Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape in Motion  (Read 1108 times)

Rob C

Landscape in Motion
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:34:48 am »

As will probably have been noted, I'm not that impressed by much landscape work, though I do enjoy looking at some of it and, shoosh! - even own such a book!

However, last night I tuned into BBC4 by chance, just to see what was on - if anything - and came across an interview with Dave Davies of the Kinks. I found the sound a little difficult, possibly either my ears or his diction, but the moor landscape was ravishingly beautiful. It may be a function of the new tv set (one of those wide things) or purely the photography, but I have to say that the visuals were magnificent.

It came to me that perhaps the most impressive way of presenting the landscape is, in fact, via motion, with slow pans and then held shots of parts. Whatever the technical reasons, the images were out of this world.

Perhaps that's what drives current exponents of the art? The sight of their work on the monitor is so seductive that the final print isn't seen objectively enough? Or would that work the other way around, in fact? I simply couldn't imagine any of the stuff in that tv production working anywhere near as well in b/w. Still didn't see it as 'creative' but certainly very much as excellent and skillful photography of what's there under specific atmospheric circumstances. (Have to be every careful what I write on this latter point ;-) )

Did anyone else catch the show?

Rob C

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Landscape in Motion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:49:03 am »

Did anyone else catch the show?
Yes. I was impressed too. Some nice framing, smooth developments, all given plenty of time to be appreciated, well exposed and no nasty post production.
A great example of how good television can be, probably even better if it had been transmitted in it's native HD too.

BBC4 has become the home of intelligent, educated TV now.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up