Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler luminance and whitepoint reading  (Read 9366 times)

Jalok

i1Profiler luminance and whitepoint reading
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:44:02 am »

Since the v1.1.1 release I decided to try i1Profiler again to check the new display profiling features. Its luminance reading is lower than what I get from basICColor and ProfileMaker, leading me to profile an overbright calibrated monitor. For example, whatbasICColor/PM read as 140cd/m2, i1P reads 125-128cd. Does anyone have experienced the same problem? Also, is it possible to manually set the whitepoint (through the monitor RGB controls) within i1Profiler? The ADC feature does not work well, at least with the monitors I have, giving me average profiles and unacceptable whitepoint mismatch between them.

Besides these problems, i1Profiler give me great monitor profiles if I previously set whitepoint using another software and compensate the i1Pro luminance target with a -10 to -20 bias.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: i1Profiler luminance and whitepoint reading
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »

I had the same observations, so simply stopped using the bastard.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »

I can confirm that as well. Using an Eye One Pro, 110 cd/m^2 read via Spectraview II, BasICColor Display, and Color Eyes Display Pro is measured as 100 cd/m^2 using i1Profiler. There are a number of other bugs as well. Fortunately it seems that they have fixed the issue with gamut volume getting squashed when luminance is adjusted in the video LUT however... the implementation of DDC (why they call it ADC is beyond me... it's DDC) is just wrong and the ability to override it and select whether or not you want to use it is controlled by... wait for it.... your white point setting which is controlled on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCREEN!!!!! ?????????  ;D :D :o

An example of why this is bad... when connected to an HP LP3065, with i1Profiler set to native for white point, when you begin profiling i1Profiler incorrectly identifies the LP3065 as a monitor that supports DDC. It actually does speak some form of DDC, just not a standard protocol that anyone else on the planet speaks and as such any control commands to the monitor fail. While Integrated Color succeeds in detecting a problem, X-Rite fails miserably. As a result it cannot change the luminance and if the luminance is higher than the desired target, X-Rite compensates by adjusting the video LUT. While that is a useful feature to have if you have a monitor that can not hit a useable luminance, it's absolutely a terrible thing to do if you can. It should test the DDC and if after sending a command to change the luminance it does not detect any actual changes, it should fail and then prompt you to manually adjust the luminance. ONLY THEN should it move on to adjust the luminance in the video LUT if the target has not been hit and is still too high.

Give it a bit of time perhaps. It has some great potential but right now in its current state, I wouldn't use it for monitor profiling. Color Eyes Display Pro or BasICColor Display on the non NEC monitors and Sepctraview for the NEC monitors represent much less hassle than i1Profiler in its current state.

Cheers, Joe

Jalok

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »

I had the same observations, so simply stopped using the bastard.

The problem is that it produced the best matching between screen and printed shadows, and the smoothest gradients. Anyway, I discovered basICColor can reach almost the same matching performance if I select gamma 2.2 for tonal response curve in place of the recommended L*.
Pages: [1]   Go Up