Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A 6x6 sensor, with a darkslide to boot!  (Read 3421 times)

DanielStone

A 6x6 sensor, with a darkslide to boot!
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »

Hey all,

just saw this on e-prey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dicomed-BigShot-6x6-Digital-Back-Hasselblad-/190552014629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5dc8ff25

It got me thinking why other DB manufacturers haven't implemented a darkslide, or a 6x6 chip into their designs(Rollei/Sinar, Hasselblad)?

If a company could do it back in the mid/late 90's, why not now?

I've just migrated to a Hassy kit(to supplement my 4x5 and 8x10 work), but just for kicks, have been pricing out a possible digital solution 2-3 generations down the road, when it becomes somewhat "affordable".

-Dan

p.s. I have no affiliation with the seller, just a humble messenger

DavidP

• papas.com
Re: A 6x6 sensor, with a darkslide to boot!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »

I used to work with one of these, they had a one shot and 3 shot version. The one shot had a lot of moire and color issues. the 3 shot actually worked pretty well and it was nice to have that big sensor. But those things are dinosaurs now. SCSI cable to the computer. I still have a couple of shots I use in my portfolio that I did with it. There was no UV filter or glass on the sensor, so it was very difficult or impossible to clean. and occasionally you would have to run a special calibration on it to map out dying pixels. Pretty exciting technology in 1999 though. Also they were not quite 6x6, there was this big black border included in the file.
The 3 shot version did shoot really nice black and white in single shot mode too.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Re: A 6x6 sensor, with a darkslide to boot!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:11 pm »

It got me thinking why other DB manufacturers haven't implemented a darkslide, or a 6x6 chip into their designs(Rollei/Sinar, Hasselblad)?

Size of sensor pends on cost vs. number units sold. Most shooters use 645 cameras for digital backs due that is what is market provides most of (regrettably). Current the best compromise for a 6x6 camera is perhaps Aptus-II/Afi-II 12 with rotating sensors for the Hassy V and Hy6 platforms.

Darkslide? There is not much space for it within the digital back, due the required sensor to back's flange distance. On other hand... for technical cameras one would think it would be possible and ideal!!! Alpa, Arca, Cambo???  :)

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:06:18 pm by Anders_HK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up