Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I move Aperture Lib. from one HD to another HD?  (Read 9934 times)

Josef Isayo

Can I move Aperture Lib. from one HD to another HD?
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

I know you can change libraries to another HD but can you move the existing Aperture Library from one HD (main one) to another?

Thanks!

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Can I move Aperture Lib. from one HD to another HD?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

Yes.  With Aperture closed, use Finder to move your Library (it's a package, which shows in Finder as a file).  Then double-click it in its new location.  This will open the Library in Aperture, and set it as the Library to be opened when you launch Aperture.

For best results, your Libraries should be on the drive with the fastest throughput on your system (almost always your system drive).  If you are moving your Library to have more storage space, you should consider relocating just your Image's Master files.  Check the User Manual for the differences between Managed Masters and Referenced Masters.

Josef Isayo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »

I'm sorry but I don't follow.
Can I just move the Aperture Library Icon (Snow Capped mountain Icon) which shows 385 gigs under info, to another HD?

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:31:39 pm »

Josef -- It's hard for me to say without more information.  You can put a Library on any HD attached to your system.  The Library is a file (it has the extension "aplibrary").  You move it the same way you move any file.  Make a full backup, move your Aperture Library, double-click it, and see if it works.

Josef Isayo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:30 pm »

Hi Kirby,

I've been transferring the files via Aperture FILE>EXPORT>AS NEW LIBRARY to another HD. As soon as the transfer is complete (700 gigs or so) I assume its safe to delete the current folders to make room.
Also what is the best way to delete the current folders?

Thanks!

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »

Now you've confused me.  You started the thread talking about Libraries, and now you are talking about files.

Aperture is precise in its diction.  Given the narrowness of the straw through which we tumble letters to each other, it is helpful (to say the least) to rely on that precision.

I have posted a short "Naming of the Parts" on the Apple Aperture discussion site.  You may find it useful.

I can't respond helpfully until I know which Aperture containers you mean.  There are Libraries, Projects, Albums, and Folders (and Folders in Aperture and not the same as folders in Finder).

The command you cite is dynamic: it changes according to the currently selected container type.  For instance: "File→Export→ALBUM as new Library".

I would not delete anything until you are clear about the distinction between Aperture containers, and have positively confirmed that the transferred container and its contents work as you expect.

It might be helpful to state why you are moving these things as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up