Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a decent Arca Swiss based Ball Head?  (Read 15746 times)

tm3

Re: What is a decent Arca Swiss based Ball Head?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:02 am »

ellis thanks very much for your help!

wouldn't the most cost effective solution (for using old style plates) be to buy the version of the P0 with the screw stud and then add the RRS PCL-1, or a "plain" clamp from kirk etc.? 

just to be sure let me ask, the old style plates simply won't fit in the slidefix clamp, correct?  it would be nice if i could use both the slidefix and the older plates interchangeably.

again, thanks for the info.  i've been curious about the P0 for a while but have had trouble getting info on it.

also, i'm curious about what software you use to make your panorama images as once i'm equipped i'll be experimenting.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 10:36:57 am »

Just to chime in with the praises of the P0, I love mine. It is very light and compact and handles my Pentax 645D well. I also use it for panos by just mounting a Manfrotto macro rail to it. I use Photoshop to stitch the panos.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »

@tm3

"just to be sure let me ask, the old style plates simply won't fit in the slidefix clamp, correct?  it would be nice if i could use both the slidefix and the older plates interchangeably."

The older style plates are too wide -roughly 2x too wide- to fit in a SlideFix only clamp. Arca-Swiss does make a clamp that works with both SlideFix and the wider older QR plates but unless you want / need to use both systems I think your idea to "buy the version of the P0 with the screw stud and then add the RRS PCL-1, or a "plain" clamp from kirk etc.?  " is indeed the more affordable option.

"also, i'm curious about what software you use to make your panorama images as once i'm equipped i'll be experimenting."

I use PTGui Pro, the latest version. I don't know if you can see it without being on google plus, but this : https://plus.google.com/109729682469414639106/posts  is a three row pan shot with a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark 3 in an Really Right Stuff Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot package (http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=Ult-Pro-OPP&type=3&eq=&desc=Ultimate-Pro-Omni-Pivot-Package&key=it) on top of an Arca-Swiss p0 head mounted on a carbon fiber Induro legset. The full resolution version is 7,259 x 20,331 pixels.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:51:46 pm by Ellis Vener »

tm3

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »

great stuff, all, and thanks.

when i get to a better computer i'll try to pull that image up and take a look.

thanks again!

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »

I'm not sure if what you say about buying a P0 with a screw top is correct or not viv-a-vis price.  The most useful one, in my opinion, is a P0 with
a classic(new style) QR.  It will handle any classic plate and the new Monoball Fix plates as well.  If you go with RRS or others they are 1 or 2mm wider and you can't easily use
a mixed set of plates as each manufacturer is some what different.

Also the compact Monoball Fix plates are anti twist in some cases and far more compact and light than most classic plates.  Monoball Fix system also has universal L Brackets which can switch cameras, so you don't have to purchase a new L'Bracket when you change bodies.  And the brackets are anti-twist or incoroporate a Monoball Fix QR taht takes anti-twist plates as well.

this setup will still be extremely compact and quick to use and incorporates a level in the top as well.  No level in the screw top as you couldn't see it anyway
with a QR installed.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

tm3

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

thanks rod what you describe (P0 + classic QR) is what i would prefer, giving the option if i understand you correctly of using either kirk/RRS plates or the new monoball plates.  with that option any new plates that i would buy would be arca, but still able to use my old kirk plates.

your description of the L bracket is an added bonus.  the universal L brackets from other vendors are relatively cumbersome.

however, there are two problems and i would love it if you (or anyone else) can help me out.

1) i don't see the P0 offered with "classic QR."  BH and adorama have the option of slidefix QR, or screw stud.  where does one find a P0 with the classic QR you describe?

2) today i received a P0 that i ordered last week online from BH, and with the following observations 

A the ballhead mechanism is very stiff, requiring quite a push to get the ballhead to 90 degrees.  other high quality ballheads that i have used in the past (arca, RRS, photoclam, etc.) have been quite loose when the tightening mechanism is released, with some gradation if partially tightened.  this P0 locks and unlocks with a short turn, and goes from locked to a fair amount of stiffness.

B the panning mechanism does not seem to work.  when i loosen the small lever, no rotation is possible with reasonable force.  further turning of the lever screws it off.

C when i turn the locking ring to unlock the ballhead, the base tends to unscrew from the tripod.  is it necessary to locktite the base to the tripod?

i am assuming that this particular P0 is defective.  is that correct or is there some adjustment that i am unaware of?

i would really like to be able to make this work especially with the universal L bracket you describe.

thanks!

Ellis Vener

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:43 pm »

Not Rod but here goes:
Did  you  have a camera or lens mounted on the head when you tried 2A, B & C ? If not that could be the problem.

tm3

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

thanks, ellis.  mounting a camera on the head decreases the amount of force required for sure.  however, the ballhead action is still pretty stiff and jerky, with a fair amount of force needed to move into the drop slot for portrait mode.

i'm not sure if there is something out of adjustment with this particular head or if it needs to "wear in" for a while to smoothen up (i heard that can be the case with RRS ballheads).

Ellis Vener

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »

Frankly I've been using mine long enough to not remember how smooth the action was at first  but I believe I was impressed with the smoothness of the movements. You might want to return it and purchase from another vendor. How large a camera/lens combo are you using? I am generally working with reasonably large cameras like 1Ds series bodies and lenses up to 70-200mm and down to the 17mm TS-E ( Nikon equivs: D3 series and 14-24mm f/2.8G) .

tm3

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 09:20:38 am »

i am using light equipment, relatively speaking (D40 and small zooms, moving into micro 4/3).

might be worth trying another sample, as i like the concept and the locking ring instead of a knob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up