Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Chess Game  (Read 1885 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Another Chess Game
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »

-
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

Re: Another Chess Game
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »

Both of these work for me. The thing that grabs me about #1 is the woman looking directly at you through the window at the top. In #2 the girl sucking her thumb while she plays chess is funny. I assume she was nervous about losing...

The B&W tonality in both is quite sumptuous, as we've come to expect from you, although they both look a wee bit over-sharpened to me.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:08:34 am »

No wonder the woman in the first image - looking through the window - is looking pained. The players have the board set up the wrong way round. The white Queen should be on the white square. I wonder how the game ended? I think that image two is preferable. A nice triangular pose by the players and the spectator.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:37:51 am »

No wonder the woman in the first image - looking through the window - is looking pained. The players have the board set up the wrong way round. The white Queen should be on the white square. I wonder how the game ended? I think that image two is preferable. A nice triangular pose by the players and the spectator.

I love puns; especially when I see them without help!

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:31:44 pm by Rob C »

RSL

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:15:04 am »

Thanks, pop. Yes, I love the "paned" glance of that woman too. I've always enjoyed street shots of groups of people. Almost invariably at least one person in the group sees the photographer. Then there's HCB's "Lock at Bougival" where the only person in the picture who sees the photographer is one of the dogs.

I took a closer look at the uploaded shots on my own monitor and I don't see any signs of over-sharpening. On the other hand, I normally sharpen for printing, so I often have to be careful to make a second less-sharpened copy for upload. I didn't do that this time.

Stamper, I played a lot of chess when I was in high school, and later when I was in pilot training, but it's been a long time since my last game. Unless my antique memory is failing, in the initial setup it's the king that takes his board color - which is the way this board is set up.

Here's one for Rob from the same shoot (yesterday). I like this one better in color.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:05:21 pm »

I am afraid not Russ. The white Queen goes on the Light square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chess_board_opening_staunton.jpg

I played the game for over thirty years. Club chess, tournament and correspondence chess. I have lost to some of the best players in Scotland. I still have over a hundred books in the house, despite giving up eight years ago.

RSL

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:19:30 pm »

You're right, Stamper. Obviously my antique memory is failing.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »

I am afraid not Russ. The white Queen goes on the Light square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chess_board_opening_staunton.jpg

I played the game for over thirty years. Club chess, tournament and correspondence chess. I have lost to some of the best players in Scotland. I still have over a hundred books in the house, despite giving up eight years ago.

That's nothing: I'd lose to all of them.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:38:48 pm »

Thanks, pop. Yes, I love the "paned" glance of that woman too. I've always enjoyed street shots of groups of people. Almost invariably at least one person in the group sees the photographer. Then there's HCB's "Lock at Bougival" where the only person in the picture who sees the photographer is one of the dogs.

I took a closer look at the uploaded shots on my own monitor and I don't see any signs of over-sharpening. On the other hand, I normally sharpen for printing, so I often have to be careful to make a second less-sharpened copy for upload. I didn't do that this time.

Stamper, I played a lot of chess when I was in high school, and later when I was in pilot training, but it's been a long time since my last game. Unless my antique memory is failing, in the initial setup it's the king that takes his board color - which is the way this board is set up.

Here's one for Rob from the same shoot (yesterday). I like this one better in color.

Ah Russ, you break my heart: I prefer 'em with the legs shaved. Women, that is, not hearts.

:-(

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:55:25 pm »

Good point, Rob. It struck me they were just dirty, but I brought up the .PDF version and blew it up on screen, and you're right. I guess that's a lib thing.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:20:01 pm »

Good point, Rob. It struck me they were just dirty, but I brought up the .PDF version and blew it up on screen, and you're right. I guess that's a lib thing.

Yes, just like armpits, but that seems to be more of a European thing.

My own razor has died but is still under guarantee; that happened last week and the intentional beard is getting competition from the other facial bits. I think I'll wait until the razor either comes back or I am given a replacement. I don't trust myself with open blades near my throat so why take a chance?

I'll ignore the first few good reasons - don't bother sending them along.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up