Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Softproofing 6 Channel ICC Profiles in Photoshop!  (Read 2437 times)

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
Softproofing 6 Channel ICC Profiles in Photoshop!
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:36 pm »

I'm trying to get a 6 channel ICC Profile I created in I1profiler for my large format Giclee Printing to be available to softproof in Photoshop (I'm testing this on CS3,CS4,CS5 and Elements 6). Whenever I install (via right clicking on the .icm icon and selecting "Install Profile") the 6 channel ICC profile I've created I can't seem to get it to show up in the menu:

View >> Proof Setup >> Custom >> Proof Conditions - Device to Simulate.

I think/know it's possible because I'm able to get driver profiles to show up from media manufacturers such as Moab, Museo, Hahnemuhle Fine ARt Papers, Ilford, Intellicoat/Migclee, Lexjet, Fredrix, Breathing Color, etc...

Any help is much appreciated!

thanks,

Matthew
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

na goodman

Re: Softproofing 6 Channel ICC Profiles in Photoshop!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:07 pm »

Photoshop doesn't read a 6 channel profile. I went through the same thing when doing profiles on the Epson GS6000 using the Colorburst Rip only to find out PS could not read the profile.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »

recent versions of Photoshop to allow to convert to 6 channel profiles in the advanced mode. PS will also briefly "preview" the conversion, a soft proof of sorts, in the dialogue. It will not display properly after conversion though, nor will view/proof setup work with 6 channel.
Tyler

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »

NA Goodman and Tyler B,

Thanks for your responses.

Does anyone know how driver printer profiles that can be downloaded from paper manufacturers such as Hahnemuhle (http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/220/icc-profiles.html) Moab Paper (http://moabpaper.com/icc-profiles-downloads/), and other larger paper manufacturers can be used for soft proofing?  I'm assuming they are also using 6 color channels or 7 color channels for printers with RGB instead of Epson's typical OG channels.  Are they making their driver profiles only with CMYK? 

Also, NA Goodman are you still using Colorburst Rip to drive your 60000?  We switched from Colorburst because we wanted to drive multiple printers and the Colorburst Rip constantly crashed/corrupted our profiles.  It had SO MANY PROBLEMS I couldn't handle it any more.  Has that been your experience?   

We compared Onxy, WaSatch, ColorGate and Colorburst and found that through WaSatch (which really surprised our entire staff) with I1Profiler we get the most accurate color (even on spot colors because even thought WaSatch is not PMS color certified, we imported our built ICM profiles into the PMS program that comes with I1Profiler to create a spot color CMYKOG value approximation .txt file we then import into our profiles and save as color substitutions and it is considerably more accurate then other rips including Onyx which we paid an extra $400.00 for the PMS color certification for) and consistent functionality and behavior from our 6000s. 

thanks for any feedback you guys can provide!

Matthew
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »

We did continue to use the Colorburst with the GS6000. But, I agree it is not a match made in heaven. The owner of the company didn't want to update his Onyx rip so we used Colorburst. I was successful in profiling and creating new environments that rendered good color reproduction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up