Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus with dSLRs vs. Lightroom  (Read 3326 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Phocus with dSLRs vs. Lightroom
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »

Hi guys,

I've been looking at Phocus for my D3x landscape images from Moab, and it does pretty well. At least the images look interesting.

Wish I could compare with C1 as a Phase owner, but unfortunately licensing has caught up with me :)

Anyone else here use Phocus with dSLRs?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jonathan.lipkin

Re: Phocus with dSLRs vs. Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »

Personally, I use Lightroom. I'm not a fan of file browsing software in general because of my workflow. If I were to use a file browser, I'd probably use Bridge, as I feel it's much faster.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 05:28:34 pm »

Hi Edmund

Just for your erudition here are two jpegs.  The image was taken as a test of a D3x with a PCE 24 and processed with Capture One and Phocus.  They are crops of a small section of the image.  Not sure which I like but I feel that the blacks are a bit "crunchier" in the C1 version.
David Watson ARPS

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »

Imagine that during the announcement of the first version of Phocus, I came up to assist all files in Phocus (Canon, Nikon). Unfortunately, the boys then said that this sick idea. That it is hardly possible that a lot of work and so I wrote that it would be a great tool and in addition free ... Well my prophetic ideas came into force :D  I use the files from Canon and Nikon. It works really fast. For example, Nikon D3x files faster than in Capture NX. And it's free :)
Best regards,
DF

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »

Hi,
    The way that Phocus has enabled raw development of DSLR formats, is to utilize the MAC OSX core image API, so the raw engine is the same one as Aperture, and by extension iPhoto. Not saying that is bad, just how they did it, so perhaps Aperture should be included in the discussion.

Cheers.

Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:35 am »

The C1 version is much much better. But then one enters the world of parameters ....

Edmund

Hi Edmund

Just for your erudition here are two jpegs.  The image was taken as a test of a D3x with a PCE 24 and processed with Capture One and Phocus.  They are crops of a small section of the image.  Not sure which I like but I feel that the blacks are a bit "crunchier" in the C1 version.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:12:52 pm »

I have to say that I agree.  I have always used C1 for my Nikon files and liked the result - although I do find it a bit "crunchy" as I said before.  Never really used Phocus for anything other than Hasselblad files so this  was an experiment following your question.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:34:04 am by David Watson »
David Watson ARPS
Pages: [1]   Go Up