

Met a few in my time, but mostly gone these oldtimers are, mate  ;D

Edmund

fredjeang

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »

It's interesting, the comparaisons with MF because it seems that the same is happening in motion.

The situation is divided in 2 bands. Settled is the 2K HD and digital cinema seems to adopt definatly 4k.

On the "small sensors-cheap" we have the 5D, 7D, GH2...and the camcorders. Those are the 2Ks

On the big expensive artillery equivalent to MF is RED ONE (no surprise if some comments further up saw similitudes within politics) and ARRI.

It will not be surprising to see the same sort of "battles" we know in still.

Very soon we will see the 7D family guys arguying that the REDs are too big, heavy, expensive and slow and that they don't give any significant advantage for 2K but only if you print big (in thisa case cine) etc...
Then the proud muscles guys will strike-back with resolution and DR argument, that 4K downsampled to 2 gives better MQ (motion quality) and will feed the internet with Arri workshops or Red trips in Mozambique.
There will be a war between Avid and Premiere Pro, Mac vs pc, stills vs motion, 2K vs 4K, a complete mess.

Be preapared, it's on the street corner.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:59:40 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up