Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for 4/5 bay FW800 hard drive enclosure - any recommendations?  (Read 2474 times)

Sean Klingelhoefer

So I'm looking into building a new storage system, doesn't need to be state of the art by any means, I'm hoping to find a good enclosure for $400 or less that is hot swappable with at least two FW800 ports. There are a lot of options out there so I figured I'd ask and see what the experts recommend. I was initially looking into a Drobo, but I've since read lots of really bad things, particularly in write-speed. Again I'm not looking for something ultra-fast, but I figure around 70-80mb/s would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

andyptak

I've always had good luck with Sans Digital. Reasonably priced and well built.

pschefz

lacie 4big quadra....have several of those....have recommended them to friends and colleagues...they are great....lacie has great phone support as well...i run them as raid 5 on fw800...
schefz.com
artloch.com

josh_m

Re: Looking for 4/5 bay FW800 hard drive enclosure - any recommendations?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »

This post is from over a month ago, but it took me several months to actually decide when I went through this process, so I figure you won't mind a reply

If you're after a RAID (which I'm assuming), I recently built a 12TB (4x3TB) with an OWC Mercury Pro Qx2 for $300 (+$800 for the drives, ouch). FW800, USB2, and for when a Thunderbolt<->eSATA connector comes out, eSATA.

I did find some other slightly cheaper options, but they were generic Chinese ones and I'd rather not trust critical business data to them.

Link here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/
Pages: [1]   Go Up