Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D-40 won't see the Transcend 600x UDMA Card  (Read 7767 times)

evgeny

H4D-40 won't see the Transcend 600x UDMA Card
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:58:35 am »

Hi,
my H4D-40 camera came with the SanDisk 8Gb 60 Mb/s UDMA card.

I tried to replace the SanDisk card with a bigger and faster Transcend 16Gb 600x 90 MB/s UDMA Card.
The camera prompted to format the new card, but after formatting completed, the H4D-40 won't see the Transcend 16Gb 600x card. "No Card" message is displayed on the screen of digital back.
Can H4D-40 work with Transcend 16Gb 600x UDMA Card? What is wrong?
Thanks
Evgeny

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
Re: H4D-40 won't see the Transcend 600x UDMA Card
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:52 am »

I was having the same banding problem with another back (SINAR 75 LV), and the dealer recommended that I format my cards in my CANON camera (1Ds M2), I did and it has been my practice to do that since then.  The back manufacturer has since then improved the format function, but I continue to re-format using my Canon instead, still working.

Jerry

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:52 am »

I just tried an older 16Gb SanDisk card, it works without issues. Looks like the H4D doesn't recognize the Transcend branded cards.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:37:42 pm »

I just tried an older 16Gb SanDisk card, it works without issues. Looks like the H4D doesn't recognize the Transcend branded cards.

Until someone with a definitive answer jumps in, I thought I'd suggest you check that you've updated your firmware to the latest available for your back? If not that's definitely worth a shot (though I'd contact your dealer rather than play in the dark or wait for forum answers).

I don't keep track of which cards Hassy supports on each firmware version, but for Phase and Leaf it's definitely the case that sometimes brand new cards (the latest/greatest/fastest/largest) are not supported on older firmware and sometimes new firmware offering support lags a few weeks/months after the release of such cards. [example Phase One list of CF cards supported/tested by firmware version]

Again, not meaning to butt in to a Hassy thread (I see nothing brand-specific positive or negative here) and I'm only commenting to help him out until he either speaks with his dealer or someone else can post a definitive in-the-know response.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:41:05 pm by dougpetersonci »

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »

Hi Doug,
thank you for the advice.
I received the camera from local dealer a few days ago.
I installed today the latest firmware "Camera_Body_firmware_H4D_cb110708" in the body.
The digital back come with the R361 firmware, so I skipped installation of the "Sensor Unit firmware H4D-40-50-200MS___R361".

The Transcend 600x UDMA Card sells in stores at least six months or probably longer. I see your point anyway.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:07:47 pm »

You might want to try formatting the card as msdos fat on your computer.

evgeny

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:21:44 pm »

I formatted the card as MS-DOS (fat) in Mac's OS DiskUtility, but it didn't help.
I sold the card to someone who shot with Canon. The card does work, but not in Hasselblad H4D camera.

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

I have also experienced problems with clients using Transcend...

I know it is not what you want to hear, but you didn't come here for sweet talk;

If the SanDisk works, why use the Transcend? Time and time again, I use the SanDisk = camera works wonderfully. Use Transcend  = problems. Weird stuff too, like working fine then suddenly issues. Put SanDisk in, no problems. My experience is that the extra cost for the SanDisk shows in the actual performance of the product, not just for show...Transcend could use a little more quality control so I could experience the same performance with their brand.

Please don't think this is a SanDisk commercial. Your experience may vary. But I get consistent performance out of using *any* version of SanDisk, even 4-year old Ultra 512MB cards. (I know, try not to laugh, they are in the emergency bag and get used when the big boys get full.)

My $0.02 worth; go with what works...the rest is up for debate over beer and wings.

FWIW, the Hasselblad uses a CF reader/writer that is designed for UDMA...

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

Just for the sake of balance - I've got a sandisk 400x  8gb card that works in the canon 5d2 and the hasselblad CF-39 but not in the Leaf aptus 12.    On the other hand I've got two transcend 600x cards (16gb and 32gb) that work in all the cameras.  I've got two lexar pro 400x that won't work in the Leaf or the Hasselblad CF but work in the Canon.     I get lines through the files when they are in the Leaf and the CF won't recognize them.    All very strange.  The only card that ever outright failed on me was a sandisk and I lost work (and my fee's for that portion of the job). 

Rolleiflex USA

donaldt

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 01:19:31 am »

I got the 600x 32Gb for my H3Dii-50
same thing it doesnt work even after the formatting, it works on my D3 though

asked Hass
the answer was, upgrade to H4D, and use Sandisk
personally dont see why we can only use Sandisk, but H4D does have a newer firmware to use with something like 400x cards

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 01:38:38 am »

Just for the sake of balance - I've got a sandisk 400x  8gb card that works in the canon 5d2 and the hasselblad CF-39 but not in the Leaf aptus 12.    On the other hand I've got two transcend 600x cards (16gb and 32gb) that work in all the cameras.  I've got two lexar pro 400x that won't work in the Leaf or the Hasselblad CF but work in the Canon.     I get lines through the files when they are in the Leaf and the CF won't recognize them.    All very strange.  The only card that ever outright failed on me was a sandisk and I lost work (and my fee's for that portion of the job). 

I bought a handful of Transcend cards at the recommendation of a digital tech and two weeks later threw them away.

One of the few instances I had to recover images from cards and it's not just worth the risk.

I now always call the manufacturer and get exact specs.

IMO

BC

evgeny

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »

My camera already has the new firmware, it doesn't help. I currently use a 8Gb 60mb/s and an older 16Gb 45 mb/s SanDisk cards.

jduncan

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:41:37 am »

My camera already has the new firmware, it doesn't help. I currently use a 8Gb 60mb/s and an older 16Gb 45 mb/s SanDisk cards.

Maybe you could ask David Grover, he should be able to give a definitive answer.
english is not my first language, an I k

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:07:11 am »

What would you rather be, Good or Lucky?

My H4D 40 came with a plain white labeled SanDisk card marked 60MB/s 400X 8GB. I have used this card and 16 Lexar Pro 8gb & 16gb cards plus 4 ADATA 533x 16GB cards with no issues in the H4D camera.

I had one card failure in the past, I bought 4 cards and they were all bad (bad batch?) I returned them and have had no issues since.

Lucky I guess.

evgeny

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »

Hasselblad adviced to use the newest H4D firmware. It doesn't solve the problem with Transcend card. I use other cards made by SanDisk.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »

I formatted the card as MS-DOS (fat) in Mac's OS DiskUtility, but it didn't help.
I sold the card to someone who shot with Canon. The card does work, but not in Hasselblad H4D camera.

You should just sell your HD-4 and buy a compatible camera  ;)

Sorry, as a long time fan of Transcend, I couldn't resist.  I can, however, empathize with your frustration.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

evgeny

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:39:22 am »

I heard film cameras do not need any cards ;D

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:09 am »

Considering the large number of counterfeit cards, probably the seller is more important than the brand name.  I would not buy from ebay for example or other unknown internet sellers. 
Rolleiflex USA

evgeny

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 04:17:10 am »

I buy cards from B&H.

dynaman

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

Considering the large number of counterfeit cards, probably the seller is more important than the brand name.  I would not buy from ebay for example or other unknown internet sellers. 

That is nowadays a serious problem, especially on ebay.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up