Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera to Print & Screen  (Read 199896 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Camera to Print & Screen
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:15 pm »

No...in Photoshop you had to create a whole file which when using the Duplicate does add a "copy" in the file name. Lightroom's Before/after is a completely different function. It uses history to show the image Before and the current state in After. Before/After has been in LR for a while. Also, when making any adjustments when soft proofing, LR give you the opportunity to create a new Virtual Copy and will add the proofed profile name in the VC name. Really, pretty slick...

Photo Op

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »

No...in Photoshop you had to create a whole file which when using the Duplicate does add a "copy" in the file name. Lightroom's Before/after is a completely different function. It uses history to show the image Before and the current state in After. Before/After has been in LR for a while. Also, when making any adjustments when soft proofing, LR give you the opportunity to create a new Virtual Copy and will add the proofed profile name in the VC name. Really, pretty slick...

Sorry Jeff, I must have taken a dense pill today. I understand in CSx the process calls for creating the Copy. Soft Proofing is "applied" to the "original". In LR4, assume I go to SP a DNG. With the DNG selected in Develop Module, I turn on SP. With the 1st adjustment, the virtual copy is made. What I'm asking, is the Before the DNG, and the After the Virtual Copy, with however many subsequent adjustments?

-Dave
David

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:19 pm »

What I'm asking, is the Before the DNG, and the After the Virtual Copy, with however many subsequent adjustments?

No...Before/After has nothing to do with VC's...you can do the Before/After without doing a VC. Before/After uses history to show the image before a function and then after the function. I'm still on the fence regarding using VC's automatically for images I soft proof. I voted strongly NOT to spawn off VC's but rather pop in a new snapshot of the image before and after the soft proofing...I'm still working that out. The advantage of the current function is you can automatically create the VC where using snapshots requires a degree of attention and detail for what you are doing. Unfortunately, there's limited functionality in LR for snapshots. VC's can be filtered but snapshots can't. I think the big difference is volume. If you don't mind spawning off VC's, they can work well.

The other problem at the moment is that when you make changes to an image while soft proofed, there's often a similarity to the changes needed. But, there's currently no way of applying "relative" adjustments to image in Develop using Presets. Presets are absolute settings so you can't really save out a standard soft proof adjustment on one image and be able to apply those settings relatively to other images current settings. So, soft proofing is really image by image...something I hope changes in the future...

:~)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »

Suggest you move this Soft Proofing discussion to the Adobe Lightroom Q & A

stormyboy

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »

Andrew,
Thank you for the second installment.  It is very informative.
Tom

Photo Op

« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2012, 03:42:43 am »

Suggest you move this Soft Proofing discussion to the Adobe Lightroom Q & A

Chris-as moderator can you peel off the last several replies regarding soft proofing to a new thread in the Adobe Lightroom Q & A?
David

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:01 am »

Andrew,
Thank you for the second installment.  It is very informative.
Tom
Indeed! Very helpful. Thanks, Andrew.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Camera to Print & Screen - Soft Proofing in LR4
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

Moderator error - apologies, but to continue this thread and see Andrew's reply, go here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=61352.0

There is a link to a new movie by Andrew on Soft Proofing in LR4
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:33:41 pm by Chris Sanderson »

kablunak

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

I am sorely tempted to purchase your video and I have watched your 21 Min free preview. Although you have a terrific web site, your preview video consists  mostly of reminiscing and one-upmanship between Michael and Jeff and very little actual instruction. Does your video contain 11 Hrs of the same and 1 1/2 Hrs of instructions or is there some more meat in it? Any other instructional videos (like NIK) are total instruction, yes I know they sell the software, but you are selling your course.
How do any of you who purchased the video feel about this? Thanks.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:32 pm »

I am sorely tempted to purchase your video and I have watched your 21 Min free preview. Although you have a terrific web site, your preview video consists  mostly of reminiscing and one-upmanship between Michael and Jeff and very little actual instruction. Does your video contain 11 Hrs of the same and 1 1/2 Hrs of instructions or is there some more meat in it? Any other instructional videos (like NIK) are total instruction, yes I know they sell the software, but you are selling your course.

HI,

there is very much much "meat" in this video !

In my opinion, this is the best course on these topiucs you can buy. Surely, there are some humorious aspects, but these are the spices in the soup. Pleae, keep in mind, most of the information provided come directly from the horses mouth, so I bet there is no better source.

Just my 5 cent !

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Photo Op

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2012, 01:48:48 pm »

Thanks Chris for moving the thread!

Dave B
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:07:40 pm by Photo Op »
David

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

I have purchased many video tutorials over the past 10 years or so.  Camera to Print & Screen is the best value for the money that I have made in a video tutorial.  I will go a bit further and say that this video series is the best, and most chock full of information, of ALL of the videos that I have purchased.  I view the video series even as a better value than any of the classes that I have attended at PPA Imaging etc.

I found the banter between Michael and Jeff to be very entertaining and made me feel like I was hanging out with a couple of my photographer/Photoshop friends.  In other words, it was not boring and dry at all.  Very juicy!

David Hufford

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:49 pm »

The banter between Michael and Jeff add to this video---and the others they have done---not take away from it. I got all the instruction I needed in this---and yes, there is plenty of it. I originally learned Lightroom through LL videos, and learned it much more effectively and enjoyably than using even the good books I have on it. These videos are very instructive, and done in an entertaining way. Don't know if that sort of instruction works for you, but I certainly enjoy it.
*Never fall in love with anything that c
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up