Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singh-Ray ND as Polarizer.  (Read 1925 times)

ucs308

Singh-Ray ND as Polarizer.
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:25:00 pm »

Not sure if this is the right forum, please feel free to redirect if am in the wrong place.

The short version of a long story...I have a job I am preping for. I am away from my studio trying to get the parts I need to together.. I need to polarize lights and camera for a project coming up. I don't have a polarizer for the my current macro lens and wondered if in a pinch the Singh-Ray ND (I already own) would work. I am trying to reduce the glare from a very shiney surface. I thought I read somewhere the Sing-Ray ND is essentially two back-to-back polarizers.

Thanks-in advance.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Singh-Ray ND as Polarizer.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »

You're thinking of their Vari-ND, which is two polarizers stuck together. A regular ND filter is just neutral density and has no effect on polarization.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »

I would think if you set the Singh-Ray vari ND to filter to it's brightest setting, you'll see effects of a polarizer.  It will be twice as dense so you're losing a lot more light, but it might work in a pinch.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

Just thought I'd add a note to this.  Singh-Ray now sells a Vari-N-Duo, which is basically their variND filter with an additional rotation point behind the two rotating glass elements, which "adds" a polarizer.  I saw one of these last night in a workshop we  held, and all it adds is the ability to freely rotate the two glass elements, indicating using this as a  polarizer definitely works.  If you don't have this duo version, you would have to unscrew the filter to rotate it, but certainly would work as a polarizer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up