Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: which mfdb for long exposures ? seascape photography  (Read 6224 times)

cooplixphotography

Re: which mfdb for long exposures ? seascape photography
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:47 am »

OP: Are you able to set up your photographs during the day/early evening? This way, you'd have more light to accurately compose/frame your photograph.

>> Yes that's what I do. It may be cold at the North sea in Belgium at night ;) I usually try to shoot around 7am or as of 7pm

A Toyo 45A/II, or a Technika IV/V w/ 1-2 lenses can be a very versatile, "lightweight", super high quality option. Just FYI, a friend just purchased a Toyo 45AII, with 3 modern Rodenstock lenses for under $1500. He got a 90mm Grandagon(superb WA), 150mm APO-Sironar S, and a 210mm APO-Sironar S. Combine this with a lighter aluminum tripod from Gitzo or Manfrotto, maybe with a 10lb sandbag(like a "Boa" bag, steel shot rather than sand, so its smaller size-wise), and you've got a very steady platform for shooting from.

>> It indeed looks a nice cam. But as I have no experience with view camera, I find it a little bit intimidating.  Also when you read Michael experience comparing film to MFDB, I think he wouldn't go back !
However, the cost of a Toyo is a clear advantage.

-Get the film processed by Samy's in Santa Barbara(E-6 is $1.70/sheet for 4x5, can't remember B+W pricing). I use their services for 4x5 and 8x10 E-6/C-41, and I've never had a problem with them. They happily do mail order, that's how I send to them.

>> A live in Belgium and we do not have all the choices here when it comes to scanning.  I once scanned an Ektar 25 neg (shot on Mamiya 645). The lab used a high end flatbed scanner (scitex eversmart). I don't know how it compares to drum scanner. The results were quite okay. I printed up to 120x160cm & it was impressive.

-Scanning(if you're in the USA): You have LOTS of options for people. James Beck  http://www.jamesbeckdigital.com/jbdscans/drumscan.html  , Lenny Eiger  http://www.eigerphoto.com/services_technology_ep.php, and many other independent people offer super high-quality drum scans. I mention the above two, since I've used both of them for scans, and have ALWAYS been very happy with their services.

>> So the cost for a sheet film here is 16 eur /4x5 sheet (tmax 100) + 50 eur for a 300Mb 16 bit scan + Going back and forth to the lab. It's about 70 eur OPEX per click+scan. That's what makes me a little bit uncomfortable. The delta between a Toyo + lenses (1500 eur) and a combo P45+ (13500 eur) would be about 12000 eur or 171 clicks (12000 /70). From this point of view, The cost of the Phaseone is relative.
I've started recently to exhibit some of my work. I've been selling some 120cmx120cm the first day. I still need to sell an additionnal 10 to 20 prints to justify an eventual Phase One p45+ purchase !

Lastly, I've found that when shooting with the larger view-camera, I tend to be more "choosy" with my photographs taken. I can shoot digital if I want(5d II), but I find myself using my 8x10, 4x5, or sometimes the Hassy kit to shoot long(ish) exposures.

>> I can understand this. Maybe I should try again my Pentax 67II besides a rented p45+ a make some tests.  A good 6x7 negative has also room for enlargements up to 100x100cm if not more.

To me, the whole P1 "dark frame" can be limiting, especially if you have 5min+ exposure times, and would like to photograph multiple angles(or scenes) in a single evening. To me, this is more limiting than hefting another 15lbs of kit from the car into the field, or loading up some film holders in the darkened bathroom before heading out. Just sayin

>> The I should buy 2x P45+ to avoid waiting ;-)

Thanks for your advice

-Dan

Nikon d3x - Nikon d7000 - pentax 67ii
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up