Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Clogging Experiences  (Read 23224 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 Clogging Experiences
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:15 am »

The stand is reasonably steady... I used the term 'rickity' more to describe the sound it made... metal on metal.  It does move somewhat, but from what I've heard, not much different from the stands that come with the 7900/9900 printers.  Should it not be moving at all? 

That's right - not moving at all. In the manual they recommend a sturdy support with no vibration.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Shane Webster

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:49 am »

Epson has advised me in the past to run a cleaning cycle, then a print, then if needed another cleaning cycle.

Well, I'll print something, check and clean again I suppose.  I would like this one to work and don't really want to start a collection of printers going back to Epson.  Hopefully, it's more user error than not. . .

Shane Webster

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 10:04:19 am »

I did what you suggested, Mark. . . I printed something (text) and quite obvious the PK was still clogged.  Performed a normal clean--still clogged.  Printed a small print, ran a nozzle check--still clogged, ran another normal clean and all nozzles are clear.

I called Epson to report my experience and was told it was far from normal and they would send me another printer to replace this one, but, of course, the decision is/was mine.  Since it appears all clear for now, I mainly wanted to get the info. in my log and I'll give it a week.  If I find it clogging regularly, I don't think I'll have much of a choice but to call Epson back.

The support tech did tell me that seeing multiple nozzle clogs after a power clean is not that abnormal due to back pressure.  He did, like you Mark, suggest making a small print to release the pressure.  He said no such back pressure is created with a normal clean and making a print between normal cleaning cycles is not needed.  Take it for what's it worth, I suppose.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 10:31:36 am »

Well, you see it was Epson's pro tech support people who advised me to run a print between each REGULAR cleaning for mitigating this problem. But that was on the 4000/4800 models. I'd be surprised if the principles behind it were all that different for the 4900, but who knows - maybe this model dates that advice, or maybe it's just different techs with different experience.

Farmer

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »

I think the latter, Mark.  For my experience, it never hurts to run a print (at least a nozzle check) in between cleans and to give it a few minutes to sit as well.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »

Thanks for confirming Phil. This has always helped me in the past too.

Shane Webster

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:02:04 pm »

I turned the printer on Saturday, printed a nozzle test, all was clear, made a small print and turned the printer off.  Sunday, I turned the printer on, printed a nozzle check, PK was clogged, performed a normal clean, let it sit for a few minutes, made a small print, printed a nozzle check again, PK still clogged, repeated and all was clear.  I called Epson this morning and they're sending another printer.  Hopefully, this one will be THE one.  It's very strange, I've pondered whether it could be environmental but I come back to the fact that my 7880 and 4900 are in the same environment and the 7880, while being behind a generation doesn't have nearly the clogged nozzle issues my 4900s have had. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13:20 pm »

I have no idea whether this is related or not, but I just got an e-mail that Epson now has $1000 instant rebates on the 4900.  This is 40% off by my math and I've not seen this kind of discount before.  Curious.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »

and I just got my $500 rebate cheque a couple weeks ago!  harrumph!
Mike Guilbault

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »

I have no idea whether this is related or not, but I just got an e-mail that Epson now has $1000 instant rebates on the 4900.  This is 40% off by my math and I've not seen this kind of discount before.  Curious.

Perhaps all it means is that they have more printers to sell than are moving. Maybe just a forecasting mishap. Remember the so-called economic recovery that isn't?

Shark_II

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:45 am »

Perhaps all it means is that they have more printers to sell than are moving. Maybe just a forecasting mishap. Remember the so-called economic recovery that isn't?

And maybe it is because their competitors, primarily Canon, are eating their lunch because they have been complacent too long.

Tom

Randy Carone

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

Another possibility is that Epson is having difficulty producing 3880s due to a couple of components affected by the Tsunami/earthquake disaster. This leaves the 4900 as the available Epson 17" printer.
Randy Carone

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:56 am »

Another possibility is that Epson is having difficulty producing 3880s due to a couple of components affected by the Tsunami/earthquake disaster. This leaves the 4900 as the available Epson 17" printer.
You are in the best position to know! :D

rmyers

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 01:01:12 pm »

Maybe they solved the nozzle clogging issue and are trying to sell out the old stock.  Nah.  Only a cynical, conspiracy theory guy would think that.

3880 printers are in stock.  I got one last week.  Seems like the Signature Worthy edition and the other special edition that I can't remember the name of are available as well.

jcp75

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

I have a very similar experience to Shane's, except I was never able to get any good prints.  I received my first 4900 about three weeks ago.  I set it up and found that or and gr were partially clogged and vlm/lc were completely clogged.  Called epson and they ran me thru the cleaning process.  It unclogged or/gr but did nothing for vlm/cl, so they sent me another printer.  Printer #2 arrived with or/gr, llk/y, and vlm/lc completely clogged.  I called epson and they ran me through the cleaning process once again.  No luck, so they sent me another printer.  I am setting it up today.  If this one doesn't work out of the box, I am finished with Epson. 
JOe

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 08:07:26 am »

Hadn't used my 4900 for a couple of weeks because of the holidays and came back to a C / VM clog. Ran a few normal cleans and one power clean and all is good again. I did get some platen marks (I think - reported on a different thread), but an adjustment from Auto to Standard platen gap fixed that.  Other than that - no problems, not much noise and absolutely gorgeous prints. 
Mike Guilbault
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up