Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Rolleiflex 6000 system an ugly duck?  (Read 2515 times)

Paulo Pires

Is the Rolleiflex 6000 system an ugly duck?
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

First of all please forgive me for my poor English.

I'm not trying to start a war between Hassel and Rolleiflex users but this is a question that came into my mind in the last few weeks.

When trying to sell my Rolleiflex 6006 system I got so few answers and so few views in my thread I found it odd.
All the sudden a Hasselblad thread appears and it gets almost immediately hundreds of views and answers.

IMMO, the Rolleiflex 6000 system is as good as any Hasselblad system.
Both use awesome Zeiss lenses. Both are top of the line 6x6 film cameras.
So... why? Why doesn't the Rolleflex get as much appreciation as Hassel?

The Rolleiflex is a big and heavy camera. Is that it?
The Rolleiflex uses electronics. Is that it? Not pure enough?

When it comes down to the pictures, to what really matters, both are equal in the quality they deliver to the photographer.

So why do you think Hasselblad systems are much more appreciated? Name? Fame? Tradition? History?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Is the Rolleiflex 6000 system an ugly duck?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »

I had a rollei 6008 integral listed too with no real interest except for the digital back adapters.  I think the issue is more this is a digital centric forum and world and its difficult to sell film cameras. The 6006 is a great camera, no worry there.
Rolleiflex USA

Paulo Pires

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

Yes Eric you have a point but this happened to me in Photo Net and some other Portuguese film photography forums.
Even inside the Rolleiflex collection, the SL system and the 2.8 are much more famous. I had both and the 6000 system equals any.

This is not an angry post or nothing like that. :)
Just curious about it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

stevegalle

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:31:11 am »

I have a modest 6008i system. I'm happy with what I have, happy enough in fact that I am in the process of acquiring a 6008AF. If I have reservations they are service and spares. Repair options are hideously limited (at least in the US); many places that would gladly tune up a Hassie or an SL won't touch a 6008. Also, it is so much more dependent on a battery that doesn't really last all that long. Anyway, those are my guesses. I love it anyway. But, it makes me nervous. More nervous than a 503 would, I think.

Steve

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:02 am »

Hi,

I guess that is because Hasselblad is the big fish in the pond, they are like Canon in DSLRs.

Best regards
Erik

First of all please forgive me for my poor English.

I'm not trying to start a war between Hassel and Rolleiflex users but this is a question that came into my mind in the last few weeks.

When trying to sell my Rolleiflex 6006 system I got so few answers and so few views in my thread I found it odd.
All the sudden a Hasselblad thread appears and it gets almost immediately hundreds of views and answers.

IMMO, the Rolleiflex 6000 system is as good as any Hasselblad system.
Both use awesome Zeiss lenses. Both are top of the line 6x6 film cameras.
So... why? Why doesn't the Rolleflex get as much appreciation as Hassel?

The Rolleiflex is a big and heavy camera. Is that it?
The Rolleiflex uses electronics. Is that it? Not pure enough?

When it comes down to the pictures, to what really matters, both are equal in the quality they deliver to the photographer.

So why do you think Hasselblad systems are much more appreciated? Name? Fame? Tradition? History?

Erik Kaffehr

Paulo Pires

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:08:16 am »

I have a modest 6008i system. I'm happy with what I have, happy enough in fact that I am in the process of acquiring a 6008AF. If I have reservations they are service and spares. Repair options are hideously limited (at least in the US); many places that would gladly tune up a Hassie or an SL won't touch a 6008. Also, it is so much more dependent on a battery that doesn't really last all that long. Anyway, those are my guesses. I love it anyway. But, it makes me nervous. More nervous than a 503 would, I think.

Steve

When I got the 6006 it didn't came with a charger and they are hard to find even on Ebay. I wrote Rollei Germany and email and they told me they are still providing assistance to every Rollei camera manufactured by the brand. I guess sending a heavy camera from the US to Germany is expensive but at least I can give you a little piece of mind about that. :)
It's far but someone can take care of the Rolleis :)

Paulo Pires

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:10:33 am »

@ Erik

Yes they are ;) and the way they keep on thinking their strategy is amazing. Even an old Hassel can take newer lenses and finders and backs... for the professional photographer the range of available choices gear wise it's clearly above Rollei.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »

Hi,

The way I see it, if you happen to have any camera that works for you there is no need to switch to an another one.

Is Rollei (or Frank & Heidecke) still around as a vendor?

Another point is that regarding wide angles it's better to have a system that has been built around a format of the same size as the digital back and those tend to be 645 or smaller.

Best regards
Erik

@ Erik

Yes they are ;) and the way they keep on thinking their strategy is amazing. Even an old Hassel can take newer lenses and finders and backs... for the professional photographer the range of available choices gear wise it's clearly above Rollei.
Erik Kaffehr

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »

Yes, but now as DHW (no more Frank & Heidecke, but same people apparent and same building)
http://dhw-fototechnik.com/
more info can be found here http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/

The Hy6 is an interesting chapter with an unfortunate history. So far I am impressed by the Hy6 and on basis of one lens the 80mm Xenotar AFD it is a camera and system that seem far better than what I experienced Mamiya.

If we look aside from market and business and only on camera and system, the Hy6 seem as the best camera body out there for digital back (plate cameras such as Alpa, Arca, Cambo etc are of course a complete different type). The Hassy V is too old, the Hassy H is a 645 and closed system, Mamiya 645 is too clunky... and Hy6 and all lenses for the system are seemingly of quality and character, and made in Germany. The lenses are perhaps better than Hassy V, also because there are top Schneider lenses alongside Carl Zeiss.

So is it an ugly duck? If anything because of an unfortunate history, not due lack of quality or capability. Rights to Hy6 apparent are with Leaf, thus essentially Phase One. It seems with the qualities of the system it sort of begs to be picked up an marketed... Meanwhile Phase-Mamiya are assembling new Schneider glass in Japan. One may wonder why recreate a wheel instead of using one that is already run and can roll smooth if driven such? The Rollei lenses smells quality and character. What will happen? Hy6 does seem as good opportunity for an alternative camera to Phase DF... Phase? Leaf?

Actually the Hy6 seem as what a modern version of Hassy V could have been... kinda interesting :)

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:41:59 pm by Anders_HK »

Paulo Pires

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:58 am »

Hi,

The way I see it, if you happen to have any camera that works for you there is no need to switch to an another one.

Another point is that regarding wide angles it's better to have a system that has been built around a format of the same size as the digital back and those tend to be 645 or smaller.

Best regards
Erik

Oh yes Erik I got the charger for the Rollei from them "DHW Fototechnik" and they told me that they provide assistance for Rollei cameras.

Pages: [1]   Go Up