Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: ITT: wow me with some of your non-professional work  (Read 405948 times)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: ITT: wow me with some of your non-professional work
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2013, 07:14:34 am »

Chris, What do you think about the quality of the file?  How does it compare to the 5dmk3 and 260 files?  How does the camera's live view work compared to the Canon?  Are there any issues with it and the 17?  Thanks, Jim

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:35 am »

Chris, What do you think about the quality of the file?  How does it compare to the 5dmk3 and 260 files?  How does the camera's live view work compared to the Canon?  Are there any issues with it and the 17?  Thanks, Jim

Added to Jim's thoughts, does it tether to c1 or anything?
Craig Lamson Photo

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:57 am »

Jim, the 17 and 24 both work nicely on it.  I dig the files.  I think I'll go down and setup a tripod in my living room to compare the A7r / IQ260 / 5d2 (the 5d3 never interested me)...  maybe even the Epic too just for fun.

Here's another out of the Sony, 24 TS-E II...

Edit:  Craig, no C1 support yet but Lionel tells me it's coming!  I read somewhere that you could tether into LR with a plugin.  Haven't tried that yet.  A couple more things I totally dig:  on the EVF you can enable Focus Peaking (ala a video camera). I've found it pretty accurate.  Also, it will give you digital horizon and pitch indicators which get the camera in the ballpark of level.  The live view is as good as Canon's.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:44 am »

Thanks Chris, this camera looks interesting with Canon lenses.  C1 tether is really important to me as I shoot as a one man band and Capture Pilot on the iPad makes my life so much easier.
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:28 am »

Jim, the 17 and 24 both work nicely on it.  I dig the files.  I think I'll go down and setup a tripod in my living room to compare the A7r / IQ260 / 5d2 (the 5d3 never interested me)...  maybe even the Epic too just for fun.

Here's another out of the Sony, 24 TS-E II...

Edit:  Craig, no C1 support yet but Lionel tells me it's coming!  I read somewhere that you could tether into LR with a plugin.  Haven't tried that yet.  A couple more things I totally dig:  on the EVF you can enable Focus Peaking (ala a video camera). I've found it pretty accurate.  Also, it will give you digital horizon and pitch indicators which get the camera in the ballpark of level.  The live view is as good as Canon's.

So does this Sony camera allow you to use Canon lenses?  If so, how?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »

Walking around in the snow this morning

MrSmith

« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »

A camera comparison test I'm really interested in. Would love to have a play with a raw file if you get round to shooting a test.

bcooter

« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2013, 05:43:29 pm »

If Canon, Nikon and Phase aren't working on a electronic viewfinder system, then to paraphrase  Ross Perot, that great sucking noise you hear is people moving to another platform. (well he didn't exactly say that).

Chris I understand why you went with the R version because most of what you shoot in stills isn't moving, but I do wonder why they didn't add the same focus capabilties to the R that they did the A7.

Anyway, Ive looked and investigated tethering and Sony says they have a solution, but doesn't make mention of how it works, or where it is. 

http://blog.sony.com/2013/10/a7-faq/

"Yes the α7 and α7R offers tethering capabilities for still and video both Mac and PC but does not include Live View transmission. 
For that, you’ll want to use the PlayMemories Mobile and Smart Control . These are pre-installed on both cameras."

If you run Windows or have an Android tablet, this company makes a software for tethering.

http://dslrsoftware.com/tethered_shoot_lr5_a7_windows.php

Then again I don't know anyone that runs windows or Android.

IMO

BC

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:40 pm »

Which focus capabilities?  The r has focus peaking and live view zooming (which works better than my 5d2).  Or does the A7 have better autofocus?

I wrote Lionel, one of the programmers at Phase 1 and A7 support will be coming to C1 Pro, so that will be the ideal tether solution.  For now I've got a dorky workaround:  I use Sony's "Remote Camera Control" app to connect to the laptop.  That shoots to a watched folder that LightRoom auto imports from.  It's ok... for now.

Here are some quick tests from my festive living room as raw files:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/coeaopdb1srglbe/jdi7ZiT4IX

You need Lightroom 5.3 Release Candidate to process the Sony files.... or some crappy Sony software I guess.

I'll process these all out and post them to a new thread shortly.

Cheers,
CB
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:38:59 pm by Chris Barrett »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »

Walking around in the snow this morning

Ok Alan, where are you located?  I cant get nice winter scenes like that when it is mid winter where I am at. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

MrSmith

« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »

Thanks Chris, I'll peruse those files tomorrow.

bcooter

« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2013, 03:59:09 am »

Which focus capabilities?  The r has focus peaking and live view zooming (which works better than my 5d2).  Or does the A7 have better autofocus?

I wrote Lionel, one of the programmers at Phase 1 and A7 support will be coming to C1 Pro, so that will be the ideal tether solution.  For now I've got a dorky workaround:  I use Sony's "Remote Camera Control" app to connect to the laptop.  That shoots to a watched folder that LightRoom auto imports from.  It's ok... for now.

Here are some quick tests from my festive living room as raw files:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/coeaopdb1srglbe/jdi7ZiT4IX

You need Lightroom 5.3 Release Candidate to process the Sony files.... or some crappy Sony software I guess.

Cheers,
CB

The A7 focus faster and more accurately.   A lot of both.

I don't know about Sony software but I'd love crappy Canon software because for tethering it blows c-1 away.  The 1dx uses ethernet and you can run a cable the length of a football field and it never, ever, ever drops a frame or doesn't come up instantly.

Phase has never made the ethernet work with C-1.

I like C-1, use to like it a lot better until the latest release that is bog slow, but it's still more complicated than it need be.

Use DPP with adobe bridge as a browser, you'll see what I mean.

IMO

BC

Craig Lamson

« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2013, 10:37:16 am »

Cheers,
CB

Thanks Chris, interesting results.

Craig Lamson Photo

alan_b

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »

Ok Alan, where are you located?  I cant get nice winter scenes like that when it is mid winter where I am at.

It's the Deschutes River in Central Oregon.  We've had a bit of winter lately, -20˚F last night  :o

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2013, 06:34:33 pm »

Hi,

I would suggest that the sensors are different generation. The A7 uses the same sensor as the one on the Alpha 99 with phase detection on chip while the A7r uses a chip that is similar to the Nikon D800 chip.

Best regards
Erik

Chris I understand why you went with the R version because most of what you shoot in stills isn't moving, but I do wonder why they didn't add the same focus capabilties to the R that they did the A7.

IMO

BC

Erik Kaffehr

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2013, 03:28:02 pm »

Kensico Lake, Westchester Co. NY - hb cf39-ms on h2 with 80mm

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:50 pm »

The A7 focus faster and more accurately.   A lot of both.

I don't know about Sony software but I'd love crappy Canon software because for tethering it blows c-1 away.  The 1dx uses ethernet and you can run a cable the length of a football field and it never, ever, ever drops a frame or doesn't come up instantly.

Phase has never made the ethernet work with C-1.

I like C-1, use to like it a lot better until the latest release that is bog slow, but it's still more complicated than it need be.

Use DPP with adobe bridge as a browser, you'll see what I mean.

IMO

BC

+1 Indeed!

Fyi:  I do use both platforms and the Mac is more for show piece:-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »

Kensico Lake, Westchester Co. NY - hb cf39-ms on h2 with 80mm

calm and nice
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

alan_b

« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »

Snow & rocks from this morning
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:58:13 pm by alan_b »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47   Go Up