Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the parade  (Read 1998 times)

candide

Watching the parade
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

Here's one I took on July 4th in Calistoga, CA. Comments appreciated.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Watching the parade
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »

Candide, It's a good shot but it'd be a better one if we could see at least some of what the group is watching. Sometimes in a shot like this that isn't necessary, but since no one in the group is registering horror, unusual stupidity, or anything else that makes the faces interesting in themselves, this time it is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 04:49:06 am »

Candide, It's a good shot but it'd be a better one if we could see at least some of what the group is watching. Sometimes in a shot like this that isn't necessary, but since no one in the group is registering horror, unusual stupidity, or anything else that makes the faces interesting in themselves, this time it is.

Love that!

Russ, I wish you wrote here a little more often and at length.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:57:30 am »

Sort of like the image; nobody getting hurt, nobody looking unhappy and lots of patriotic nonsense to boot.

The little lady with the hat reminds me of Dreams of Young Girls, the David Hamilton book that opened my eyes to his photography. Later, I came to feel sorry that he had this urge to use models that are, for my tastes, far too young; took his oeuvre into murky waters that I'd rather not paddle.

Also, the shot looks such a natural for b/w that I can hardly imagine it any other way.

Very nice shooting.

Rob C

candide

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:35:29 am »

Sort of like the image; nobody getting hurt, nobody looking unhappy and lots of patriotic nonsense to boot.

The little lady with the hat reminds me of Dreams of Young Girls, the David Hamilton book that opened my eyes to his photography. Later, I came to feel sorry that he had this urge to use models that are, for my tastes, far too young; took his oeuvre into murky waters that I'd rather not paddle.

Also, the shot looks such a natural for b/w that I can hardly imagine it any other way.

Very nice shooting.

Rob C

Thanks, Rob. The girl in the hat is what I like about it. I like the line of her arm reaching across the frame. But I also think Russ had a point. I would have liked to show the parade they were watching in the shot, but as the spectators were in shade and the parade was happening in blazing noonday sun it just wasn't possible to compose for that and get a good looking exposure. Thank you both for your comments.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:05 pm »

Thing is, had you included the 'spectacle' then it would have been an altogether other photograph. This shot is about people watching, not about what they might be watching. If anything, that makes it more interesting to me. There are several HC-B shots in his book À Propos de Paris where I have no idea about what's going down; but it doesn't matter: the image he took is enough!

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52:03 pm »

Candide, I like the girl in the hat too. In fact I like the combination of the two girls. I'd actually be tempted to cr*p, but the posts are too close to the kids for a cr*p to work.

I've often run into situations like this where there's a parade going on and because of the dynamic range or the angle you have to choose between the parade and the watchers. Parades rarely are interesting but the watchers often are, as in this one:
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up