Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: ITT: wow me with some of your non-professional work  (Read 405926 times)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: ITT: wow me with some of your non-professional work
« Reply #660 on: October 30, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »

Jim,

I use this beast, the Howtek 4500

I'm sort of looking into flatbeds for proofing, as well.

Chris, You're a hard working guy!  What resolution are you working with?  I had an Imacon that would scan 4x5 and 6x17, no holder for 4x10 but theoretically it could have handled it.  Just out of curiosity, what's the attraction?  Jim

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #661 on: October 30, 2014, 08:31:49 pm »

Hmmm, having a scanner like that, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to film!

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #662 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:45 pm »

Ha... seriously!  With fifty grand worth of Phase One / Arca Swiss gear, why am I shooting film?  Well, It's kinda fun.  I'm enjoying the big groundglass, metering my exposures and developing the film.  Secondly, the Howtek can scan up to 4000 dpi, that yields a file several times over what I get from the IQ 260, which allows me to print up to 100" wide. This is all really for what I consider my "Fine Art" work and I appreciate the slowness of the process for that.  For commercial work, I would never give up the digital workflow.

Lastly, I have to admit to being a bit of a camera junky and this thing is beautiful... I actually took it into the studio before I ever put film in it...

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #663 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »

Sweet! Fine Art of course!.
I regret selling a few years ago my Horseman VH 6x9. I got to have 3 of those.
With Agfa APX 100. That was sweet.

Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

haefnerphoto

« Reply #664 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:34 am »

Ha... seriously!  With fifty grand worth of Phase One / Arca Swiss gear, why am I shooting film?  Well, It's kinda fun.  I'm enjoying the big groundglass, metering my exposures and developing the film.  Secondly, the Howtek can scan up to 4000 dpi, that yields a file several times over what I get from the IQ 260, which allows me to print up to 100" wide. This is all really for what I consider my "Fine Art" work and I appreciate the slowness of the process for that.  For commercial work, I would never give up the digital workflow.

Lastly, I have to admit to being a bit of a camera junky and this thing is beautiful... I actually took it into the studio before I ever put film in it...

Well, it is a beautiful piece of equipment!  I've got one lens tucked away somewhere that will cover 8x10, I'll send it to you.  Jim

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Chris Barrett

« Reply #666 on: October 31, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »

Jim, that's very kind of you.  I was out yesterday doing more explorations.  This is from Portra 160 8x10 that I cut down.  Souped the C-41 in a Jobo drum, scanned and then post in P'Shop.  I think I dig color.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #667 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »

Certainly put together beautifully...
I looked on their website and it says you could have it for ArcaSwiss boards.  Doesn't look like you went this route?

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #668 on: November 01, 2014, 03:26:19 am »

Hi,

It seems that kind of scanners are available at pretty low cost, but maintenance may be problematic.

The articles I have read would indicate that scanning at 6000PPI is beneficial, reducing grain aliasing. The images may need some good nose reduction.

Best regards
Erik

Hmmm, having a scanner like that, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to film!

ACH
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Barrett

« Reply #669 on: November 01, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »

I looked on their website and it says you could have it for ArcaSwiss boards.  Doesn't look like you went this route?

Yeah, I asked Hugo, the owner, about going the Arca route but they had these in stock and I was a little impatient.  One drag about the Linhof boards is that you're limited in lens orientations.  I prefer to mount mine with the cable release falling downward and the Linhof boards don't allow enough room.  :(

The lenses that I use with my Arca System won't cover the 4x10 and the 8x10 lenses I bought aren't likely to have the resolution for the IQ260, so in the end I didn't see myself needing that compatibility.

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #670 on: November 03, 2014, 02:49:41 am »

Keep the good stuff coming Alexey!

Here's some P30+ stuff!

These are great!
Web: www.deanelliottstudio.com
Insta: @deanelliottstudio

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #671 on: November 04, 2014, 11:37:13 pm »

That's a beautiful machine, Chris - thanks for sharing your work!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chris Barrett

« Reply #672 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:25 pm »

and another...

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #673 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »

A great shot Chris. 

Dang that looks like fun. 
I really miss shooting large format film.  It was a different world.
Craig Lamson Photo

danlandoni

• www.danlandoni.com
« Reply #674 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:51 am »

Mamiya 645 with Portra and the rest are H2 with P30+. Have a good weekend everyone!

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #675 on: November 09, 2014, 04:16:35 am »

Yeah, I asked Hugo, the owner, about going the Arca route but they had these in stock and I was a little impatient.  One drag about the Linhof boards is that you're limited in lens orientations.  I prefer to mount mine with the cable release falling downward and the Linhof boards don't allow enough room.  :(

The lenses that I use with my Arca System won't cover the 4x10 and the 8x10 lenses I bought aren't likely to have the resolution for the IQ260, so in the end I didn't see myself needing that compatibility.

Thanks Chris.
Clarity in each point - total sense.

Photographs are wonderful.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #676 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:39 am »

Testing the new Epson flatbed scanner V850
Ilford Delta 100, H1, 80mm HC, scanner jpeg output @about 5MB
my standard "tomb test" no further post work
Love that Hasselblad kept the notches going to 6x4.5

Chris Barrett

« Reply #677 on: November 09, 2014, 09:19:10 am »

Hey Chris, I've been considering a flatbed to proof my large format negs.  Can the Epson scan without a film holder?  Specifically, can I just lay my 4x10's on the bed and scan them?

Thanks,
CB

Chris Livsey

« Reply #678 on: November 09, 2014, 11:40:43 am »

Hey Chris, I've been considering a flatbed to proof my large format negs.  Can the Epson scan without a film holder?  Specifically, can I just lay my 4x10's on the bed and scan them?

Thanks,
CB

Dear CB,

You can indeed by placing straight onto the "bed", from the manual (which is largely not good in detail) :You can scan film that cannot be placed in the film holders (up to 8 × 10 inch film) using the film area guide in Professional Mode. When scanning film using the film area guide, always select Film (with Film Area Guide) as the Document Type.
You cannot use DIGITAL ICE Technology when scanning film with the film area guide.
If you scan 8 × 10 inch film at 4800 dpi resolution and 24 bit color as the Image Type, do not save it in BMP, Tiff, or JPEG format.
When scanning using the film area guide, striped (newton) rings may appear in your scanned images.

I wish I had some 10x8 to try, my largest is some old 4x5 but I tempted now to start again, especially seeing your lovely camera.

I did run a 120 at full res to produce a 60MB jpeg file which would print @360 5x7 feet peeping on screen I saw nothing I would be unhappy with.

haefnerphoto

« Reply #679 on: November 09, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »

Hey Chris, I've been considering a flatbed to proof my large format negs.  Can the Epson scan without a film holder?  Specifically, can I just lay my 4x10's on the bed and scan them?

Thanks,
CB

Chris, Newton Rings are a real issue (or at least they were when I was using a flatbed scanner years ago).  You might look into an Imacon, perhaps they have a 4x10 holder (or one can be constructed).  The Imacon I had could scan 4x5 and also had a 6x17 holder.  I wonder if you could scan the image as a 4x5 then flip the film around and scan again.  Assembling the two resulting images in PS shouldn't be an issue.  What's the issue with your drum scanner?  Jim
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47   Go Up