Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M10?  (Read 16591 times)

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Leica M10?
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

Hi there

Never owned one, but might just be in the market to buy one in the coming year.

Anyone know of any potenial M10 in the production pipeline. I've waited this long, I am willing to wait longer. Or is the M9 going to be it for the yrs to come.

Reading Thom Hogans Jan 2010 article, and given the success of the fuji x100 with the future potential for future Fuji higher end models, is it likely Leica is going to speed up development to remain competitive or are they a stubborn old company that rests on the past success.

As i am not familiar with the companies new product cycle, anyone here have a crystal ball?

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Re: Leica M10?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »

telyt

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

Typically a small tweak to a Leica model means the initial demand has levelled off and they needed to pump up demand again.  It also probably means another model is under development but isn't ready for market yet.  Once they start making 'special editions' the new model is either in production or very close to it.  I'll be surprised if Leica doesn't have a replacement for the M9 at Photokina 2012.

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

canlogic

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »

Saw when Daniels was asked in an interview they would have the M10 t the the next photokina   
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

animalland

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »

I just hope Leica can put a BETTER lcd on M10, I am not asking for too much, am I?  :(

dseelig

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:24:20 am »

All I want for an M10 is 6400 iso that is as good as a canon mk 1v . Lcd should be better. Megapixels can stay the same.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:52 am »

Hi,

That would probably demand a CMOS sensor and new processing pipeline, don't bet on it.

Leica could of course team up with Sony for an advanced CMOS sensor with massive parallell converters. Would be nice, but I guess won't happen...

Erik

All I want for an M10 is 6400 iso that is as good as a canon mk 1v . Lcd should be better. Megapixels can stay the same.
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »

Why is there concern about screens on this camera? As long as you can see the histogram, what more do you need on a street/stealth weapon? Focussing? On the hoof? Never! Get the high ISO as great as with the D700 and you're on a winner. Oh, and a shakin' dust killer ain't no drag neither!

Rob C

schrodingerscat

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:23 pm »

LCD is just fine on the M9. If concerned about scratching the window, there's several inexpensive solutions. Have a hard plastic cover on mine and don't even notice it's there.

The Kodak CCD is wonderful, there must be a reason they're used in the Hubble and every other space probe, as well as MF backs. Very usable files up to 1600 ISO. Heck, in the film days we were perfectly happy with 800(grain and all).

It's not a DSLR, which is why I ditched the 5D MK II. And what does a digi M have to do with a Fuji P&S? Leica has always been a niche product, and is probably not too concerned about what the mass merchandisers are up to.

kevin2i

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »

An APS-C (or larger) mirrorless interchangeable system will be introduced at Photokina 2012. 

http://leicarumors.com/2011/06/22/leica-to-launch-a-new-compact-mirrorless-system-camera-at-photokina-2012.aspx/

As for Live view - it certainly is possible with CCD.  Kodak announced a 28.8 MP  FF sensor (but some claim it will not be M-compatible).  Why would Kodak make this for anybody but Leica?  Truesense vs bayer also sounds interesting.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/business/ISS/News/pressReleases/archive/2010/pr2.jhtml

Hi there

Never owned one, but might just be in the market to buy one in the coming year.

Anyone know of any potential M10 in the production pipeline.  . . .
As i am not familiar with the companies new product cycle, anyone here have a crystal ball?

JeanMichel

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »

Hi,

I received my M9 a few days ago. Tried it  as soon as possible with my really old Leica lenses (35 Summicron from 1960, 50 Summicron from 1968, 135 Tele Elmarit from 1973 and a tiny 21 mm Voigtlander). One of the first settings that I made was to turn off the display -- it serves no photographic purpose other than to check the histogram from time to time, so while it would be nice to have a display similar to that of my 5D2 it really is a non-issue. I also purchased a Thumbs Up and a shutter button "Boop" -- both are really mandatory in order to use the camera. I did wait for a future M9 when the M8 came out but I am to old to wait for an M10. The M9 is expensive, it supposedly has flaws -- lots of complaints, real or imagined, on the Leica forum -- it is not a dSLR, does not have LiveView, ISO 1250 is probably the limit for low light, and so on but it feels natural in the hand. Not sure why, but with the M9 I seem to be more frugal with the number of shots I make, almost as if I thought that I had film in the camera when every frame cost. But, before sinking the $$$$ make sure that a rangefinder is what you want. I don't know of a rental place in Canada, but maybe rentals are available in some other country.

Jean-Michel

250swb

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:41:46 am »

If an M10 appeared next year I don't think it will be as big a jump away from the M9 as many think. In fact I would bet the M9 will continue to be run alongside it, almost as a 'lite' model, and which many people will still prefer to buy, Leicaphiles not generally enjoying complication in their photography. The whole point of an M camera for most people not coming directly from a DSLR background (who enjoy all the bells and whistles) is not 'how much can we add to a design', but 'how much can we leave out'. It creeps up on you eventually, but 'Live View' and things like that are total bollocks for most Leica users, a usable 2500 ISO and fast lenses is good enough for most people who don't want to make nightime look like daylight, and anything to make the camera bigger will loose Leica sales.

So Leica are most likely going to use the new mirrorless camera as the technology platform along with the S2. They are not going to make a big technology jump with the M at the same time, or any time soon. Thats what I think, and I'm sticking to it  ;D

Steve

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:26:50 am »

Let's not forget that they are running a full capacity in the plant in Germany (on the M9). Not an ideal time to make a big change.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:01 am »

Only change I'd like to see is that new kodak 29 megapixel sensor...that would make me seriously consider selling the M9 for an m10... Keep in mind that I do landscapes with my M9. Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »

Only change I'd like to see is that new kodak 29 megapixel sensor...that would make me seriously consider selling the M9 for an m10... Keep in mind that I do landscapes with my M9. Eleanor

Hi Eleanor

I never did have a Leica - never got around to it for many reasons, mostly to do with the need to fill the space very accurately, and thinking of swapping slr systems mid-stream would have been crazy, even for me, quite apart from the Leica slr not having a 100% viewing screen which the F series did.

However, now out to pasture, I would love such a camera (as M9) for mainly the reasons 250swb pointed out: I hate too many menus and avoid using almost everything that's 'automatic' beyond Matrix metering which, for me, works like a charm.

If anything surprises me, it's that Nikon hasn't attacked Leica and gone for a rangefinder of its own. They had a good record of such cameras prior to the F reflex, and with the sensor in the D700 transplanted into an rf body, wow! And I don't think they'd need such a huge range of lenses, either: why have anything wider than 28mm or longer than 100? Not the sort of camera system you'd choose for tele work nor, I imagine, anything that needs 24mm and wider. So, 28m, 50mm and 100mm woud fit very nicely, at least for a start... I wonder if they have ever thought along such lines?

Rob C

AndrewMcD

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »

The Kodak CCD is wonderful, there must be a reason they're used in the Hubble and every other space probe, as well as MF backs. Very usable files up to 1600 ISO. Heck, in the film days we were perfectly happy with 800(grain and all).

It's not a DSLR, which is why I ditched the 5D MK II. And what does a digi M have to do with a Fuji P&S? Leica has always been a niche product, and is probably not too concerned about what the mass merchandisers are up to.

Well, in the bad old days, my M3 was the one camera that I could shoot handheld at 1/15 sec and get a decent image in low light. Yeah, I had steady hands.

So, to extrapolate forward, I would expect the Leica to continue being my go-to lowlight tool. It's not. I hate that I have to carry my lumpy great Nikon around. Instead of Leica, I'm looking at Fuji and others for a replacement for my M.

Honestly, I've stopped paying attention to Leica, they are the Range Rover of cameras in the US. Capable, yes, but not the best tool for the money.

Pages: [1]   Go Up