Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Groins  (Read 6459 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Groins
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »

OK, I'm curious, I've just seen your three other posts. All of which very good and have been given their due applause. I'm just wondering why this was your first post?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:36 am »

I like this kind of subject - despite the groin/groyne/groans - and I try it my self. However I think the piling on the left doesn't fit in well with the overall composition. Also the contrast is a little overdone. The difference between the dark areas on the left and the  brighter areas on the right are too extreme. Perhaps a day with less harsh lighting or less processing would help? :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:44 am »

And, yes, I agree: it's a cliché, but a very well done one.

Ah derivatives and clichés where would we be without them, the one I hate most is the silhouette of a single tree on the top of a hill - but lets not go down the everyone listing of our favourite/hated cliché shots, as this thread would get very long indeed, but what I would say here and by way of advice, is that I once heard someone say on a similar subject, that you should "fake it till you make it", which I assumed to mean work closely in the style of whoever's work interests you, but only until you get good enough to develop your own style.

Photobloke

martin-images

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »

OK, I'm curious, I've just seen your three other posts. All of which very good and have been given their due applause. I'm just wondering why this was your first post?

Cheers,

No reason Tom,
It is not a first in terms of content, many shots like this are out there, but, I print all my own work and this one, in print, stands out so well, the reflection and luminance on the water looks so good on matt FAP paper, I just like it  :)

Thank you for looking and commenting

Martin

martin-images

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »

I like this kind of subject - despite the groin/groyne/groans - and I try it my self. However I think the piling on the left doesn't fit in well with the overall composition. Also the contrast is a little overdone. The difference between the dark areas on the left and the  brighter areas on the right are too extreme. Perhaps a day with less harsh lighting or less processing would help? :)

I thank you for your comment, but IMHO you are so wrong in your assumption about the contrast, viewing here at such small sizes and on high contrast monitors does not give the right impression and an allowance for the difference between what you see here and what would be printed out must be given. Files have to reach a certain level of contrast to print well on FAP such as VFA, I print exclusively on matt papers, this image is edited to that level any lower and it could be termed as flat in print terms, this was not a low contrast scene.

Martin

martin-images

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

Ah derivatives and clichés where would we be without them, the one I hate most is the silhouette of a single tree on the top of a hill - but lets not go down the everyone listing of our favourite/hated cliché shots, as this thread would get very long indeed, but what I would say here and by way of advice, is that I once heard someone say on a similar subject, that you should "fake it till you make it", which I assumed to mean work closely in the style of whoever's work interests you, but only until you get good enough to develop your own style.

Photobloke

I think you will find I have my own style, that to many is instantly recognizable by many, I do not copy any ones work, I might photograph the same subjects, however, my own vision is always put into the edit, I cannot do it any other way.

Thank you

Martin

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:48 pm »

Martin, A cliché isn't necessarily a copy of someone else's work. The people in this thread who have pointed out the problem all have seen probably at least a hundred shots of pilings leading into the sea. I know I have. I've seen better ones than yours (from my friend, Cole Thompson) and I've seen many, many that are a lot worse. As far as copying someone else's work is concerned, don't sweat it. I think it was Picasso who said: "Bad artists borrow; great artists steal." Yes, you've developed what's probably a recognizable style, though so far most of your posts have been a single tree in a barren setting. That's not a "style." It's repetition.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The work of yours I've seen is excellent. I suspect we'd all like to see more of it. I know I would -- especially the kind of street work I just commented on in another thread. But if you post on User Critiques you usually can expect criticism that doesn't beat around the bush. You're good enough that that shouldn't bother you.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

martin-images

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 02:30:33 am »

Martin, A cliché isn't necessarily a copy of someone else's work. The people in this thread who have pointed out the problem all have seen probably at least a hundred shots of pilings leading into the sea. I know I have. I've seen better ones than yours (from my friend, Cole Thompson) and I've seen many, many that are a lot worse. As far as copying someone else's work is concerned, don't sweat it. I think it was Picasso who said: "Bad artists borrow; great artists steal." Yes, you've developed what's probably a recognizable style, though so far most of your posts have been a single tree in a barren setting. That's not a "style." It's repetition.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The work of yours I've seen is excellent. I suspect we'd all like to see more of it. I know I would -- especially the kind of street work I just commented on in another thread. But if you post on User Critiques you usually can expect criticism that doesn't beat around the bush. You're good enough that that shouldn't bother you.

Thanks RSL

I understand exactly what your saying, much appreciated

Martin

stamper

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 04:30:03 am »

I thank you for your comment, but IMHO you are so wrong in your assumption about the contrast, viewing here at such small sizes and on high contrast monitors does not give the right impression and an allowance for the difference between what you see here and what would be printed out must be given. Files have to reach a certain level of contrast to print well on FAP such as VFA, I print exclusively on matt papers, this image is edited to that level any lower and it could be termed as flat in print terms, this was not a low contrast scene.

Martin

I and other members can only judge what we see on the screen and cannot judge the final print, unless you want to send me one. ;) I think you are a little over defensive about this? You asked for a critique and the response was good. Have you printed it yet and does the final print show a lower contrast? I think my point was a valid one but only an opinion and everyone sees it differently. :)

martin-images

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »

I and other members can only judge what we see on the screen and cannot judge the final print, unless you want to send me one. ;) I think you are a little over defensive about this? You asked for a critique and the response was good. Have you printed it yet and does the final print show a lower contrast? I think my point was a valid one but only an opinion and everyone sees it differently. :)

Sorry do not mean it to sound like it does, yes I have it printed and framed , the contrast is spot on that's why I answered that way I did, no offence intended, if you would like to see a sample print contact me through my web site and I will send free of charge  :)

Martin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up