Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellowstone - where to buy 220 film near Yellowstone  (Read 3201 times)

Mike Hassy

Yellowstone - where to buy 220 film near Yellowstone
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:52 am »

Hi everybody

I am new to this board.  I am wanting to do a trip to Yellowstone next year and want to bring my Fuji 690 III to shoot some MF landscape shots.  Problem is airport security.  I have gotten enough hassles in the past that I would like to be able to buy some 220 film when I get to Yellowstone then mail the exposed rolls for processing to avoid any x-ray passes.

Does anybody know any shops in the Yellowstone area that sells 220 film - particularly Fuji 160?

I have tried Google searches, but can't seem to get any links to help.  I did see some other posts on trying lead bags through security, but in a very crowded Orlando airport I am not sure how that attempt might fly.

Thanks!

Mike

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
Re: Yellowstone - where to buy 220 film near Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:20:40 am »

F-11 camera store in Bozeman, Montana will have everything you need. It is about an hour or so out of Gardiner, MT on the north entrance. I doubt you will find anything in the immediate area these days.

Hope this helps.

Hi everybody

I am new to this board.  I am wanting to do a trip to Yellowstone next year and want to bring my Fuji 690 III to shoot some MF landscape shots.  Problem is airport security.  I have gotten enough hassles in the past that I would like to be able to buy some 220 film when I get to Yellowstone then mail the exposed rolls for processing to avoid any x-ray passes.

Does anybody know any shops in the Yellowstone area that sells 220 film - particularly Fuji 160?

I have tried Google searches, but can't seem to get any links to help.  I did see some other posts on trying lead bags through security, but in a very crowded Orlando airport I am not sure how that attempt might fly.

Thanks!

Mike

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:31:32 am »

Even before 9/11, any pro film was tough to come by except in major cities in the West, so you needed to pack plenty. When I last went (with film) back in the late 1990s, any film other than 35mm consumer color negative of doubtful storage was a problem once away from home in Northern California. I needed 35mm transparency film on the way via Cheyenne, and all I could find is a few odd rolls on Kodachrome and that was at a K-Mart, forget about anything larger!

I'm not sure if your right for a hand-search of film has been abridged as has keeping your "junk" grope-free by Big Sis, but check on TSA's website to see if the right to have your film hand-inspected is still a right. If that right is there, print it out, especially the rule numbers and web url, take it with you and give your self an extra 30-45 minutes before your flight and with a smile as you get into line, ask them to kindly hand-inspect your film. Courtesy will get you far and if there are any hassles, kindly ask to speak with a supervisor and present them with your TSA print-out. It can't hurt.

Even flying before 9/11 domestically, I didn't have a problem with a single-pass of 100-400 speed film each direction and I'll bet that the machines are even lower emission today. Anything beyond 400 iso, I'd get hand-fondled ;-).

Otherwise, if you are staying at a lodging when you get there, ship the film there. Another thing to try is to check for the chamber of commerce at your destination and see if they will accept your package for pick-up and when you arrive and if you are there during their open hours, pick it up.

You'll need to do this yourself since I don't even think that B&H will trans-ship to a hotel/motel any more, though if you have them ship it to you, it may be worth a call.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

I would imagine FedEx/UPS/TNT/etc. x-ray international packages these days, at least on a spot check basis.

I stuff MF and LF film in my cargo pants pocket, although it has limited space. ISO 100 film shouldn't fog at all when going through carry-on x-ray machines, and I let it go rather than trust that the security personnel don't open up the packages improperly when doing hand inspections.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »

... Does anybody know any shops in the Yellowstone area that sells 220 film...

A sign that you are old: you do not ask "what's film?"

A sign that you are really old: you do not ask "what's 220?"

:)

Mike Hassy

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:06:52 am »

Thanks everybody! 

There are some very useful suggestions here and I appreciate your input.

...and you know you are very, very old when you know what a Fuji GSW690 is (aka Texas Leica)

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up