Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acknowledging the photographer  (Read 6658 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Acknowledging the photographer
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:14 am »

The Art Gallery of NSW has just opened its new Contemporary Galleries with art collected by John Kaldor and a new photography gallery.

What caught my eye was three artists' photography.

One was Richard Prince's rephotograph of the Marlboro Man, enough said…

The second artist was Willem de Kooning posing as the subject of four photographs, photographer unknown.

The third artist was Tracey Moffatt showing, Up in the sky. As far as I know Tracey directed the actors in the scenes and an unknown photographer took the photographs.

It was just a bit depressing that on the opening of a new photography gallery that the photographers that took the photographs were not acknowledged.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Rob C

Re: Acknowledging the photographer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:13 am »

The Art Gallery of NSW has just opened its new Contemporary Galleries with art collected by John Kaldor and a new photography gallery.

What caught my eye was three artists' photography.

One was Richard Prince's rephotograph of the Marlboro Man, enough said…

The second artist was Willem de Kooning posing as the subject of four photographs, photographer unknown.

The third artist was Tracey Moffatt showing, Up in the sky. As far as I know Tracey directed the actors in the scenes and an unknown photographer took the photographs.

It was just a bit depressing that on the opening of a new photography gallery that the photographers that took the photographs were not acknowledged.

Cheers,

Ummm... what's a photographer?

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Acknowledging the photographer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:39:56 am »

It is interesting how imagery is acknowledged in different media. Cinematography/video seems to be the most egalitarian, why even the person who caters the food gets acknowledged. Art seems to be the least, take printmaking, the master printmaker who makes the prints does not get acknowledged at all. Or in this case the person who has the spin gets the credit.

Cheers,

Tom Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up