Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH2 gurus call  (Read 3287 times)

fredjeang

GH2 gurus call
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »

Hi,

1) Is it normal that the red dedicated button do not allow manual controls at max quality? I can only obtain the full cine mode with the dial and shutter button.

So if I understand, the only utility of this red button is allowing quick video access on the fly? for ex in an unpredicted situation. Red in this this case would mean "rescue button" ?

2) Is it normal that when I choose a speed in video (generally 1/50) when I switch to A or S the speed in video is bloody memorized and not the latest speed used in the stills mode? That's annoying because
I rather switch directly to P mode then. (I found the P mode one of the best I ever used in any camera)

3) I've seen a guy taking video footage via hdmi on a pre-serie unit and the footage was fixed marked with the date on the upper left corner...does somebody knows if that has been fixed on the serie models?

4) There is a silent mode, no shutter noise at all. But it seems that it only operates in Super burst mode. At least it's the only configuration I could get a silent mode.

Thanks.

Edit: questions 1 and 2 have been answered by MR in this article I discovered in the archives: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gh2_discoveries.shtml
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:25:35 am by fredjeang »

tho_mas

Re: GH2 gurus call
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:43:06 am »

1) Is it normal that the red dedicated button do not allow manual controls at max quality? I can only obtain the full cine mode with the dial and shutter button.
Not that I know of. In video mode it makes no difference whether you record with the regular ("photo"-) release button or the red ("video"-) release button. Both make files up to 24Mbits (at 1080p 24). However I think it makes a difference if you set the camera either to video mode or to P, S, M etc. Only in the dedicated video mode the camera records at max quality (at least I think I've read something like that in the manual or elsewhere ... I am not quite sure about this as I haven't shot photos with the GH2 by now and used the video mode only).
Note the compression is VBR ... so the compression actually applied to the file depends on the amount of details and motion in the scene. Scenes with little motion and large uniform/soft areas may result in Mbit rates below 20Mbits (and less) even if the camera is set to H in 24p mode.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:45:45 am by tho_mas »

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »

It seems that you are right. This red button is indeed wiredly implemented.
If you have the dial in motion mode, the red button would actually operate exactly like the main shutter one.

But if your dial is in still mode, that's another story.
In fact you are not any more at 24Mbts but 16ish and the camera behave in auto mode. The only way to control something is to use the lock expo and trust the screen like if it was a compactcam.

So yeah, while you took the precaution to have your dial to motion, the red buttons delivers the mode it should be but it's stupid because it doubles the shutter button.

But if you are mixing with stills, that's a strange configuration. Not that much because of the button but IMO, because it doesn't memorize the latest still speed setted if you switched to 1/50 for video.
The prob is that if I was shooting stills at 1/250 and just leave the shutter speed as it is to recuperate this value immediatly, I don't really know what the video mode (in the case I was for ex in S to the dial) is cooking backstage because that info disappear.
Does it shoots video at 1/250? It seems that it just operates in auto video mode choosing one shutter speed automatically. If someone knows that precisely it would be good to know.

It's not uninteresting by the way, but it's weired.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:07:52 pm by fredjeang »

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:16:49 pm »

So yeah, while you took the precaution to have your dial to motion, the red buttons delivers the mode it should be but it's stupid because it doubles the shutter button.
not quite. The regular button also enables AF (or so) while the red button just starts to record video and consequently does not affect any other setting/adjustment.

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:46 am »

not quite. The regular button also enables AF (or so) while the red button just starts to record video and consequently does not affect any other setting/adjustment.
Of course.  I was only refereing on the video settings when talked about redundancy between the 2 buttons.

I thought this point (AF only enabled on shutter one) would have been obvious for most of us without the need to mention it but you are right to stress it anyway because this camera electronics is indeed very complex.

I'm discovering a new feature almost everyday. It's good and not so much at the same time.

For ex, if you shoot a serie of stills during video recording, it's good to know that not to affect the recording it has to be setted in 2k. Nothing strange there. But then, when you want to review the stills in camera, all you have are movies. I thought I was doing something wrong until I placed the card in computer and yes, the stills are really there but you can't review them if you took them while filming. No problem with that but just bewildering.

If MR applauded the paper instructions handbook, wich is nice indeed, the content is often laconic and not really made in such a way that you exploit very
easily the complexity of the camera. It's a true box of surprises.

In terms of IQ, it's an antique Canon 16MP 1D. Exactly the same! Can't see any difference, wich is impressive indeed and shows the technology way that has been walked in a few years. So it's like having the still pro quality available years ago with an advanced video capabilities within a reduced size and with probably the most universal lens adaptability ever found.
If this tech is going that way at that speed, I wonder about the MF manufacturers future to be honest.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:19:02 am by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up