Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 and OSX Lion problems printing  (Read 27282 times)

jnmoore

Epson 3880 and OSX Lion problems printing
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »

Hi,

Installed Lion but, although printer driver (with new limited dialogue boxes) show up I am unable to print (from Lightroom). I get an error no matter what I try.

Went to Epson site to re-install current driver but get nowhere as the install fails! (opens up video window??)

Any help appreciated.

John

Farmer

Re: Epson 3880 and OSX Lion problems printing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:15:43 am »

Sounds like you may have the Apple supplied driver (Gutenprint), rather than the Epson driver.

You may want to completely remove the current printer and driver and then install the latest Epson driver.
Phil Brown

Photo Op

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:13:24 am »

And remember to install the Combo update as well! It's located on the same page. It made the driver compatible with Snow Leopard and supposedly with Lion.
David

jnmoore

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »

Hmmm...

I don't see any combo updater. I downloaded driver6.6 using my FTP client from the UK site and installed after no luck with US site. Still getting the same error when printing:

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/cgpdftoraster failed

I may have to use my backup Superduper to re-install Snow Leopard. (Fortunately I backed up the boot drive just before installing.) This is depressing.

John

jnmoore

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »

Back to Snow Leopard and all is well again. Some people aren't having any problems with the 3880 and Lion but something is strange on my machine.

If in doubt wait to upgrade to Lion till after Epson releases updated drivers -- supposedly in mid August.

Thanks for the ideas.

John

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 05:34:58 pm »

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=141552&prodoid=63085147&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh

6.6 Driver is file epson13579.dmg to download and install.  The common updater V7.0 is file epson13884.dmg to download and install.  Driver first, then updater.  Both available from the link above.
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:46:52 am »

Back to Snow Leopard and all is well again. Some people aren't having any problems with the 3880 and Lion but something is strange on my machine.

If in doubt wait to upgrade to Lion till after Epson releases updated drivers -- supposedly in mid August.

Thanks for the ideas.

John
While I don't blame you for being cautious, I'm afraid "updated" drivers most likely will not solve your problem.  3880 works fine with Lion and current Epson drivers are compatible.  Whatever your issue, it appears to be an anomaly, so eventually you're  probably going to have to track it down whenever you do decide to move to Lion.  There is an old nasty bug with CUPS printing that required a "CUPS uninstaller" from Epson.  Also, it's critical not to apply Apples Epson printer updates when they pop up in your software update.  Additionally I vaguely recall seeing that error before and it seems it had something to do with using bonjour instead of TCP (even though Epson says on their site to use Bonjour and not TCP).

Just some thoughts.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:18 am »

(even though Epson says on their site to use Bonjour and not TCP).

FWIW, I've never used Bonjour to connect to an Epson printer under OS X - always TCP - never a problem.
Phil Brown

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:35 am »

I had the same issue with the reduced-functionality driver after the Lion upgrade. I followed Epson's instructions (remove the old driver, re-install) and my 3880 works fine.

John, I'm guessing you may have missed a step.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

One sure fired way to end up with reduced driver functionality is to let Appleā€™s system update install anything to do with an Epson driver. Always check what the System Update is going to do, if you see Epson described, remove it from the update.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Photo Op

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »

Just finished installing 3880 driver and combo update as I described above on new MacMini with Lion Server. After migration from Snow Leopard on an Intel MacPro, no printers were installed on the Mini. Installed 3880. Opened Lightroom for test print. Selected 5x7 photo printed days ago as test. ALL Presets and profiles carried over from migration. Verified settings in the driver. Let her rip. Results were even better than pre Lion version. Sky blues were even truer blue (had issues with the dreaded "purple" tinge). More printing may show issues, but for now I'm a happy camper. YMMV!
David

jnmoore

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »

Thanks for everyone's help. After being convinced it was not Lion I re-installed Lion. I immediately uninstalled all the Gutenprint drivers:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php (be carefull if you use multiple printers as it may disable them)

I then deleted the epson folder from the printers folder and deleted the epson choice from the printer/scanner control panel and then re-installed 6.6 and the update as suggested and then re selected epson 3880 in the control panel. All is well!

Lesson learned -- if just printing to your Epson get rid of those Gutenprint drivers ....

John

JaneL

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 08:31:53 am »

Hi ,
I installed Lion on new iMac with Epson 3800 printer . I followed instructions from Epson website, removing printer and then downloading and reinstalling the driver and the common updater. Printing in lightroom seemed ok.
Now I  just upgraded i1pro to ipublish A upgrade ( from match which was not compatible with Lion)
I tried to print target profile. The problem it is the Color Matching area is grayed out, so I cannot print the profile.
Anyone else having this problem?
Please help.
Thanks.
JL

knweiss

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »

FWIW, there's a new Epson 3800 driver version 8.64 (dated 2011-08-01, file ID 328233). It comes with the brief description "This version is adding support to Mac OS X 10.7 - Lion".

I haven't tested it by myself yet because I'm still testing Lion on my MacBook Pro (and the 3800 is connected to the Mac Pro which is still on 10.6.8.)

(Apart from the driver: Is there a working version of Epson LFP Remote Panel for Lion and Epson 3800?)

AlanShaw

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 08:34:57 am »

FWIW, there's a new Epson 3800 driver version 8.64 (dated 2011-08-01, file ID 328233). It comes with the brief description "This version is adding support to Mac OS X 10.7 - Lion".

I haven't tested it by myself yet because I'm still testing Lion on my MacBook Pro (and the 3800 is connected to the Mac Pro which is still on 10.6.8.)

I had problems printing after upgrading to Lion so tried this driver. Didn't work.

Did what Epson suggested and deleted and reinstalled v6.60 and I'm running again.

JaneL

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:49:08 am »

I am in the  USA and the Epson support does not have the new driver for the Epson 3800.
I went to the EU Epson support and I do see this new driver, but I am hesitant to use.
I am able to print with the 6.11 driver and the prints seem okay.
Somehow all seems to be resolved as the Color Matching choice is now available.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up