Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment preparation: before or after?  (Read 1269 times)

dreed

Equipment preparation: before or after?
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »

Some time ago, Alain Briot(?) wrote an article that was entitled preparing for your photographic expedition. Some of the usual tips included location research, planning the trip and ensuring that your equipment is properly cleaned and readied.

It is the last part that has made me stop and think: isn't it better to do the cleaning of equipment when I return (rather than before I go), so that I'm always in a position where I can go if something random pops up?

Same with batteries. Rather than wait until before you leave, isn't it better to recharge them as soon as you are again capable?

Gary Brown

Re: Equipment preparation: before or after?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:52:37 pm »

It is the last part that has made me stop and think: isn't it better to do the cleaning of equipment when I return (rather than before I go), so that I'm always in a position where I can go if something random pops up?

FWIW, Thom Hogan's “Shot Discipline” essay says:

“I clean the sensor once just before going out on a big shoot, then only after that when I notice that I have dust spots that are objectionable. But if you were going for truly optimal, you'd clean the sensor just before each day's shoot (not at the end of the previous day, as the camera is likely still warm and you want any dust in the chamber to settle before cleaning).”

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »

When I get back to the office I recharge any batteries that need it, make sure that all cameras and flashes have fresh batteries, and do any necessary cleaning of gear. I'm usually pretty good about repacking, but I'll check to make sure everything is where it should be in all the cases and bags. Once all the batteries are recharged, I'll replace them in their proper cases.

One thing I always forget to do is to "zero" the camera -- reset it to a good base setting, say ISO 100, Aperture priority, f/5.6 (for example.) I am forever getting to location, grabbing a camera, and finding it set to some ridiculous ISO, or on manual at 1/200 at f/9, or whatever. Not ideal most of the time, especially when I see some great grab shot and then miss it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:24 am »

Hi,

Keep your stuff always in trim and checks sensor before anything important.

Stop down to f/22 (or f/32) defocus and take a picture of the sky. Zoom in moderately on the LCD and scan over the full image. If you don't see dust you'll probably not have any problem.

I usually only clean the sensor when necessary.

Best regards
Erik

Some time ago, Alain Briot(?) wrote an article that was entitled preparing for your photographic expedition. Some of the usual tips included location research, planning the trip and ensuring that your equipment is properly cleaned and readied.

Same with batteries. Rather than wait until before you leave, isn't it better to recharge them as soon as you are again capable?
Erik Kaffehr

schrodingerscat

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »

Both -

Depending on circumstances. If you perform due diligence afterwards, not much more than a quick sensor clean before. If you have room for a decent hand blower and soft toothbrush in your kit, it's a good idea to do a good cleaning at the end of the day when in the field. Give everything a good external going over with the brush, then clean the glass and sensor.  Most problems seem to be compounded by a gradual build up between cleanings.

The sensor generates heat while it's working. The bigger the sensor, the more heat. I've had a few come in that were practically uncleanable, and the general consensus among techs is that stuff is getting cooked on the IR filter. If the camera goes through a series of moist/dry conditions, anything getting on the filter starts layering. The more the layers, the harder it is to clean it off.

By staying on top of it, you can pretty much keep it clean with just a good blower like the Giotto Rocket. I try and steer folks away from anything that comes in physical contact with the filter. Have seen some badly mucked up cameras, and a couple where the filter was destroyed, by improper cleaning. Sometimes there's no choice, but be careful. I recommend the Eclipse/Sensor Swabs products.

And try and keep Q-tips out of the mirror box. The fuzz is difficult to remove and gets into everything. Also avoid trying to clean the focus screen with anything but air(NO canned air or compressors should be used on camera gear). There's a site out there advising people to clean the screen with a micro fiber cloth. Had two customers in the last week who were not too happy with the results and subsequent cost of replacing the screen. These sorts of sites have become good revenue generators for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up