Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7900/Harman by Hahnemuhle Canvas cut sheet 8.5x11 Loading Problem  (Read 3090 times)

WPalank

• William Palank Photography

I've used the Forum search as well as using google and I seem to be the only one in the world having a problem. I have the printer set for cut sheet (not roll). I've tried changing the paper types and platen gap and the rollers will not pick up this paper. I've tried about 30 times. Anyone, have a solution?

Just did a couple prints loading 8.5 x 11 Baryta, no problems. Thanks in advance.

JohnTodd

Re: 7900/Harman by Hahnemuhle Canvas cut sheet 8.5x11 Loading Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »

William,

The difference in printers might be too great for my experience to be of use, but I have had trouble feeding canvas and other thick media through an Epson R1900. A tip which worked well was that, if the Epson printer driver is popping up on screen to complain of a jam or feed failure, do not 'okay' the warning message: go to the print queue and 'pause' the print job. On my printer, the printer clatters for 15-20 seconds before settling down and going quiet. Un-pausing the print job at this point will often cause the print job to continue normally.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

Should work with a paper leader taped to the leading edge. Just make sure to do a custom paper size with the proper border so you do not print on the leader.
 At least my 7900 will take it that way. I think the canvas just has too rough on an edge to be accepted as is.
Someone else may chime in with a better solution.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:03:46 pm by Dan Berg »

fetish

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »

Platen gap is only for the print head's height clearance. and loading canvas cutsheets using normal methods fail 80% of the time due to the flaky edge.

Personally I stopped using the leading paper sheet method because I didnt like the idea of glues or tapes going anywhere near the printhead, and the fact that you have to manually set margins or paper sizes in the control panel according to how much leading paper you stick onto the canvas.

When I load canvas cutsheets to do color tests I normally select cut sheet mode, release the clamp, and load the cut sheet like I would for roll paper. The suction should come on once the canvas enters the printing zone and you can reposition the sheet. Once the clamp is re-engaged, the printer will detect the sheet and spool it to the correct position for a cutsheet.

Some might find this method inaccurate because an A4 cutsheet loaded this way is too small to reach either of the paper alignment markings on the top or bottom of the printing area, thus for me I used a marker to draw my own alignment marks on the printer itself in places where it matters (usually just the small stretch of metal between the paper roll cover and where the paper disappears into the printing area.

Hope that helps.

WPalank

• William Palank Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »

Thanks all for your replies.

John unfortunately the 7900 necessitates clearing the error message on the mini lcd by hitting "job cancel". Nice thought though.

Dan, I think I might have found the method you are referring to on Google. Like fetish, I'm nervous about the tape getting unstuck form the paper and then re-sticking inside the machine. I did ask for solutions and you gave me one, thanks.

Fetish, will try your method, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up