Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I continue to use Spectraview for 26WUXI with my new Laptop?  (Read 4233 times)

One Frame at a Time

Hi,

I just upgraded my old tower system to a fast laptop (pc).  It only has minidisplay port or HDMI to drive my NEC Spectraview monitor.  Has anyone succeeded in getting spectraview to work with either of these two outputs??  I have a Mini-display Port to DVI cable that drives the monitor just fine.  Problem is that the cable is apparently only "one way" and spectraview cannot communicate with the monitor in "two way" fashion as needed by the software. 

Is there a workaround or two way cable or adapter available?  Would mini-display port to VGA cable support 2 Way communication?   I can use mini hdmi as an output too....
Any and all suggestions are welcome as I am unable to make use of my calibration software.  NEC has not been much help.  Thanks!

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
Re: Can I continue to use Spectraview for 26WUXI with my new Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:24:31 pm »

It is not the video cable that is "one way" but rather the video chipset in your laptop which may not support the correct communications. PC laptops are notorious for not correctly implementing this, however without knowing the make model, and video chipset manufacturer and model it is hard to say.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »

Will,

Its a Dell XPS system w i7 processor, and Radeon 435M 2gig graphics chipset.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Outputs are limited to mini HDMI and mini display port.  Thanks!

stretchdcanvas

CAUTION: combining a Dell XPS with Spectraview could EXPLODE!...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »

... but more than likely it will work fine after a little fiddling.

I never make the same mistake twice.
I make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure.

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:21 am »

yes this is a known issue Dell will not deal with. I have the same issue.

The video card with display port only allow one way traffic. And Nvidia have done nothing to correct it...last i checked.

The reply i got from
Will Hollingworth
Sr. Product Development Manager

Bradley

OK so the problem is there is no communications to the display. This is caused by the video chipset / notebook not supporting it. Unfortunately there is not really much that can be done in this situation since it is up to Nvidia and Dell to correct their support. We have informed Nvidia directly of problems similar to this on Dell notebooks in the past, but there seems to be some hardware limitations also.

Other than keep checking with Nvidia and Dell for updates, there is really not much that can be done directly.

You can always calibrate the display on another PC as long as you are using DVI and not analog.

Best regards

Will

WillH

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »

Just in case the communications on your laptop is done through the Intel core and not the ATI chipset, you may want to try installing the latest "MultiProfiler" version 1.0.05 here:

http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/multi-profiler/downloads

This software will *not* work with your LCD2690, however it will install a newer file that supports communications on Intel "core graphics" systems. That  *may* get communications working on your system.

Failing that I would:

1. Try a mini-HDMI to DVI cable if you have one.
or
2. Try an *active* miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter. The following product is the best bet and we have had success with the DisplayPort version of the same adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-006B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZXA/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Will Hollingworth

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:52 pm »

Thanks guys!  Will, thanks for the heads up on the software and the adapter.  I'll post back my outcome if one or the other work.  Fingers Crossed!

Paul

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:11:31 pm »

Tried the software Will provided and it did not help.  Spectraview cannot see the monitor.   If all else fails, I have a working copy of Eye 1 Match 3.  I could calibrate without spectraview.  How much better will the native NEC software calibrate the monitor?

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 02:33:18 pm »

Almost there but still not calibrating.  I got a Display Port to VGA adapter.  I now have two way communication with my Monitor.  All the communication tests are working.  The serial number of the display is read by Spectraview.  Only problem is that the software will not get past 29%.  No progress is made when the White Point adjustment is displayed.  It seems like the software crashes here. 

I went and adjusted the Nvidia driver software from "Allow Other Programs to control Color and Video" - to: "Allow Nvidia" to control colors, leaving all the defaults as is.  Still no luck.  I have tried multiple times to restart the calibration.  Uninstalled and re installed the Spectraview software.  No luck.

I'm so close!  I have two way communication from my Display Port.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

Paul

WillH

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Did you get a DisplayPort to VGA or DVI adapter, and specifically which one? VGA will be analog so you won't be able to make the best use of the display's capabilities anyway so I would not recommend that at all, even if it did work correctly.
Will Hollingworth

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »

Hi Will, yes, I ordered it today.  I'll post my result when I get it.  I'm hopeful since I did get 2 way communication with the port even if it was VGA...  Thanks again for your assistance.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:08:22 pm »

Got the adapter today.  It came with a migraine headache....  When I connect via the Accel Adapter and the DVi-D cable I can only get  1280 x 720 resolution.  I went in and tried to customize the setting in the Nvidia Control panel.
It will let me drive at 1200 x 1920 so all the screens / images are squished, stretched and distorted.  It says 1920 x 1200 is not supported by my monitor...  ugh!!  Spectra view does not detect the monitor.  I was better off with the Display Port to VGA set up.

Will, if you can help, please make a suggestion.  Thanks!

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:13:59 pm »

Another day, another adapter......Success!  My wife had a HDMI to DVI-I adapter laying around.  Instant success.  I got 1920x1200 resolution upon start up and was able to calibrate with Spectraview.  I'm running with a HDMI cable from my notebook to the Adapter connected to the monitor.  Turns out, that I did not have the correct DVI cable for the Displayport to DVI adapter as explained below:  

I learned several things worth noting.  All DVI cable are not the same.  Besides there being two formats:  DVI-D and DVI-I there are two different versions of each.  Single link or Dual link.  Its possible to tell them apart on the male side.  Not on the female side!  Single Link is missing some pins.  The difference is critical, as  Single Link cables will NOT support 1920x1200 resolution.  (note: this is not referring to dual monitor connections that are confusingly referred to as "dual link" also)  Hope this helps others here on the forum get their notebooks configured.

Paul  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:32:29 pm by One Frame at a Time »
Pages: [1]   Go Up