Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Canvas  (Read 1820 times)

Garnick

Epson Exhibition Canvas
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:56 am »

I know this topic has been covered, but not comprehensively. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who are using this canvas. Issues such as ease of use, handling, coating and stretching come to mind if you could possibly expand on them. I would be using the matte surface, so of course Dmax would also factor into my decision to give it a try. Any and all replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Epson Exhibition Canvas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »

I've been using the gloss version of this canvas, and quite like it (I went with the gloss version because the gamut volume is higher than with the satin or matte versions).

In comparison with Epson's previous canvas, this stuff is heavier, and so takes more force to stretch. The base colour is also significantly more blue (less yellow) than the previous Epson canvas (sorry, I don't have a measurement for the white point, and it has not yet been reported on at Aardenburg).

mikev1

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:34 pm »

I've run through about 7 or 8 rolls of the Exhibition Matte Canvas (EMC).  It is more white than the Premium Matte Canvas (PMC).  Saturation seems a little lower  for the EMC with the stock profiles but that is easy enough to deal with.  It has more elasticity than the PMC.  This seems to be both good a bad.  I've found it easier to keep even, tight tension however you can see the canvas separating slightly along the weave of the canvas along the edges.  I wouldn't call this cracking, just the canvas separating a bit.  It is slight but I never had this with the PMC.  It can be troublesome with dark colours along the edge.

The EMC has way more flaws in it than the PMC.  I think this is part of the coating process.  Lots of areas where the coating has clumped up on the canvas.  Very rare with the PMC.

I might be crazy but it seems to me that Epson has changed the PMC, the texture seems different to me now than say a year ago.

All in all I find it easier to stretch the EMC.  I know the previous poster states otherwise but he is using glossy.  The Premium Satin Canvas is very easy to stretch and feel more elastic than the PMC.

My regular customers seem split on which they like better.

Hope this helps,

Mike

mikev1

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »

Oh I should add, I've never was a big fan of the Premium Satin Canvas, prints look less vibrant and less sharp to my eye both coated and uncoated when compared to the matte canvas.  Less vibrant I can deal with, less sharp really bothers me.  I am not a sharpness nut it's just the satin canvas always looked "hazy" or something to me when compared to the matte.

ternst

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

Anyone compare the gloss to BC Lyve - especially the smoothness of the surface and sharpness of the image? It seems very expensive compared to Lyve, even with the discount promotion that Epson has going on now...
Pages: [1]   Go Up