Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and iPad  (Read 4511 times)

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
Lightroom and iPad
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:43:18 pm »

Hello,

I was looking at the iPad as a photography aid tool, for tethered shooting. Basically, I usually shoot tethered with a notebook. But there are situations, where it's just not doable to have the clients at the notebook. I'd rather use a WiFi Tether on my Canon camera ( wireless transmitter ) to the notebook... and use the notebook as a server for image viewing and rating by clients, who could be sitting further away from shooting location. Or, as it sometimes happens in interior design shoots, leave the notebook sitting in a room, while moving around with the camera. And the iPad would come with me, much easier and simpler to carry around than even a light notebook.

I noticed Phase One released such an App, Capture Pilot, to be used alongside Capture One.

Is there word of any such app by Adobe to be used teamed up with Lightroom? :|

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Lightroom and iPad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

I went through this decision making process when the Ipad first came out.. thinking it might be an ideal solution for tethering, time lapse, etc.  I ended up choosing a very powerful i7 based 2.4 pound laptop because the Ipad didn't have the software available and I really doubt it was powerful enough to use as a tethering client anyway.  Now, more than a year later, much of the software is available, but I still doubt it has the power to comfortably work as a tethering client without the slowness slowing me down.

But it sounds like you're trying to use the Ipad simply as a viewing monitor while still using your notebook as the tethering client?  It's hard to tell from your post exactly what you're trying to achieve.  If it's only a viewing monitor, there are several flat LED based inexpensive  LCD's which might be better suited.  It seems like there's a prevailing mindset out there to make the Ipad the 'go to' tool for everything, and ultimately there are most often better solutions.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

JessicaLuchesi

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:05 pm »

Thanks Steve,

The first thing that comes to mind, is just using the iPad as a secondary viewing monitor "to keep client hands off my notebook" during a shoot. Or, a situation I faced a few weeks ago, shooting a somewhat big apartment having to drag the notebook around for viewing. I'd rather leave it on the entrance, working as a server, and the magazine editor could follow me around with a lighter iPad.

But, if I could tether the camera directly to the iPad ( not for processing, just storage and viewing, and some 100% peeking to check details ), it would be dreamy for that sort of scenario. Because having to set the notebook in a situation when I'll be walking around is somewhat cumbersome, but I prefer to review my photos on a big screen rather than on the camera's LCD.

If Adobe came up with something, to work as a "off site" or lighter Lightroom, on the same tone as Phase One's Capture Pilot, that would be perfect. I wonder if Adobe is working on something. I found some software that fills in some gaps, but only Capture Pilot comes out with the solution I want ( which would requite me to buy C1... which I don't wanna do ).

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:38:27 pm »

You have some interesting ideas.

Are you using a tripod for your work?  RRS has some really nice laptop shelves for tripods.

I've tried hard to find an excuse to purchase an Ipad, like everyone else I'm certainly taken by this cool gadget.. but every time I try to find a place for it in my workflow, I find there's not an ap for it (yet, I'm sure), or something else would work better.  Usually something I already have.

For what you describe, I wonder if a Window's based tablet would serve you better?  Android/Apple based tablets are limited by what aps are available, while a Window's based tablet can take advantage of all the software we normally use.  Last year we didn't have this choice, but this year we have several nice choices, and next year we'll have a bunch more.  With a Window's based tablet I can use all the software I normally use.. and own.  The only ones I've seen first hand are the Viewsonic's and they were nice.  Maybe not as sleek as an Ipad, but for sure they'd work for what you describe.

Sony also advertised a 6" LCD (I think) that goes in a DSLR's hot shoe and connects via the HDMI port.. and can be used in Live View as well as for review.  Seems handy.  I've yet to see one in person, but as soon as I get totally settled here in the states I'm going to take advantage of the great availability we have here.. :)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

VeloDramatic

• VeloDramatic Cycling Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:40 pm »

I sat on the iPad fence through version one lamenting the inadequate storage and connectivity. Ultimately it was a single application, Shuttersnitch that changed the balance for me. Using an Eye-Fi card I transmit wirelessly during shoots (indoors and outdoors) to the iPad so that clients and models can see what's happening. I transmit photos selectively using the "protect" function so I control what clients see, when I want them to see it, and this avoids the potential problem of too much client direction on set.

In addition I use Shuttersnitch galleries and the terrific iPad screen to present my portfolio. Transfer jpgs at 2x (2048 x 1536) to allow zooming.

Robgalbraith has a terrific article on how to set this all up, including choosing a small battery powered router that will extend your range over the Eye-Fi card's direct capabilities.

I remain hopeful that iOS compatible wireless storage options, thunderbolt connectivity, retina display quality and a Lightoom mobile client come along soon to extend the value of the device in my workflow.

JessicaLuchesi

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:13:58 am »

You have some interesting ideas.

Are you using a tripod for your work?  RRS has some really nice laptop shelves for tripods.

Thanks :) Well, my tripod is not a heavy big one, it's a somewhat light Manfrotto 190, ideal for my work, not too heavy, not too light, and I can add a sandbag hanging from the column if I need more stability. But, mostly, I close and re-open the tripod when moving, so, a tripod shelf wouldn't work too good.

For what you describe, I wonder if a Window's based tablet would serve you better?  Android/Apple based tablets are limited by what aps are available, while a Window's based tablet can take advantage of all the software we normally use. 

That considering I was a Windows user, and not a Mac user. I'm a Mac user ;)

JessicaLuchesi

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

I sat on the iPad fence through version one lamenting the inadequate storage and connectivity. Ultimately it was a single application, Shuttersnitch that changed the balance for me. Using an Eye-Fi card I transmit wirelessly during shoots (indoors and outdoors) to the iPad so that clients and models can see what's happening. I transmit photos selectively using the "protect" function so I control what clients see, when I want them to see it, and this avoids the potential problem of too much client direction on set.

In addition I use Shuttersnitch galleries and the terrific iPad screen to present my portfolio. Transfer jpgs at 2x (2048 x 1536) to allow zooming.

Robgalbraith has a terrific article on how to set this all up, including choosing a small battery powered router that will extend your range over the Eye-Fi card's direct capabilities.

I remain hopeful that iOS compatible wireless storage options, thunderbolt connectivity, retina display quality and a Lightoom mobile client come along soon to extend the value of the device in my workflow.

Yeah, my idea precisely. For me, my shoots are usually under 4Gb of RAW files, so, a 32Gb iPad would work, no problem. I would dumb and delete the shoots when getting home anyway. It would never be used for something such as 5 days of shooting in one go, without touching base with the notebook ( which already has an external 160Gb FW800 HD just for storing photoshoots ). I shoot food and interior design, so, I don't shoot THAT much, in brute number of clicks, usually the shoot is over in less than 100 clicks. FAR LESS usually. A step by step on how to make something, plus the end pics of the food, would not take more than 150 clicks, if I'm having a lot of trouble getting something right ( which is not usual, usually it's fairly easy and fast ).

So, even if I had to shoot RAW+JPEG, having a wireless transmitter ( I don't own one yet, because I want to jump to the 5D MK3 when it comes out, and not spending any money on the current camera in order to save... ideally, it will be Canon's wireless grip - but yeah, today I also have the USB cable to haul around ) send it all to the iPad, and Lightroom viewing capacity ( with rating ) on the iPad, and storage, would be great. Really great.

If I had to have the notebook as a "server", it could sit quietly on a small table elsewhere, while only the iPad comes around ( it's much simpler to move, much lighter, and could be on the client's hands ). The notebook would be main storage, I'd connect external storage to the notebook and so on. The iPad only has to be lightweight for viewing. Maybe storage if used SOLO ( granted the images are also stored on the camera's card ). But the freedom not to have to haul a notebook all the time, or move it when I move, is of great value ( friday I had a shoot in a kitchen, then moving a floor down for the end photos, in two separate places in the floor... moving the USB cable wasn't much of a burden compared to moving the notebook itself and finding a new table in a filling restaurant to continue the shoot ).

I moved from wired flash control with PC sync, to el-cheapo radio triggers, then to Pocket Wizard's FLEX TT5. I also moved from a wired 110V strobe to full battery OP flashes. If I go back to a generator, it will be battery powered for sure, but right now, the immense freedom to just grab the strobe stand and walk, has such a great value while on location and the clock is ticking ( sometimes, the shoot is scheduled 1h before opening...  and I want to be out before the first costumer arrives, do you like eating while flashes are popping? Neither do I, and I guess not many people do, I think it's common etiquette to avoid as much as possible extending the shoot after opening hours ). For me, going full wireless is the way to go. A lighter Lightroom for the iPad for Wireless Tethering only makes sense, even if initially, it would still require a notebook.
Pages: [1]   Go Up