Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Barn Clearview Sigma SD-1  (Read 6652 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Red Barn Clearview Sigma SD-1
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:22:08 am »

Composition and lighting aside (which are both wonderful by the way) There is something very appealing to my eyes about the tones in this photograph (even in the small jpeg). I would not quite describe them as 'pastel' like; but there is something about them very similar that I find very appealing. There is a crispness to the image, yet a wonderful overall softness to the color and the combination is a nice harmony. I cant quite find the right words to describe what it is that I see that I am liking - but I like it a lot.

Michael; without pre-empting your review article, how did you process this file? (As in, what software did you use? And did you give it any special treatment?).

Edit - Please dont tell me I am seeing a benefit of the Foveon sensor... that will just upset me.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:24:01 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

michael

Re: Red Barn Clearview Sigma SD-1
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:42 am »

Processing was initially done in Sigma Photo Pro, which is required because nothing else supports the SD1 yet.

Basically just white balance, black point and white point were set and then the file was exported to Lightroom as a 16 bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB. Everything else was then done in Lightroom. (SPP is pretty enemic beyond simple raw conversion).

Nothing special was done in post processing. Is it the "Foveon look"? It's Too soon to tell, but there is something there.

More soon.

Michael

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

I agree. The colors are very subtle yet not desaturated. Resolution is crispy but not stingy. The composition is superb.
Eduardo

Composition and lighting aside (which are both wonderful by the way) There is something very appealing to my eyes about the tones in this photograph (even in the small jpeg). I would not quite describe them as 'pastel' like; but there is something about them very similar that I find very appealing. There is a crispness to the image, yet a wonderful overall softness to the color and the combination is a nice harmony. I cant quite find the right words to describe what it is that I see that I am liking - but I like it a lot.

Michael; without pre-empting your review article, how did you process this file? (As in, what software did you use? And did you give it any special treatment?).

Edit - Please dont tell me I am seeing a benefit of the Foveon sensor... that will just upset me.  ;D

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:36 am »

Awoke this morning to this welcoming burst of sentiment for times gone by...and then against the sky, the edges invite me from my resting place in the foreground to the corrugated expanse beyond..as my eye dissects the hill can almost hear the conversations beyond, but out of my reach...only ever so slightly/subtly do I wish for the very smallest bit more  room to the right of barn for breezes to flow.

Also...can't shake the feeling of the 1948 painting (Wyeth) "Christina's World"  .  Both something lasting, not idle ...

Really enjoying this one Michael.  Pat
A common woman~

michael

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:27 pm »

Thanks Pat. There was more room on the right of the barn, but there was a road and some ugly telephone poles so I decided to do some surgery.

Michael

dreed

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »

I'm curious about the time of day for this? I recall that after your first journey to the Palouse(spel?) you commented that you'd found subject matter that was worthwhile during the middle of the day ... the shadows (or lack thereof) in the Red Barn photograph looks to be similarly timed..?

michael

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

6:06PM, about two and half hours before sunset.

The day had a high haze and some clouds were moving in, so the light was pretty interesting.

Michael

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »

What struck me were the queen anne's lace (I think?) It seemed surrealistic. Not in a bad way but had that "Dali" look. (interesting capture, BTW)

It will be interesting to see how this higher res Foveon plays out relative to Bayer. Even though we all seem to recognize the limitations of jpg, it is intriguing how often these subtle impressions come through.

I've player with the Sigma 14 (canon mount, so I can use Leica R lenses) and there was a difference to my M9 and P65+ (and DMR) I would say it was closer to the DMR, with saturation a bit stronger and a color 'richness' that was not bad. However, nothing like this. Now, I will also say that I HAVE seen some 'crispness' show up in downresing 60MP files...so that could be what is happening here.

regards
Victor

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »

Great image followed by a big 'gulp' when I saw the price tag for the camera!

michael

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »

Everyone is gulping the same gulp.

Michael

hubell

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »

I can't judge the quality of the camera from a web jpeg, obviously, but I do think the photograph is excellent.  I really like the "feel" of the color palette. I look forward to the review.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:08 am »

Beautiful photograph, and a pleasant surprise to see on the home page. It looks almost like HDR...can't wait for the review.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

jeremyrh

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:42:54 am »

Lovely photo, Michael - you must have a fancy camera (isn't that what folk say ??  ;) )

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:40:44 am »

We have the same weeds in the abandoned farmer's field on the other side of our hedge; those mothers can grow up to about three metres tall. Weeds, not farmers, but that's only in my experience.

I find this image a strange one. Not from the photographic point of view, which, to me, just looks like any other shot taken in dull light, the composition being nice and more or less at least what I'd expect from anyone of Michael's track record. What strikes me is the relative joy with which it has been received.

I have posted here before about my surprise at the lack of reaction to some of the really impressive stuff that gets to grace the front page of this site, and here we are, a perfectly ordinary shot touches the G-spots. I never cease to wonder at what makes different people tick.

Not a complaint, not even a criticism, just an expression of surprise. No wonder stock was ever a very chancy medium.

Rob C

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:57:05 am »

I find this image a strange one. Not from the photographic point of view, which, to me, just looks like any other shot taken in dull light, the composition being nice and more or less at least what I'd expect from anyone of Michael's track record. What strikes me is the relative joy with which it has been received.

I have posted here before about my surprise at the lack of reaction to some of the really impressive stuff that gets to grace the front page of this site, and here we are, a perfectly ordinary shot touches the G-spots.

Hi Rob,

My sentiments exactly. Without a direct comparison to a regular Bayer CFA image of the same scene at the same time/lighting, mythical qualities are attributed to a camera based on a small lossy compressed JPEG output file after having been processed by two different software programs.

I never cease to wonder at what makes different people tick.

Same here.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

I never cease to wonder at what makes different people tick.
Rob C

May I venture a guess? It's called marketing, on the home page, with a company that has already got a lot of buzz around its product. For the next one week that's the image I'm going to see every time I log in to Lula.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »

My sentiments exactly. Without a direct comparison to a regular Bayer CFA image of the same scene at the same time/lighting, mythical qualities are attributed to a camera based on a small lossy compressed JPEG output file after having been processed by two different software programs.

Lets not draw any conclusions from a single small sample, agreed. This being said, the overall color balance of that image is very pleasing indeed. If that was coming out of one of the Canon cameras I own, I'd bug the author for his post processing recipe.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:39:03 pm »

May I venture a guess? It's called marketing, on the home page, with a company that has already got a lot of buzz around its product. For the next one week that's the image I'm going to see every time I log in to Lula.

Well, if I was a Sigma marketeer and if I really believed in the qualities of a new product, I wouldn't hesitate offering opinion makers the possibility to test it.  As long as it is disclosed, that's not an issue. Michael's impressions have always been quite balanced in terms of real life pros and cons. I don't expect this to change and, anyway, if it did it certainly wouldn't go unnoticed by the maniac rabid crowd  ;D hanging around...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »

there already enough simple SD1 users posting full size samples, one of the recent = http://www.flickr.com/photos/atakiguchi/

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

No, I think that marketing has nothing to do with it; it's all about reader/viewer response (my question) to the image, not the brand etc. with which it was shot. My question was why that particular bland and inoffensive image caused the ooohs and aaahs when many other more dynamic/exciting shots from the same photographer go unremarked. Nothing to do with pushing Brand A or Brand B and everything to do with reader/viewer psychology vis-à-vis given photographs. I think.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:51:38 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up