Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loose lens mount?  (Read 3385 times)

NigelC

Loose lens mount?
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:18:43 am »

A while back I posted that i thought I might have something wrong with my Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE as attached to my 5D2, there appeared to be some lateral movement in the mount area. People I purchased off, Robert White had a look and thought Zeiss was OK. Now noticed when attaching 300f4 IS, some noticeable (slight) side to side movement of lens in mount. Is it possible for something in the 5D's lens mount to be loose in this way only manifesting with heavier lenses - the mount's external ring attachment screws seem secure.

elf

Re: Loose lens mount?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:09:02 am »

It's more likely the lens mount is at the low end of the tolerance specifications and the camera mount is at the high end.
Here's what I'd do in descending order:
  • Take the camera and lens into the store and try both with other lens and cameras.
  • Find a machinist who is capable of precision measuring to locate the source of the error.
  • Remove the camera mount from the camera, attach it to the lens and see if there is any movement.
  • While the mount is off of the camera inspect for damage or play where it is registered to the camera body.

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:51:28 am »

It's more likely the lens mount is at the low end of the tolerance specifications and the camera mount is at the high end.
Here's what I'd do in descending order:
  • Take the camera and lens into the store and try both with other lens and cameras.
  • Find a machinist who is capable of precision measuring to locate the source of the error.
  • Remove the camera mount from the camera, attach it to the lens and see if there is any movement.
  • While the mount is off of the camera inspect for damage or play where it is registered to the camera body.

Thanks. Think I'll just go with your first suggestion to start with - if movement with other heavy lenses, then will try to get camera repairer to look at under warranty (only 8 months old).

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:26:41 pm »

Some play is normal, depending on the camera/lens combo. Nikons seem more prone than Canons. If the mounts are not physically loose on either the body or lens, not much can be done, other than just replacing the flanges and see if it improves things. As lenses are mounted/dismounted, the plating wears on the flanges and the interface will loosen over time.

Haven't seen this effect Canons much, but can lead to communication problems with Nikons. Tweaking the lens in one direction or another will oftentimes correct it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up