Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Barn Clearview Sigma SD-1  (Read 6654 times)

degrub

Re: Red Barn Clearview Sigma SD-1
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:21 pm »

there already enough simple SD1 users posting full size samples, one of the recent = http://www.flickr.com/photos/atakiguchi/

Not sure what to make of the feature on the specular highlights in the speedboat picture. Anyone have any ideas ?

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:11 pm »

I had not noticed when reacting to "Red Barn" that it was captured with the SD1 Foveonx3. I just knew I was enjoying it...Seeing today's home page I am beginning to see why...interestingly though the images I have seen posted here and there elsewhere with this camera/sensor clearly identify the need for "vision/skill" in the pointer...Poor technique/poor vision are wonderfully magnified ...placing such a capture next to one gained by hands such as Michael's really illustrates "it's not just owning the camera"

I was just saying to Eric M a bit ago that my secret "if I could do anything wish" would be to attend one of the PODAS workshops...Having the 180 back with a 23mm would tell me whether the fit was the one I would really love this late in life.. but now that I am poking around the SD1 it would be possible to have some of the satisfaction it seems without having to sell a beloved painting to do so...

Will be very interesting to follow... would this require starting from scratch with lenses (have some wonderful L Canon glass...) Would be a great way to simplfy where the mind explores to settle where is best...

Anyway, did not mean to bump into a discussion of the merits of this camera/sensor..was just reacting to a capture I enjoyed as well as the subliminal sense it gave me of painterly capture...as does "The Farm" today.

Do you think, Michael, that the sensor is influencing the way you are seeing the proposed capture, as opposed to the distinctly graphic nature of much of the recent work you have shared?

Looking forward to your review...Pat
A common woman~

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:29 pm »

No, I think that marketing has nothing to do with it; it's all about reader/viewer response (my question) to the image, not the brand etc. with which it was shot. My question was why that particular bland and inoffensive image caused the ooohs and aaahs when many other more dynamic/exciting shots from the same photographer go unremarked. Nothing to do with pushing Brand A or Brand B and everything to do with reader/viewer psychology vis-à-vis given photographs. I think.

Rest assured that when Michael finds something, usually geometric in nature, in the mundane, it is noticed. The more stuff is beyond my own ability, the more I admire it :). But I was really struck by the colors in that picture, and that was before I looked at which camera produced it. In itself that's a fairly mundane composition of something that's both a bit below a postcard shot in terms of flashiness and a bit above in terms visual rythm. But it's such a perfect, if a bit dreamlike, mix of colors!

As a test shot for a camera that claims to be different in the way it handles color, it is definitely perfect.

John Camp

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:17 pm »

The past two photos have had interesting watercolor-like atmospheric effects. The question is whether this is due to some quality of the sensor, or, er, the atmosphere.

The next time Michael sees an image like this, it would be interesting to see it shot twice -- once with the Sigma, again with a Canon or Nikon. It's very difficult to see what's really going on with an image seen in isolation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up