Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom with new OS LION  (Read 14939 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Lightroom with new OS LION
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:03 pm »

With the new OS Lion coming out very soon, does anyone have any idea if there will be any problems running Lightroom with this new OS?
If I remember correctly I had some issues when I first upgraded to Snow Leopard.
I also have some plug-ins like Nik Software. I called them this morning and they suggested I hold off upgrading until they post information via their Website.
Anyway I would like to hear what others plan to do when Apple releases Lion.

Stu

francois

Re: Lightroom with new OS LION
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:57 pm »

…Anyway I would like to hear what others plan to do when Apple releases Lion.

Stu
I'll clone my boot drive and upgrade the clone to Lion. I would follow Nik's advice and wait a bit before migrating to Lion.
Francois

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

Roaring Apps has done some testing (I have no idea what that involves) and they say LR works "fine".

http://roaringapps.com/app:191

Waiting a bit after the initial release is always a good idea.

StuartOnline

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »

I received the following this evening from Nik Software concerning their software:

Update on Compatibility with Mac OS X Lion

Apple is expected to release the latest version of Mac OS X, version 10.7 Lion, sometime this month. We've been working with developer release versions and want to notify you that we've found an issue installing some of our plug-ins into Photoshop CS5 after you've updated to Lion.

If you have already installed your Nik Software plug-ins into Photoshop CS5 prior to updating to Lion, the plug-ins will continue to work without issue. There are also no issues installing our plug-ins into Lightroom or Aperture on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion and no issues installing HDR Efex Pro into any host application.

However, the current installers for Dfine 2.0, Viveza 2, Color Efex Pro 3.0, Silver Efex Pro 2, and Sharpener Pro 3.0 are not able to install into Photoshop CS5 on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. This issue will affect both new and re-installations of these plug-ins.

Our engineers have already begun working on a fix for the installers and we intend to start releasing these free updates this month. Each update will be released in succession, starting with Silver Efex Pro 2 and we will notify registered owners via email.

If you do find yourself needing assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our support team. Thank you for your continued support!

The Nik Team

francois

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:26:28 am »

I received the following this evening from Nik Software concerning their software:

Update on Compatibility with Mac OS X Lion

Apple is expected to release the latest version of Mac OS X, version 10.7 Lion, sometime this month. We've been working with developer release versions and want to notify you that we've found an issue installing some of our plug-ins into Photoshop CS5 after you've updated to Lion.

If you have already installed your Nik Software plug-ins into Photoshop CS5 prior to updating to Lion, the plug-ins will continue to work without issue. There are also no issues installing our plug-ins into Lightroom or Aperture on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion and no issues installing HDR Efex Pro into any host application.

However, the current installers for Dfine 2.0, Viveza 2, Color Efex Pro 3.0, Silver Efex Pro 2, and Sharpener Pro 3.0 are not able to install into Photoshop CS5 on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. This issue will affect both new and re-installations of these plug-ins.

Our engineers have already begun working on a fix for the installers and we intend to start releasing these free updates this month. Each update will be released in succession, starting with Silver Efex Pro 2 and we will notify registered owners via email.

If you do find yourself needing assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our support team. Thank you for your continued support!

The Nik Team
Thanks for sharing the info about Nik's products. Personally, as I wrote above, I would really go with a clone of your working HD. This way, you could test that all your applications are working OK. Minor incompatibilities can make life miserable!
Francois

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:23 am »

Thanks for sharing the info about Nik's products. Personally, as I wrote above, I would really go with a clone of your working HD. This way, you could test that all your applications are working OK. Minor incompatibilities can make life miserable!

Francois

Have aslo heard from OnOne Software which I have a some of their programs.
They informed to me the following:

"It's not 100% ready for Lion yet as there are some known crashes with PhotoFrame and PhotoTools.  With that said, we are aggressively working to get it prepped."

OnOne has also posted information via their Blog:

Important Notice regarding onOne Software and Mac OSX 10.7 Lion
http://www.ononesoftware.com/blog/2011/07/13/read-this-before-you-upgrade-to-mac-os-x-lion/

I just plan to wait until some of the kinks are worked out before I jump into upgrading to Lion.
Had a number of issues when I upgraded to Snow Leopard when it first came out and do not care to go through that again.

Stu

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:40:53 am by StuartOnline »

StuartOnline

Re: Lightroom with new OS LION (APPLICATION COMPATIBILITY) Update
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:53 am »

Looks like Lion will be available today via the Apple App store.

According to Roaring Apps (APPLICATION COMPATIBILITY WIKI FOR MAC OS X LION) Adobe Lightroom has been tested with Lion and will work.
However with that said you should view http://roaringapps.com/apps:table to check if your third party program is compatible with Lion.
I noticed today that if you are still using CS4, that program has not been tested with Lion.
Adobe Acrobat Pro has been test, however it does not work properly.
I would highly advise you view this site http://roaringapps.com/apps:table before updating to Lion.

Stu

francois

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

My worries are centered around printing and external device support like i1 spectro…
Francois

stickan1

• Stig Hammarsten photography
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 06:57:45 am »

Installed Lion this morning, swedish time, on both my machines. No problem, it all went smoothly, takes less than one hour everything included. The machine is a bit slow the first half hour, because it is doing a lot of background job . Tested Lightroom, Silver Efex Pro 2.0 and SpyderPro 3.0, no problems. I have not tried any printing yet. /Stig

francois

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:24 am »

Installed Lion this morning, swedish time, on both my machines. No problem, it all went smoothly, takes less than one hour everything included. The machine is a bit slow the first half hour, because it is doing a lot of background job . Tested Lightroom, Silver Efex Pro 2.0 and SpyderPro 3.0, no problems. I have not tried any printing yet. /Stig
I haven't yet installed Lion on any of my "photography" Macs but on my MacBook I had to reset the printing system before I could print. Not a big problem… I'll try to install Lion on a cloned HD and see if I can print to my Epson printers.
Francois

StuartOnline

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:22 am »

I haven't yet installed Lion on any of my "photography" Macs but on my MacBook I had to reset the printing system before I could print. Not a big problem… I'll try to install Lion on a cloned HD and see if I can print to my Epson printers.

Thanks for the update.
Will be interesting to hear how your printing goes along with which printers you use.

On another note Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal (Apple’s Lion Brings PCs Into Tablet Era) has written a review of Lion along with a video:
http://allthingsd.com/20110720/mossberg-lion-review/
He has some real positive remarks about Lion.

Stu
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:48:20 am by StuartOnline »

francois

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:26 am »

Thanks for the update.
Will be interesting to hear how you printing goes along with which printers you use.

On another note Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal (Apple’s Lion Brings PCs Into Tablet Era) has written a review of Lion along with a video:
http://allthingsd.com/20110720/mossberg-lion-review/
He has some real positive remarks about Lion.

Stu
Stu,
Just to be clear... I only printed to a Laser printer. I expect to try my Epson on Monday or Tuesday and I'll report here.
So far, on my MacBook everything seems to be working fine. Everything is more responsive but I only used business stuff like writing & printing invoices, spreadsheet, surfing the web, reading and replying to e-mail messages. I launched Lightroom and used the develop module on a couple of images without any problem. But it's much too soon to declare victory…
Francois

stickan1

• Stig Hammarsten photography
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »

I have made two prints with my Epson2880 and it worked as normal. The only thing is that the ink level is not updated, although if I use the printer monitoring utility it shows correctly. But I don't know if this has to do with Lion. Anyway it is a small problem anyway. /Stig

StuartOnline

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:27 pm »

I have made two prints with my Epson2880 and it worked as normal. The only thing is that the ink level is not updated, although if I use the printer monitoring utility it shows correctly. But I don't know if this has to do with Lion. Anyway it is a small problem anyway. /Stig

Thanks for the printer report.

Adobe has posted the below:

Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

After reading the above about Adobe products which I use many I may hold off for a few days before install Lion. I am looking forward to it as soon as I know most of the bugs are worked out. Had a number of major issues with printing when Snow Leopard first came out. One of my printers it took over a month before drivers became available.

Will be watching to see what others are posting about Lion and if they run into any major issues.

Stu

francois

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:58 pm »

OK, I couldn't resist… I booted on my cloned and upgraded to Lion drive.

I tried to print from Lightroom 3.4.1 on an Epson 3800 and also on a couple of HPs.
So far, nothing to mention. Print output was identical to the ones I just made with Lightroom & Snow Leopard. On this Mac, I didn't have to reset the printing system.

I also tried PhotoKit Sharpener 2 in Photoshop and it looks like it works without any problem.

These were short tests, not extensive ones. I won't upgrade my main drive before I'm sure that everything works perfectly.
Francois

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:02 am »

Fresh install on a bare drive (here's how to get Lion on a DVD) LR 3.4 and PS 5 installed fine.  Printing to a Z3100 and B9180, no issues.

I love the spell checker.... ;)

francois

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:27:36 am »

Fresh install on a bare drive (here's how to get Lion on a DVD) LR 3.4 and PS 5 installed fine.  Printing to a Z3100 and B9180, no issues.

I love the spell checker.... ;)
Hi John,
The link to make a copy of Lion on a DVD will be useful for users with multiple machines. It's important to perform the copy before the Lion installation. The installer will erase the downloaded Lion Install app just after the install process.
Francois

StuartOnline

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:14 pm »

Well, I spend yesterday and part of this morning preparing my current MacBook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) for the upgrade to OS X Lion.
Was going to wait but decided to go for it.
Had no real issues with the upgrade, however I had my system ready to go before hand.
I am happy to say I am now running under OS X Lion and it is running smoothly.
It takes a little time to get use to the new options like what the Magic Mouse can do and with the Pad using your fingers.  But it is cool.
It does now work in full 64 bit mode which means it takes full advandge of your ram.
Mac Mail looks a little difference, but once I figured that out it was no problem.
Time Machine also worked as it has already backed this system up.

No problems that I can tell with Lightroom or Photoshop CS5.  Also have Aperture on this system and it ran ok.  However I have not printed anything as of yet.
Now I did print some text to the HP L7780 with no problems.

The Firewire 800 drives I have connect to the NitroAV Hub http://www.nitroav.com/product/113/ all work with no problems.

So overall I had no real issues.  It took about 45 minutes to down load the update (about 4 GB) and about 33 minutes to install.
If you follow: http://www.macworld.com/article/160943/2011/07/get_your_mac_ready_for_lion.html you should have no problems.

Since I do use OnOne software they informed me to deactivate before installing Lion.

Stu

francois

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:38 am »

Thanks for reporting. After a few days of use, I cannot report any problem...

:)
Francois

schrodingerscat

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

My worries are centered around printing and external device support like i1 spectro…

Don't know about the Spectro, but if it uses Eye-One Match you will have to purchase the upgrade to i1 Profiler for Lion compatibility. According to X-rite, Match is a PPC app and requires Rosetta, which will not be supported in Lion. Lion effectively stops any further use of PPC legacy software. As I use i1Photo Pro for both monitor calibration and custom printer profiles, for me there's not enough about Lion to compel me to shell out the $400+ to upgrade to i1 Profiler.

Even if you did not install Rosetta yourself, it's part of Match and runs it in the background.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up