Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS X Lion (10.7) and Epson Printers  (Read 3733 times)

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
Mac OS X Lion (10.7) and Epson Printers
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

For those who will be using Lion with Epson printers, thought this link would be of assistance and help answer some of the questions asked in a previous thread.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supportLion.jsp

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Mac OS X Lion (10.7) and Epson Printers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

Dano.. can this be downloaded/installed before we upgrade to Lion... or should we wait?
Mike Guilbault

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:01 am »

Note that in this process through Epson, for many printers it will state

"Note: Mac OS X 10.6 drivers are compatible with Mac OS X 10.7"

According to this, many epson printers should continue to work just fine under Lion with any changes or printer driver installations.  Currently in the process of installing Lion on a test machine, so we'll see.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:24 am »

Lion now running on test partition of my 12core MacPro.  Installed over cloned copy of my previous main drive with no real precautions.  (funny, just self corrected my typos).

Printed to my 3800 from Lightroom and CS5 with no issues at all immediately after the update to Lion.  A few interface changes ,nothing major, but perfect prints.  I did not have to install any updates from Epson.

I know many have been concerned and I'm sure there will be some Rosetta issues for some, but as far as straight printing, Apple dramatically changed the core processes for the printing pipeline beginning in leopard and continuing in Snow Leopard causing many issues.  I don't think there are any major under the hood changes to the printing pipeline in Lion so this doesn't appear to be anything like the leopard/snow leopard upgrades ... I'll know more when I try printing a few targets and making profiles over the next couple of days.

feethea

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »

Wayne,

Nice to know and thanks for posting. I'm currently installing Lion on my MacBook Pro as a test before taking the plunge and installing on my Mac Pro.

Barry

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »

Lion now running on test partition of my 12core MacPro.  Installed over cloned copy of my previous main drive with no real precautions.  (funny, just self corrected my typos).

Printed to my 3800 from Lightroom and CS5 with no issues at all immediately after the update to Lion.  A few interface changes ,nothing major, but perfect prints.  I did not have to install any updates from Epson.

I know many have been concerned and I'm sure there will be some Rosetta issues for some, but as far as straight printing, Apple dramatically changed the core processes for the printing pipeline beginning in leopard and continuing in Snow Leopard causing many issues.  I don't think there are any major under the hood changes to the printing pipeline in Lion so this doesn't appear to be anything like the leopard/snow leopard upgrades ... I'll know more when I try printing a few targets and making profiles over the next couple of days.
Wayne, that's very encouraging. Please keep us informed about progress: I for one will be very interested. I have other reasons not to upgrade just yet (a database on which I'm dependent needs to be updated to a non-ppc version, which is quite a lot of work) but I'm keen to do so as soon as possible and worry about printing was one reason to delay. We need pioneers!

Jeremy

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:59:38 am »

Now have printed to 3880 and 11880 with no problems.  Testing i1Profiler with i1iO table (worried about the dongle, it's broke on new system software installs before) over the weekend. (3 day weekend here in Utah)   Only issue so far is ColorThink Pro is not compatible, but the beta version from them seems to be working fine.  Worked extensively with CS5, LRv3, and C1v6, also done quite a bit of file copying and backing up.  Driver for my eSata card broke again, but patch has been available for some time, so after than my external drives running fine.

Haven't run into any other compatibility problems yet, one program I use called camouflage (hides the desktop) was flagged on the install as incompatible still works .. a couple of visual issues but it isn't a Rosetta issue. 

My son-in-law says his macbook pro seems to have some issues with Lion, running slow and crashed a couple of times. He's a programmer so he uses  different software than I do.

Pretty comfortable with Lion, so now running on laptop (after a  full cloned backup just in case).
Pages: [1]   Go Up