Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Museo Portfolio Rag and Canon X300 Printers  (Read 3807 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Museo Portfolio Rag and Canon X300 Printers
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:55 am »

I am trying out the Museo Portfolio Rag paper (or rather I am attempting to do so) and have run into a problem. I have downloaded the profile for the paper from Museo's website here: http://www.museofineart.com/index.php/icc-profiles/

When I try to load the .am1 custom media configuration file into my IPF6350 I get an error message. See attached. Ignore the epson stuff in the pic, thats just the web page behind the driver window when i did a screen grab. I am using the latest version of the media configuration tool and all firmware etc. is up to date.

Without belabouring the point - its frustrating me no end. Ideally, this file should load so that the ink delivery, vaccume strength, paper type are all automatically set in the printer when this paper is selected. Without it.. well I have to guess at all these things. and that sucks as I only have a few sheets here to try and not enough to experiment with for these settings.

I suspect, that the media configuration files on Museo's website are all written for the 8300 printer. My understanding is each model actually needs its own specific file - hence the reason it isnt working on the 6350 in my studio. I downloaded all of their other files for their other papers all with the same result.

I would be hugely appreciative if anyone with either an 8300 or 6300 or 6350 could download the file and see if they get the same result. It only takes a minute to check and you can delete the file afterward in the media configuration tool.

Ive X posted this to the Canon Wiki - but hopefully someone here will be able to chime in or help as its pretty quiet over there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:27:12 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

Re: Museo Portfolio Rag and Canon X300 Printers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:42:16 am »

I found this post over at the Wiki: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/22799227

It's good to see a few paper manufacturers releasing a custom media type type file along with their profiles.

Unfortunately, Canon chose to make the AM1 files model-specific. So the profiles and custom media types that folks like Moab and Crane Museo are releasing only work with the 8300, not the 6300/6350. Any attempt to import these AM1 files result in an "file is corrupt" error, which means the profiles are useless for 6300/6350 users.

I wonder why Canon would that, it's just going to be a big headache for people wanting to share media types and profiles between multiple printers.

If anybody has a chance to look at the custom media types Crane has released for Museo Max and Silver Rag on an 8300 I'd be curious to know what the settings are.

I am now pretty positive that this is the problem I am experiencing.

This being the case.. has anyone printed with Portfolio Rag on the Canon? If so, what media setting did you find worked best?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

colinm

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:31:22 pm »

I downloaded a bunch of AM1 files to see if there's any easy way around this, and the answer is... maybe.

Within a model family (63X0, 83X0), every third-party file I've checked is identical other than the model identifier. A 6350 or 6300 file could theoretically be converted easily for use with the other model. From a cursory glance there doesn't appear to be any kind of signature built into the file that would prevent modification. (But I don't currently have an imagePROGRAF at my disposal to tinker with, so I can't verify this.)

Going across model families, it gets a little murkier. In some cases the files are structured completely differently, in some cases it's just the model identifier and a few minor changes. This appears to simply relate to differing Media Tool versions having generated the file, as I'm only seeing it where different versions are recorded.

If you're feeling plucky, I'd be happy to edit Museo's media type to make it appear to be a 6350 file. I make absolutely no warranty about what may or may not happen if you try it, though. ;)
Colin

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »

I thought of editing the file as well - but opening it in a text editor just yields a huge amount of 'machine code' that is above my pay grade ;D

If you feel its an easy modification I am happy to give it a try and greatly appreciate the offer.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »

I hacked it using the Visual Studio binary editor. Attached is the file. Only change is I switched "830" at the top of the file to "635".

Absolutely no warranties, use at your own risk, completely untested, your mileage my vary, etc.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

neile

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:23 pm »

And on the off chance that Canon lumps 6300 and 6350 in as the same printer, here's the same file edited so it has "630" at the start.

Absolutely no warranties, use at your own risk, completely untested, your mileage my vary, etc.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:59 pm »

Thanks for trying Neil - that is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the media configuration tool must check more than the file name as the hacked file produces the same error message.

I'll email Museo and see if they can produce a file for the 6350 printer.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

neile

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »

Bummer :(
Neil Enns

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

That's a bummer Crane Museo still hasn't fixed this, I brought it to their attention over a year ago and they said they would correct the 63xx profiles. Your best bet is to find somebody with an 8300 who can load the AM1 and then tell you the settings it uses so that you can recreate the media type.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

neile

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:06:21 pm »

Done.

Name in Printer Driver: Portfolio Rag
Name on Printer Control Panel: Portfolio Rag
Paper Name (English): Portfolio Rag
Standard Paper: Special 10
Head Height: Auto
Vacuum Strength: Auto
Cutting Mode: User Cut
Borderless Printing: Permit
Drying Time: Off
Maximum Ink Usage: Hight

Neil
Neil Enns

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »

Thank you Neil - that is greatly appreciated. ;D

[EDIT-] Ok..grabbed a roll of portfolio rag and done a heap of testing tonight - with some interesting results.

I had thought I would find the settings for the 8300 would be the right ones for a 6350; but not so. Not even close.

Cant use 'Special 10' on the 63xx series as for some reason it screws up printing on A4 (no idea why; but I suspect it is something to do with the different way sheets are loaded into 63xx vs. 8300 printers). I tried it a few times in case I had screwed up a setting somewhere; but it just doesnt work with A4 sheets. Wasted a bit of paper trying this.

Best paper choice on a 63xx after trialling all the matt paper options is Premium Matt Paper (which is incidentally, same as Moab's Somerset Museum Rag custom media configuration file)

Head Height: Standard and Vaccume Strength: Strongest

Because the paper choice was different I decided to also run a test in ink levels and this differs as well. A setting of high is way way to much and has the ink almost pooling on the 63xx. Settings of Medium High and Standard show visible bleeding. Low, Medium Low and Canon Standard all look visibly identical (to my subjective eyes). Looking under a Schneider loupe the Canon standard setting appears the crispest (maybe - its really too close to call) - so I went with that. There is no apparent difference in depth of colour. Incidently.. these settings work out exactly the same as Moab Somerset Museum Rag; which makes a lot of sense since these are both 300gsm 100% cotton rag papers that even look almost identical. The Museo is a shade warmer and a touch smoother.

Anyway; hopefully this may help anyone else with Museo Portfolio Rag and a 63xx series printer. X Posted to the Canon Wiki.

Interesting that the settings are quite different from 8300 series printers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:03:20 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:29:58 am »

Screen grab of the settings for Moab Somerset Museum Rag on the IPF6350. These are also the best settings for Museo Portfolio Rag on the 6300/6350 as per testing above.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

neile

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:53 am »

The fact that premium matte paper was the base type to choose doesn't surprise me. I've yet to find a matte paper where that isn't the right one to pick :)

Neil
Neil Enns
Pages: [1]   Go Up