Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 VS 32  (Read 10321 times)

howard smith

16 VS 32
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 02:29:42 pm »

BlasR,

As an American, I apologize to you for Jonathan's behavior.  I would like to think he is not typical.  He is rude and arrogant and tries to show how much he knows by ridiculing those who ask questions or do not agree with him.

From some of his other posts, I can only assume he has not been to college and is "self educated" in photography.  "Self taught," to me, is the same as home schooled but you are your instructor.  You decide for yourself what you want to study (think you need to know) and what the right answers are.

Again, please do not think Jonathan represents Americans.  If you do, we have truly earned the title of "Ugly American."

Ray

16 VS 32
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 08:20:41 pm »

That seems a very rigid point of view, Howard. Even in a fair and corrupt free judicial system, the law cannot (or should not if justice is to prevail) be applied equally to all offenders, because peoples' circumstances and needs vary enormously.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
16 VS 32
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 08:48:07 pm »

Blas,

The Luminous Landscape is a wonderful website with many thoughtful, experienced and helpful people who contribute real knowledge to eachother including new-comers. However, being an open public resource, all kinds participate, and you may have heard the saying "it takes all types to make a world". I have at the same time much respect for Jonathan's technical expertise and serious reservations about how he sometimes treats people. But the important thing is not to let yourself be intimidated. It's what we call in English "developing a thick skin." You should feel relaxed and confident to use this resource to its best advantage, because it is one of the very best on the internet. Let the off-color comments in one ear and out the other, while you retain the good stuff you will get here.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ray

16 VS 32
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 09:22:41 pm »

Very good advice, Mark! And might I make one more philosophical comment (without throwing fuel on the fire, I hope  :) ); there's no insult that hurts as much as one that contains an element of truth.

Jer

16 VS 32
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 02:02:44 am »

For the record: Johnathan's response was simply rephrasing BlasR's question to help him understand what he was asking. On it's own it's perfectly harmless. In fact it's a good lesson for those who are learning about asking questions. Granted BlasR's english isn't excellent and he was probably unable to catch his drift, but for the rest of you: come on. Perhaps somewhere else in these forums there's a reason for this resentment, but this can't be it.
     Congratulations to everyone whose participated in this mind tingling lesson in manners. I can say I haven't been this engrossed about anything since last weeks oatmeal. Darn was that good. This is officially the lamest thread ever. Michael, will you put one of those locks on this thread like they do on that other nice forum?  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up